Arturia Jup-8 V4

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I can't explain exactly what they're doing to brighten the sound, some kind of saturation I would guess. Boosting the amplitude of the harmonics I believe. Best you ask the developer if you want to know specifics.

Here is a visual taken with an oscilloscope. First tone you hear is a basic saw in Serum. Second tones you hear are the TAL J-8, and me playing with the VCO knob.

https://youtu.be/IZUW-_-Tu50

Duplicate. Sorry.
Last edited by Weasel-Boy on Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
On a number of Macs

Arashi wrote:
This is the first I've heard anything about the 12- vs. 14-bit Jupiter-8 having any difference in brightness. As far as I know, that change was made for tuning stability, and has no effect on anything else.
You are probably right and I am incorrect in my thinking. What I have noticed on my scope is that the leading edge of the saw wave becoming sharper, creating a sort of an additional initial 6dB spike with more pronounced harmonics on the upward ramp as the knob is turned up. This would certainly explain the brightness.
On a number of Macs

Jkist wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 7:20 am I can't explain exactly what they're doing to brighten the sound, some kind of saturation I would guess. Boosting the amplitude of the harmonics I believe. Best you ask the developer if you want to know specifics.

Here is a visual taken with an oscilloscope. First tone you hear is a basic saw in Serum. Second tones you hear are the TAL J-8, and me playing with the VCO knob.
Thanks. I get it now. Looks like waveshaping. It does indeed add more harmonic content. Anyway, that satisfies my curiosity!
Stormchild

Weasel-Boy wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:03 amYou are probably right and I am incorrect in my thinking. What I have noticed on my scope is that the leading edge of the saw wave becoming sharper, creating a sort of an additional initial 6dB spike with more pronounced harmonics on the upward ramp as the knob is turned up. This would certainly explain the brightness.
Yeah…the above video above makes it pretty clear. Don't know exactly what it's meant to simulate…maybe some JP-8s just sound brighter for whatever reason. Friend of mine has one, but otherwise I haven't encountered many real ones, so I don't have much first experience in how they differ.
Stormchild

utesseract wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:08 am I hate the fact that they removed its original presets
They are not removed. You can find them in the browser by selecting "Vintage Factory" filter in the Styles > Characteristics section.

Kevin [Arturia] wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:47 pm
utesseract wrote: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:08 am I hate the fact that they removed its original presets
They are not removed. You can find them in the browser by selecting "Vintage Factory" filter in the Styles > Characteristics section.
Oh ok, sorry for misinformation :)

I liked the GUI (because it's pretty), and it sounds a little better than V3. But to me, the TAL J-8 is the better plugin in everything else so I will keep it.

Has someone used it alongside Repro-5 ? It sudenly became very insignificant. It was weird !
Also it sounds so different than TAL that I wonder what is the purpose of an emulation versus a good sounding synth…
Jup-8 gui is great really

I think the new version of Jup-8 V sounds really good. Nice job Arturia!

it went from one of their worst GUIs to possibly their best. Crazy how much it can change on the same emulation. It's too bad they didn't have the same clarity on the Jun-60. That one seems more similar to the older Jupiter-8.

Return to “Instruments”