great free bass exciter/deepener for soft synths?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRist
350 posts since 18 Nov, 2010

Post Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:36 am

I'm asking here instead of EFFECTS because you guys and gals actually use and mix SOFT SYNTHS.
So, knowing many FREE soft synths are a little weak on the deep/wide/full/round/warm BASS end, what are you all using to fill it out a bit? Besides the basic EQ bell curve at 100hz?

What kind FREE bass exciters, enhancers etc work best for your needs?
I been staring at a page full of KVR free bass fixers, but no clue what to try.
To equate, I feel DIVA nails that ROUND full analog bass thing, what can help the others out?

User avatar
KVRAF
29446 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:40 am

You could try Bass Professor for free, or bx_subsynth when its next on sale (demo is free).

KVRian
736 posts since 18 Apr, 2011

Post Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:09 am

One thing you can try is routing the bass track to a send, and filtering pre and/or post a saturation/distortion unit. This is basically what an exciter is.

KVRAF
3345 posts since 21 Mar, 2020 from Gothenburg, Sweden

Post Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:16 am

I highly recommend Bass Professor and especially Bass Professor Mark II. They are both free.

https://vst4free.com/dev/565/
Sad about tomorrow
Sorry, but it's not my fault

User avatar
KVRAF
2877 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Post Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:20 am

Many synths have an onboard equalizer by now, that should be enough.
It's not that Diva produced frequencies other synths don't. And Diva is a bit on the dull side, so one automatically perceives the low and mid frequencies as being stronger.

Not to mention a little bit of sub-oscillator on the sound design front.

KVRian
1119 posts since 9 Jan, 2013 from morf

Post Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:16 pm

https://www.airwindows.com/subsonly/
https://www.airwindows.com/pafnuty-vst/
These can help, although it’s depends on the sound
I also like smooth, although meant for drums, I’ve been using it for bass, which I like :)
https://www.airwindows.com/smooth-vst/

I like using distance with a setting around the middle, adjust to taste and use dry wet or a separate output
https://www.airwindows.com/distance-vst/
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

KVRist

Topic Starter

350 posts since 18 Nov, 2010

Post Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:21 pm

e-crooner wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 11:20 am
Many synths have an onboard equalizer by now, that should be enough.
It's not that Diva produced frequencies other synths don't. And Diva is a bit on the dull side, so one automatically perceives the low and mid frequencies as being stronger.

Not to mention a little bit of sub-oscillator on the sound design front.
I am fairly happy with some basic EQ, but I still feel like DIVA is producing waves closer to real analog by doing SOMETHING different. I want to use the word "Rounder" or "Fuller" to describe to describe it, not just more bass. I don't feel its related to rolled off high end. Do appreciate your feedback though.

Looks like there's a couple hits on the same stuff, plus more. I'll check'em out!

User avatar
KVRAF
2877 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Post Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:46 pm

I don't have Diva anymore, do you think the same of Repro's bass? I still have that demo version. If you have Repro 5, is there a bass in the factory presets that shows what you mean?

User avatar
KVRAF
7556 posts since 11 Jun, 2006

Post Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:41 pm

look at free tube saturation plugs like IVGI2 or headcrusher
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

KVRist

Topic Starter

350 posts since 18 Nov, 2010

Post Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:36 pm

e-crooner wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:46 pm
I don't have Diva anymore, do you think the same of Repro's bass? I still have that demo version. If you have Repro 5, is there a bass in the factory presets that shows what you mean?
downloading R5 to see. just did tests of Diva against a couple other modern freeware synths - listening, watching spectrums, still cant put my finger on it... even adding more bass or using the enhancers increased the bass, but didn't make the same ROUND tone. Just u-he magic I guess.

R5: AZ BOUNCE BASS. I pulled up Diva, Repro5, Odin2, Surrealistic MG-1 and, I'm not a good programmer, but kinda dialed them in similar - not scientific at all, just ball park. Tried SURGE too but I don't know how to program it and it sounded too different.
Both Diva and Repro5 offered a more real tone than Odin and MG - granted they would ALL WORK PERFECT in any song. Will see if I can attach an audio file... ...nope... maybe drop box?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yl444l28liarg ... s.mp3?dl=0

Sound: 1- Diva, 2 - Repro5, 3 - Odin2, 4 - Surrealistic MG-1

KVRAF
1927 posts since 3 Dec, 2006

Post Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:47 pm

Cool!

User avatar
KVRAF
2877 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Post Sun Jan 17, 2021 8:45 am

wwjd wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:36 pm
e-crooner wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:46 pm
I don't have Diva anymore, do you think the same of Repro's bass? I still have that demo version. If you have Repro 5, is there a bass in the factory presets that shows what you mean?
downloading R5 to see. just did tests of Diva against a couple other modern freeware synths - listening, watching spectrums, still cant put my finger on it... even adding more bass or using the enhancers increased the bass, but didn't make the same ROUND tone. Just u-he magic I guess.

R5: AZ BOUNCE BASS. I pulled up Diva, Repro5, Odin2, Surrealistic MG-1 and, I'm not a good programmer, but kinda dialed them in similar - not scientific at all, just ball park. Tried SURGE too but I don't know how to program it and it sounded too different.
Both Diva and Repro5 offered a more real tone than Odin and MG - granted they would ALL WORK PERFECT in any song. Will see if I can attach an audio file... ...nope... maybe drop box?
https://www.dropbox.com/s/yl444l28liarg ... s.mp3?dl=0

Sound: 1- Diva, 2 - Repro5, 3 - Odin2, 4 - Surrealistic MG-1
There is some odd noise in the Repro 5 audio, the Odin 2 audio sounds the worst to me. the Diva and Surrealistic ones the best, but not necessarily because of the bass.

KVRist

Topic Starter

350 posts since 18 Nov, 2010

Post Sun Jan 17, 2021 11:10 am

in the low parts, DIVA and R5 still have a different (better?) bass sound, even though they were all kinda close in the frequency graph showing. I think it is just that U-HE advanced programming magic, rather than me just throwing more bass enhancers on it. :D And I don't program much, so take my sound clip as very unscientific.

Other than the top end pluck sound, the ODIN and MG1 sound nearly identical to me

KVRist
37 posts since 24 Jul, 2006

Post Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:45 am

thecontrolcentre wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:40 am
or bx_subsynth when its next on sale (demo is free).
Or use the free bx_subfilter on any other synth that you want

User avatar
KVRist
428 posts since 17 Sep, 2014 from LPGC

Post Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:17 am

wwjd wrote:
Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:36 am
I'm asking here instead of EFFECTS because you guys and gals actually use and mix SOFT SYNTHS.
So, knowing many FREE soft synths are a little weak on the deep/wide/full/round/warm BASS end, what are you all using to fill it out a bit? Besides the basic EQ bell curve at 100hz?

What kind FREE bass exciters, enhancers etc work best for your needs?
I been staring at a page full of KVR free bass fixers, but no clue what to try.
To equate, I feel DIVA nails that ROUND full analog bass thing, what can help the others out?
I'd first try to figure out what exactly makes your Diva sounds so ROUND to your ears or better run some more objective, comparative frequency/phase/... analysis, etc...

Return to “Instruments”