Arturia Jup-8 V4

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Just thought I'd create a topic about this synth, because, I didn't see that it gets much talk about.

https://www.arturia.com/products/analog ... v/overview

I just played with it briefly, and also compared it to the TAL J-8 side by side, and, I must say that I'm pleasantly surprised about the Arturia. The filter tone is very similar between these 2. The Arturia sounds a bit brighter in general (at least from what I hear), so, they're a tad different in overall character. All in all, I don't really sense much inbetween the two, although I surely need to play around with the Arturia one a bit more.

The way I see it, Arturia really seems to have upped their game lately. I already like the Phase Bi-Tron a lot, and their plate reverb isn't half bad either.

What do you think?

I hope the oscillators are free range
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:00 pm I hope the oscillators are free range
only on laptops.
but then they are also battery.

vurt wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:03 pm
only on laptops.
That's terrible. I can't bear oscillators that are not fed on grass and allowed to run free.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

revvy wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:04 pm
vurt wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:03 pm
only on laptops.
That's terrible. I can't bear oscillators that are not fed on grass and allowed to run free.
:tu:

sync is for the dishes.

One wrong word and the thread is done :hihi:

Well, I've also been playing around with Arturia to decide whether I really need the update to the V8 or the update to the Jupiter v4... and it's difficult!
Probably a lot of user feel the same way, that's why there's not a lot of talk about it.
Maybe TAL is more interesting at the moment, especially because of the price and of course because the developer has quite a good reputation.

To level my opinion a tad (if that is necessary :D), I also tried the Juno-6 V now, and didn't like it half as much as the Jup. Guess it's because of the stronger resonance. I think Arturia has always been a bit off when it comes to modelling highly resonant filters. The same was the case with the Mini V. The Jup 8 filter sounds nice though, but, it's not too resonant.

I just installed the Arturia Jup-8 V demo which snuck the Arturia Software Center on as well (Grrrr. :x)

First thing I noticed there is no Dual Mode ? Am I missing it ?

Just doing a quick filter sweep and to me the Tal version is far superior not even factoring in the Dual mode. Of course that's a matter of personal taste. The Arturia version seems a bit....sterile for the lack of a better term where the Tal version seems to have more attitude. Again all subjective.

I do like the Arturia GUI quite a bit more but at $199 is their version $130 better than the Tal version? Meh I don't think so...... :?

So I'll have Tal's feature set, price, and lack of a Software manager app with Arturia's Gui please. :tu:

Now off to rid myself of the Arturia Software Center.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:17 am
I do like the Arturia GUI quite a bit more but at $199 is their version $130 better than the Tal version? Meh I don't think so...... :?
That's also the upgrade price for the bundle. The trick with Arturia is to collect the freebies and also the pack in software that comes with their midi controllers. Then wait for the 50% sale and use those to get the bundle at a discounted price.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

I have two of the freebies. Here's my "offer". $399

Arturia.png

Oh and I once bought one of their midi controllers. The Pitch Bend Return to Zero spring broke the first time I used it. I've never bought any of their hardware since. :shrug:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

There is no "Key Mode" allowing for Duals and Splits. It is stuck with the prior version of Jup-8V "Whole" mode... meaning one patch for the entire key range. A drag... The timbres are great.. better imo than prior versions. The effects no longer use the 'Galaxy' thingie, but instead has an "Advanced" button that has (again imo) far better modulation options, sequencer, velocity/aftertouch/Mod Wheel assignments and control, and some (10+)Effects. All told - timbres sound a boatload better than the earlier versions I have (to repeat myself). I am near pulling the trigger on the Jupiter / VC 8.. but will likely wait until next year's holidays and hopefully snag the updates for $99 again.

Teksonik wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:12 am I have two of the freebies. Here's my "offer". $399

Arturia.png

Oh and I once bought one of their midi controllers. The Pitch Bend Return to Zero spring broke the first time I used it. I've never bought any of their hardware since. :shrug:
Wait for the next sale. I only have the freebies. In November they had a 50% off sale and the cross grade to V. Collection was $199 for me. Thats not bad for over 20 instruments. They usually have sales in summer and during Black Friday.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Teksonik wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:17 am Just doing a quick filter sweep and to me the Tal version is far superior not even factoring in the Dual mode. Of course that's a matter of personal taste. The Arturia version seems a bit....sterile for the lack of a better term where the Tal version seems to have more attitude. Again all subjective.
I agree with that, the Arturia one sounds a bit sterile to me too in comparison. It's pretty close though, which I didn't expect.

I quite like the Arturia, its basic sound quality and the number of presets it comes with. For $29 upgrade I couldn't resist.
A well-behaved signature.

Return to “Instruments”