Tal J-8

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Gas Giant - TAL J-8 Presets TAL-J-8

Using a DAW isn't a solution for preset designers. But for a user/producer simple automation would be the quickest way. Would be good to have the little flexibility in modulation beyond what the original had.

I think this extended feature would be as important and valid for producers as it would be for preset makers, of whom I am one, admittedly. However, I'm posting here as a 'producer', wanting to see J-8 being improved for all. As I mentioned in my other post, in the heat of the moment, when I'm looking for a preset (yes, I do use presets - mostly my own :hihi: ), I just want to load the preset and go! I don't want to then start wasting time by having to assign extra modulation to the mod-wheel and aftertouch via the internal mod system of a DAW.

I don't know how people work, when they create music, but myself, I don't want to get bogged down in sound design at certain points in the production process. I just want to find a preset, load it and play! But, it would be so nice to have more options for the mod-wheel and aftertouch in J-8, beyond the LFO>Pitch, LFO>VCF options. For example, I'd love to assign X-mod to the mod-wheel. It begs for it. :)

I'd say that this idea - of extending modulation options beyond the strict emulation - is relevant to some other emulation synths as well.
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

Did you suggest it to Patrick? He seems generally open to requests but doesn’t seem to pop into KVR regularly.

I recently picked up the preset pack from this video. I don't usually buy presets, but this has some really well done BOC style patches, and it was cheap:
https://youtu.be/jkRw2Bj-BmI

Hi All..
Been awhile since posting on this thread.
Still quite enjoying my J-8.

Found out about this today.. a very unexpected direction for the J-8.

Of course it being from EH, I just had to get my hands on it.

http://www.electric-himalaya.com/j-8-te ... piter.html

rsp

edit: ah he has a thread about it here:
viewtopic.php?f=257&t=573567&p=8271757& ... 8#p8271757
sound sculptist

Seems Patrick is having a 20% off BF sale.
rsp
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
sound sculptist

himalaya wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:46 am But, it would be so nice to have more options for the mod-wheel and aftertouch in J-8, beyond the LFO>Pitch, LFO>VCF options. For example, I'd love to assign X-mod to the mod-wheel. It begs for it. :)

I'd say that this idea - of extending modulation options beyond the strict emulation - is relevant to some other emulation synths as well.
Totally agree with you.

I love the sound of emulations like J8, The Legend, Diva, Repro, etc, but I don't get why they are so limited in terms of modulations.

pierb wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:43 pm
himalaya wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:46 am But, it would be so nice to have more options for the mod-wheel and aftertouch in J-8, beyond the LFO>Pitch, LFO>VCF options. For example, I'd love to assign X-mod to the mod-wheel. It begs for it. :)

Totally agree with you.

I love the sound of emulations like J8, The Legend, Diva, Repro, etc, but I don't get why they are so limited in terms of modulations.
Bitwig overcomes many of these limitation. I would imagine max for live as well. Just putting it out there.

pierb wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:43 pm I love the sound of emulations like J8, The Legend, Diva, Repro, etc, but I don't get why they are so limited in terms of modulations.
They are emulations, is why, but moreover, not everybody wants a zillion mod routing possibilities in front of them every time they open up a synth. Working within the limitations and being creative with what is allowed can be a very rewarding challenge. Every time I open up Massive X and look at the 60+ wavetables to choose from, the nearly dozen 'wavetable fx' for each, and the dozen types of synthesis I can perform on these....I get choice paralysis more than I get inspired.

mholloway wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:30 pm
pierb wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:43 pm I love the sound of emulations like J8, The Legend, Diva, Repro, etc, but I don't get why they are so limited in terms of modulations.
They are emulations, is why, but moreover, not everybody wants a zillion mod routing possibilities in front of them every time they open up a synth. Working within the limitations and being creative with what is allowed can be a very rewarding challenge. Every time I open up Massive X and look at the 60+ wavetables to choose from, the nearly dozen 'wavetable fx' for each, and the dozen types of synthesis I can perform on these....I get choice paralysis more than I get inspired.
But...each one of those you mention actually offers features not found in the original hardware.
I don't think those of us who have mentioned extended modulation capability are after a zillion of mod routings. Far from it (besides, J-8 does not have a hundred potential mod destinations, let allone zillions :hihi: ) A well selected set of mod-destinations would suffice. It would be limited but would greatly extend what can be assigned to the mod-wheel, aftertouch and velocity. This could be achieved by a new module that would be hidden behind 'Extended Mod' button. So, if all you'd want to see is the original signal flow, that's all you'd get, but those who wish to assign more to the mod wheel/aftertouch than the extreme basics, could do so too.

Equating a few more modulation options (that would be hidden by deafult) with Massive X and its complex signal routing is not helfpul as it paints a skewed picture of what is being discussed. A well designed 'Extended Mod' panel would never get in your way. You'd never get 'choice paralysis'. It would be there for those situations when you have finished making a great souding patch, but think to yourself, "Gosh! if only I could assign cross-mod amount to the mod-wheel quickly".
http://www.electric-himalaya.com
VSTi and hardware synth sound design
3D/5D sound design since 2012

I agree, having more choices for the mod wheel would be great and wouldn’t go « beyond » the emulation concept. I think u-he did it well with repro.

perpetual3 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:08 pm Bitwig overcomes many of these limitation. I would imagine max for live as well. Just putting it out there.
I'm a Bitwig user and that's true, but the modulation on third party synths is not per voice.

BTW Polysynth sounds fantastic.

Hi. I’m having hard times with cross modulation : I can’t make it sound but too harsh. Do you have any settings to recommand for « not so destroyed » sounds ? The calibration setting is not described in the user manual and changing it doesn’t make any « usefull » change. Thanks !

SebAV wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:22 pm I agree, having more choices for the mod wheel would be great and wouldn’t go « beyond » the emulation concept. I think u-he did it well with repro.
Here-here. U-he asked "Por que no los dos?"

Of course, they do everything right. :)

What's the lowest sale price for TAL J-8? I like the sound of the Roland Cloud Jupiter 8, but the CPU usage is too high. TAL did a great job with CPU efficiency.

Return to “Instruments”