One Synth Challenge #144: Rand by Sampleson (schiing Wins! kylebenjamin grabs the single instance prize!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

reusenoise wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:24 pm
MalToné wrote: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:01 pm Yeah, some of the issues others have mentioned have shown up on Ableton, but it's not a deal breaker and CPU usage seems very low at 15 instances while doing some sound "design" :ud: .This one has more Challenge in it - I'm up for it. Seems that random button will never give me a decent kick or snare... :hihi:
I made a couple of kicks, not perfect but a decent starting point,late these night I will upload them
Kewl, I'll try them out!
"I can't listen to the Ninth anymore at all."

Really enjoyed myself this month. And I reckon it's about time for an accordion solo on OSC again!

It's early days, so I might add a few details later on - but it's pretty much there, I think.

https://soundcloud.com/terjefjelde/beyond-the-castle

DAW/Synth
PreSonus Studio One Professional 5.1
Rand: c. 50 instances

FX
Delay: Tal-Dub-3, DD Delay, GrooveDelay
Reverb: DD Reverb, TalReverb4, DragonflyHall, DragonflyRoom
Pan/stereo: DD Autopan, Binaural Pan, StereoTool
EQ: ProEQ, SonEQ
Saturation: IVGI
Dynamics: Mixtool, DC1A, Unlimited
All Ted Mountainé's Songs on Spotify | Soundcloud | Twitter | His Latest Videos
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

Newly enthused through OSC's hardware month I decided to have a look at Rand. I am not sure if it will lead me to an outcome but I at least seem to be lucky enough to having encountered zero bugs yet. I am on Win10/Reaper 6.22c/Samplerate 44.1 k at the moment. No noticable artefacts or panning problems.

So I loaded two dozen of tracks with Rand, pushed the button on each one once and didn't bother with any controls under its surface. Then I saved each patch under a talking name like Glas or Waybubbubbub an decided to go wherever that random combination of sounds will lead to.

Nice so far!

Stay healthy, guys!
Ruedi

RuediRena wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:29 am Newly enthused through OSC's hardware month I decided to have a look at Rand. I am not sure if it will lead me to an outcome but I at least seem to be lucky enough to having encountered zero bugs yet. I am on Win10/Reaper 6.22c/Samplerate 44.1 k at the moment. No noticable artefacts or panning problems.

So I loaded two dozen of tracks with Rand, pushed the button on each one once and didn't bother with any controls under its surface. Then I saved each patch under a talking name like Glas or Waybubbubbub an decided to go wherever that random combination of sounds will lead to.

Nice so far!

Stay healthy, guys!
Ruedi
This is the best way to work with it! :tu: I think editing the preset is a "developer mode" that they forgot to hide - just a misunderstanding! :lol:

IV! wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:55 am I think editing the preset is a "developer mode" that they forgot to hide - just a misunderstanding! :lol:
:dog: :hihi:

IV! wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:55 am This is the best way to work with it! :tu: I think editing the preset is a "developer mode" that they forgot to hide - just a misunderstanding! :lol:
:D

The random mode is brilliant for creating moods and colours that wouldn't necessarily have occurred, at least to me, otherwise - it's a great way to get started with a track. I'm too much of a control freak to leave everything to chance, though :lol:
The Byte Hop, the virtual home of Ted Mountainé – news as they might have happened.

I agree ... Push, then edit/fine tune is how I am going too. But, not a lot of pushing as I am going for a bass, piano,sax,drums fairly minimalist track this time ... will need to layer up each instrument to get a nice full sound, but sort of getting there ... percussion is going to be fairly minimal too, more a hi-hat/stick affair, rather than a drummer going all out with kicks/toms/crash! You just gotta control those drummers, they are not going to take over the world :D

dB

So basically done. I started with 12 random instances, tweaked these to varying degrees, - which I then had to re create in a new project due to unsolvable panning issue. I then added 2 instances to create the kick & snare. For the original tweaked instances I kept all the generator settings, LFO, FX on/off settings as found and only tweaked the parameters & balance within.
The original 12 instances very much determined the mood piece though I had an idea for simple chord progression in advance.

https://soundcloud.com/bubble07-1/theb0 ... sc144-rand

DAW - Reaper 6.2
Rand x19
ReaEq x14, ReaComp x3, ReaDelay x3, ReaVerbate x3,
Xfer OTTx2, one each of Klanghiem IVG, TDR Slick EQ, TDR Kotelnikov, Luftikus, Limiter #6, Span

Edit - Felt the mix was too brittle sounding so doubled up a few instances (adding 5 in total), and darkened the sound a little.
Last edited by The B00 on Wed Feb 10, 2021 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Unfortunately I can't hit the random button with some sort of automation. Only then I could imagine to try something out with this...

The B00 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:30 pm So basically done. I started with 12 random instances, tweaked these to varying degrees, - which I then had to re create in a new project due to unsolvable panning issue. I then added 2 instances to create the kick & snare. For the original tweaked instances I kept all the generator settings, LFO, FX on/off settings as found and only tweaked the parameters & balance within.
The original 12 instances very much determined the mood piece though I had an idea for simple chord progression in advance.

https://soundcloud.com/bubble07-1/osc-rand-23-master-1

DAW - Reaper 6.2
Rand x14
ReaEq x14, ReaComp x3, ReaDelay x3, ReaVerbate x3,
Xfer OTTx2, one each of Klanghiem IVG, TDR Slick EQ, TDR Kotelnikov, Luftikus, Limiter #6, Span
I like your songtitle. :)

schiing wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:48 am Really enjoyed myself this month. And I reckon it's about time for an accordion solo on OSC again!

It's early days, so I might add a few details later on - but it's pretty much there, I think.

https://soundcloud.com/terjefjelde/beyond-the-castle

DAW/Synth
PreSonus Studio One Professional 5.1
Rand: c. 50 instances

FX
Delay: Tal-Dub-3, DD Delay, GrooveDelay
Reverb: DD Reverb, TalReverb4, DragonflyHall, DragonflyRoom
Pan/stereo: DD Autopan, Binaural Pan, StereoTool
EQ: ProEQ, SonEQ
Saturation: IVGI
Dynamics: Mixtool, DC1A, Unlimited
Like it :tu:
Nice evolving piece of music.

Thanks, @Martkorg!

Finally had a play with it, in between voting for last month's OSC. I like the sound of this synth. So far i've had keys, leads, basses, pads, strings, putting a smile on my face, but so far it's given me hardly nothing for drums or percussion. I'll persevere with the button, else i'll have to try programming some. I'm kind of enjoying sitting hear without thinking and just keep pressing that button, although saving the presets is a bit laborious.

I'm leaning towards a Beatles-esque type track - here's a WIP of the intro'start stuff. Just got to get Ringo booted up :D

https://soundcloud.com/doctorbob/pb-wip-a

So i bounced my Rand song last night, for bedtime listening and to save CPU, and when i listened back i noticed there is a pop in the recording. I'm on Bitwig, and i've never had a pop in the recording whilst using Bitwig before and i've bounced a lot of times. I think it must be Rand. So i'm bouncing it again now, hopefully it won't have the pop this time.

I did get some crackling, but only in one patch, and i wondered whether the crackling is in the patch, that's how it seemed to me but maybe i'm wrong. The crackling was only present in the higher octaves and not present in the lower octaves. I've not decided yet whether this is a patch i want to use. I've made good progress into my song and i'm feeling good about what i have got this month so far. :)

Return to “Instruments”