Physical Modeling Synth

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all,
what are considered the best physical modeling synths with easy to use UI? To create bells, harps, flutes, strings etc.

I would love to know!!

Spicy Guitar is a good guitar one from all my searching ..and its free!

My new favourite is Plasmonic (but easy to use UI, maybe not so).
Next would be Sculpture for me but it is bound to Logic of course.
Then I would choose Prism (N.I.), really good and sounds very organic to me.
Kaivo is also a great tool.
For keys, Pinaoteq of course would be the best choice.
I like Chromaphone 2 (I see no reason to upgrade since there is almost nothing which feels like a major update).
For realistic solo instruments like brass, winds, strings, I think the Audio Modelling stuff is the best out there (but expensive).
One of the best I ever used is Substancia and it has some really special features but it is still standalone only as far as I know.
Then of course there are tons of Reaktor tools (also a lot good free ones) to find but mostly they lack a good GUI and/or dedicated controller set-up.
So there is a lot good stuff and each one has its pro and contra depending on what you are after.
Maybe Respiro for winds.
I really like organic tones but which must not emulate real instruments but rather hybrids of different timbres. So here Plasmonic is my new favourite and indeed at the moment my favourite synth from all I own (for people who know how much I love P900 which also can do some really good physical modelling like timbres, I even love Plasmonic more now).
Important for me too in a physical modelling tool is MPE and microtonal tuning support. Plasmonic has it both as well.
I really would love to see more of these instruments and really get bored with the usual wavetable, analog emulation thingie these days.
The world needs more physical modelling tools f.e. for world instruments (coming 2022 from Audio Modelling f.e.).
All these tools still cannot replace some good sample libraries for me but I hope one day they can and physical modelling get to the next level.

surreal wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:09 am I would love to know!!

The website seems to be dead/abandoned. :(
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Spitfire31 wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 2:25 pm
surreal wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:09 am I would love to know!!

The website seems to be dead/abandoned. :(
https://vst4free.com/plugin/1065/
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

The SWAM instruments are amazing.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

zerocrossing wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 4:09 pm The SWAM instruments are amazing.
Indeed, not cheap but I think the best in their class.
(and also the solo brass is now available for iOS, of course for less and you can buy single instruments if you want, and all others will follow in the future).

Reason Studios Friktion is interesting and I have the Expressive É Arché collection which I like and they recently published Noisy...

also imho quite nice:
physical audio derailer

https://physicalaudio.co.uk/PA3

You need to be more explicit about what you mean by "physical modelling". Virtual instruments like Pianoteq or the SWAM instruments do a whole lot under the covers over which you have no control (but they sound fabulous). Chromaphone is a true synth that does physical modeling with which you (the user) can create synthetic sounds that mimic real-life instruments or fantastical imaginary instruments. And there are a number of virtual instruments that lie somewhere between those two extremes. So, the answer to your question depends on your meaning of physical modeling.

Hive is now excellent at modeling string sounds (and percussion) with the arrival of v2.1. I wouldn't call it a physical modeling synth, but it is quite good nonetheless. Here are a couple quick plucked string examples I posted. I haven't tried flutes yet.

https://dandelionaudio.com/sound/hive21-5.mp3
https://dandelionaudio.com/sound/hive21-6.mp3
https://dandelionaudio.com/sound/hive21-9.mp3

Plasmonic
String Studio
Chromaphone
Kaivo

are some others...

oh! those are nice! :-)

dmbaer wrote: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:00 pm You need to be more explicit about what you mean by "physical modelling". Virtual instruments like Pianoteq or the SWAM instruments do a whole lot under the covers over which you have no control (but they sound fabulous). Chromaphone is a true synth that does physical modeling with which you (the user) can create synthetic sounds that mimic real-life instruments or fantastical imaginary instruments. And there are a number of virtual instruments that lie somewhere between those two extremes. So, the answer to your question depends on your meaning of physical modeling.
I would like to create organic sounds which don't have to mimic real instruments but should resemble them. Mostly plucking instruments, strings or bells.

Edit: And i am not looking for a sample based solution

Try MSoundfactory. The resonator and modal filter trr can do bells, strings and various percussive sounds.

pawder wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:04 pm I would like to create organic sounds which don't have to mimic real instruments but should resemble them. Mostly plucking instruments, strings or bells.

Edit: And i am not looking for a sample based solution
This this is straight up the alley of Plasmonic. What you’re describing is its main use case.

Reason’s Friktion is also very organic and convincing sounding, but more bow and breath focused.

Alternatively, AAS String Studio (for strings & plucking) and Chromaphone are also worth taking a listen to.

Return to “Instruments”