Eplex7 DSP releases Klerhaim N1 analog VST plugin synthesizer with virtual circuit emulation technology

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRist
434 posts since 20 Aug, 2010

Post Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:17 am

focusrite wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:24 pm
I wanted to like it but the demo has a hard clipper on the output so the dynamics are as flat as a pancake. Can you confirm?

Did you answer?

KVRian
1141 posts since 19 Sep, 2017 from Future

Post Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:22 am

Best debate about psy trance bass ever :)
What about festival leads - with or without filtering?
Cheers :)

KVRist

Topic Starter

191 posts since 10 Nov, 2014

Post Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:32 am

focusrite wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:17 am
focusrite wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:24 pm
I wanted to like it but the demo has a hard clipper on the output so the dynamics are as flat as a pancake. Can you confirm?

Did you answer?
We are going to answer all posts one by one from start next working week ok? We want to browse discussion from first page and answer every technical question one by one
Somehow we slipped into weird technical (and other) discussions with some guys which we wanted to explain and finish selected themes because few misunderstandings etc.

Regarding your question, synthesizer is saturating at various internal stages of internal modules (like analog PCBs, in old synths there are individual PCBs/circuits one for osc, next for filter etc.)
every of these circuits works independently and usually have inputs and outputs, when you push output or their voltage controlled amplifier too much/too hot it becomes to saturating as explained in video - saturation is not hard clipping but it is rounding spikes of signal, not cutting but saturating/rounding, this results in nice warm color, generates higher harmonics at every stage, but also in reducing dynamics of course. If you push too much every module like oscillator volume VCA, filter VCA, add some distortion dynamic range is reduced. There is protecting hard limiter at the end only in Standalone exe demo. Are you trying VST or EXE? You can try lower osc1 and 2 volume knob, sat knob and output level for less saturation and higher dynamic range.

To all, we will answer all technical questions one by one, will read al forum from page nr1 again and answer everything that we forget next working week, Thanks for questions, support and have a nice weekend ♥☮︎
www.eplex7.com - innovative VST / AU plug-ins, effects, synthesizers, samples, free tutorials

AnX
KVRAF
9224 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:41 am

while I'm sure it's possible the dev has done an excellent job modelling analogue behaviour for this synth, im struggling to see what it can offer me that I don't already have

its just way too simple

the joy of software is, it can emulate hardware, but without the limitations....

KVRist
373 posts since 28 Jul, 2006

Post Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:41 pm

I like that this thread turned from arguing about a person's specific claims about best practices when making psytrance bass, into "psytrance producers suck, drum and bass is the best".

Lololol

KVRist
301 posts since 27 Aug, 2020

Post Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:27 am

I've come here after reading that ridiculous musicradar article. Woah, you guys make Behringer look like a bunch of saints, pretty entertaining to watch though, ngl. Almost makes me want to ditch all my IRL analog gear and make music exclusively with FM softsynths. :hihi:

That's some terrible marketing. :dog:

KVRian
1326 posts since 17 Nov, 2007 from Europe

Post Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:41 am

Eplex i use ssd disc. And fl studio. I have to ask. Eplex why you never make a little bigger synth? Must be mutch more popular then a synth with few knobs. Would be cool to see you make a bigger synth. :)

Suspended
4029 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:28 pm

I find it funny that the eq mid/high bands are boosted in the you tube video :)
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

KVRist
52 posts since 7 Oct, 2011

Post Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:43 pm

Well marketing or not, it sounds quite good. Sure the graphical interface isn't fully polished- it doesn't look bad but as stated it looks a bit odd when the knobs are turned. But what annoys me the most is that it opens a link to the eplex site everytime you click outside menus.

With that said I don't think it's too limited for the introductory price at least. I'm not sure to what extent I will use this plugin but it's not bad at all in it's current state.

And one thing I noticed about eplex7 is that their customer service is great.

KVRist
373 posts since 28 Jul, 2006

Post Sun Feb 14, 2021 1:36 pm

This thread has brought me an immense amount of joy and I bought the synth without even demoing. Very excited for further developments from this thread. More psytrance please!

KVRAF
6054 posts since 14 Nov, 2006 from Ankara, Turkey

Post Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:03 am

Eplex7 DSP wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:21 am

But difference is like 1-3% nothing special or significant, this suggestion is just for audiophiles which want to get maximum out of this
1-3% ? Just for audiophiles? :dog: Looks like we've been doing it all wrong.

Try an analog modelled 20k down to 1k filter sweep with high/self resonance, you'll instantly hear the "aliasing" noise during the filter sweep. Every person can hear that, not only audiophiles.
Works at KV331 Audio
SynthMaster voted #1 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll
SynthMaster One voted #4 in MusicRadar's "Best Synth of 2019" poll

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:24 am

kv331 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:03 am
Eplex7 DSP wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 12:21 am

But difference is like 1-3% nothing special or significant, this suggestion is just for audiophiles which want to get maximum out of this
1-3% ? Just for audiophiles? :dog: Looks like we've been doing it all wrong.

Try an analog modelled 20k down to 1k filter sweep with high/self resonance, you'll instantly hear the "aliasing" noise during the filter sweep. Every person can hear that, not only audiophiles.
Maybe maybe we didn't get it right - everybody understood it different, this 1-3% wasn't any exact measured technical or scientific number, just our subjective estimation that difference in "analog feeling" can be 1-3% lower when going to high samplerates.

But anyway many sound/mixing/analog synth veterans told us they dont feel absolutely any difference (or that sound is worst) when switching to higher samplerates, this guy tried 96kHz and also 16x upsampling with DDMF metaplugin plug-in (there is also 2-4x upsampling inside synth)

and he told he dont hear difference in sound (or loss of analogness/quality) when switching from 44,1 to 96kHz.

https://youtu.be/13YUN2XUJhA
www.eplex7.com - innovative VST / AU plug-ins, effects, synthesizers, samples, free tutorials

KVRian
1301 posts since 10 Oct, 2018

Post Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:35 am

Word salad.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:38 am

Zipede wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:03 pm
Also purchased, it sounds very much like an ancient mono analogue thing, I think I will be using this a lot. Looking forward to the download link.
Thank you very much for support. Hope that you enjoy it and will use it in your music production for long time :-)

Yes "ancient mono thing :) " was our development goal, we tried to recreate that old vintage sound of old mono synths with old hand soldered components (many new analog synthesizers are computer chip controlled - because of better stability and better cost effectivnes (we dont mean virtual analogs with those motorola or sharc chips) but that many parameters and analog circuits like VCO, VCF etc. are receiving modulation/parameter signal from stable chip/circuit) - so while it uses electronic components (but often integrated circuits) sound is different than old vintage synths from 60s, 70s which were completely made by hand from low-level components like capacitors, resistors, transistors. Also new analog synths are ensembled by automatized robots on pre-made pcbs, while 60s synths were often made on different pcbs hand made with soldering iron, which also affect sound a little bit. We love both old vintage and new raw-stable sounding analog hw synths :)

PS TO ALL: Thank you for all your messages and feedback. We are going to answer 1-2 messages per day because we must answer questions also at other forums, social networks etc. and firstly e-mails to our customers which is priority fo us. Thank you for patience and have a nice sunny day :)

addled muppet weed
77682 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:28 am

AnX wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 10:41 am
while I'm sure it's possible the dev has done an excellent job modelling analogue behaviour for this synth, im struggling to see what it can offer me that I don't already have

its just way too simple

the joy of software is, it can emulate hardware, but without the limitations....
psybass like you never had it before!
the genre was nothing before this synth!!
im not even being paid to say this!
im just mental! :hyper:

psybass!!!

Return to “Instruments”