One Synth Challenge #144: Rand by Sampleson (schiing Wins! kylebenjamin grabs the single instance prize!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I kinda want to give myself another horrible level to this challenge and force myself to use every push of the button as a new track in the song, no tweaking, no exceptions. I also think this might be a terrible idea.

gorgorgathgorgorgor wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:58 pm I kinda want to give myself another horrible level to this challenge and force myself to use every push of the button as a new track in the song, no tweaking, no exceptions. I also think this might be a terrible idea.
I was also thinking of doing something kind of like that but yeah probably not the best idea in practice.

I think it’ll be interesting to see how people approach this. Ultimately this is a very basic synth but all of the essentials are there and the sound seems pretty decent to me.
How people use that random button will be the X factor (obviously). I can see some not using it much at all and just carving things out from scratch, whereas others may be relying a lot on the fates this round.

ELEX wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:27 pm No crackles here ( yet ? ) in REAPER ( 6.21, 64b, win 7 ). Always some stereo effect, though, even with the width-knob at minimum. Often leaning to the right in a not too pleasant manner.
Can confirm - sound leaning to the right side on Reaper v6.21. Probably gonna have to use some kind of mono plugin to counter this. Maybe something like this: https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... _solo.html
Edit: OK, so there is no need for external plugin on Reaper if you just want mono signal. Just right click pan, change pan law to stereo pan and set width to zero. But if you need to balance stereo, probably gonna need to fiddle with DAW settings more :D
Last edited by MrKarolus on Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Daaf 81 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:25 pm There's a weird crackling noise in my left headphone speaker when using this synth. Win, 64bit, reaper.
Yeah, it seems this is a problem in several DAWs. In Cakewalk and Mulab 7.7.4 too. Changing the audio drivers and audio settings fixes the problem as I have seen.

For example, in Cakewalk changing the driver mode from WASAPI Shared to WASAPI Exclusive solves the crackling. And in Mulab setting the audio driver in MME Audio Output, with the MME Block Size in 256 it ends with the crackling as well.

In Cakewalk I also have the problem that the sound changes every time I open or close the GUI, only one of the two oscillators working. :(

Crikey! So far it looks that this synth is filled with bugs :-o

ELEX wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:27 pm No crackles here ( yet ? ) in REAPER ( 6.21, 64b, win 7 ). Always some stereo effect, though, even with the width-knob at minimum. Often leaning to the right in a not too pleasant manner.
I can confirm,crackles in Reason,Reaper,FLstudio,set to mono can't solve.
Now I remeber why unistalled when it was Push,change the name don't solve the bugs
12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

MrKarolus wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:33 pm Crikey! So far it looks that this synth is filled with bugs :-o
Are you sure it's not a giant bug filled with synth? :troll:

Daaf 81 wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:25 pm There's a weird crackling noise in my left headphone speaker when using this synth. Win, 64bit, reaper. It's not on all patches, but certainly more than half the time I press the New Sound button. Will investigate some more. For my sanity's sake, I tested some other synths too, but none had this sound. So it's not my system thank god.
Yeah I had this last night. Was using my laptop and thought I'd broken the headphone jack!

Also had to mono drum sounds.

You can shift + click to enter specific values but the filter values when using the mouse give weird results... L.p. cut off too low and filter env has no effects

Why would you ship software with 3 none working filters?! Doesn't bode well for promoting any of their other products!

Despite all that though it does generate some very nice sounds, I just think it needs a slight makeover and fix of some of the bugs

Why is the value of the main gain knob in Hz instead of db? :neutral:

EscapeControl wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:35 pm Why is the value of the main gain knob in Hz instead of db? :neutral:
I think it’s part of the bugs, I’ve had it working, along with filters, then something goes Wrong ?
Also, looking at basic UI in reaper, only a few controls available :(
I do like the Subdrums They released though, & Fire bass :D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

I remember using rand when I started experimenting with sound design, last year. I liked his sounds, but also deleted it 'cause it had very strange noises coming out from nowhere. I'll give another try this month, but what I seee in the comments is that the bugs weren't solved, right?

Eauson wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:08 pm
EscapeControl wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 8:35 pm Why is the value of the main gain knob in Hz instead of db? :neutral:
I think it’s part of the bugs, I’ve had it working, along with filters, then something goes Wrong ?
If i remember correctly, this was the first synth they made. I remember him (forgot the guy's name) asking questions to Christopher Haart in Hise forum when was learning to use the platform.

Leo Amaral wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:20 pm
If i remember correctly, this was the first synth they made. I remember him (forgot the guy's name) asking questions to Christopher Haart in Hise forum when was learning to use the platform.
If Rand it's made with Hise doesn't break OSC main rule:no sample synth allowed?
12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

reusenoise wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:56 pm
Leo Amaral wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:20 pm
If Rand it's made with Hise doesn't break OSC main rule:no sample synth allowed?
No. Hise has many synth modules to construct other functionalities, not limiting itslef to sampling. Sampleson itself said he doesn´'t use samples.

Return to “Instruments”