Why don't all VST instruments come with a simple gain staging button ?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
32189 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from another dimension

Post Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:06 pm

:)
Hi-de-Hi!

KVRAF
5423 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:05 am

mjudge55 wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:00 pm
Tj Shredder wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:18 pm
I use something called fader for this purpose... I can’t remember a DAW which doesn’t have that on every channel. The big advantage of that is, that its usually assigned to my fader box... The other advantage its not fixed, I can adjust by ear...
We're talking about the stuff happening before the channel fader and 2-buss fader. Every sound source should have a reasonable level at the source or some plugins after it react unpredictably and sound bad. Reasonable level also prevents unpleasant loudness surprises and reduces the tendency to think something sounds better just because it's louder.

No condescension intended, if you're not up to speed on gain staging google will bring up lots of good info on it. If you are, maybe you're on some next level stuff I don't get. If that's the case, please give us the benefit of that wisdom.
Within the DAW and the plugins we deal with 32-bit math. That means there is no headroom problem as long fx are linear (delays, reverb, chorus, digital filters etc...). Emulations of analog gear or any non linear effect like distortion needs proper input level and has for that reason its own input control which is made for that. If a non linear fx doesn’t have an input control its badly designed, thats the place where it belongs. The output control in a synths should be part of the patch and it sole purpose is to ease level adjustments between different presets. If presets have very different levels blame the sound designer not the plugin dev...

KVRian
1193 posts since 10 Oct, 2018

Post Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:13 am

Some sounds are loud by nature, some are not. Or one has to use compression. But then again, it would make the mixing process more complex, because some sounds in a mix are louder than others.

addled muppet weed
76513 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:17 am

don't be lazy! use the synths volume knob, or lower the fader for now.
if you're auditioning presets why are you worrying about gain staging?

once you've decided on your sound, set everything right then :shrug:

KVRAF
29446 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:24 am

vurt wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:17 am

This ^^

KVRian
1193 posts since 10 Oct, 2018

Post Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:39 am

vurt wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:17 am

I've dld some banks from this site (Synth1), but some patches are incredibly loud, many are silent or almost.

https://www.thispatchdoesnotexist.com/

The gain and volume knobs of Synth1 are not really effective in that case. Maybe I miss something. However, some soft sounds already have a 100 gain/volume setting. That's why I am into synthesis now 😀

Return to “Instruments”