Anyone use Arranger keyboards as “plug-out” module

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anyone use Arranger keyboards as “plug-out” module for sounds. The new arrangers like

Yamaha Genos and Ketron have really good sounds, especially drums. Better then like 70% of sample libraries out there and better then 100%of rompler plugins IMO
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

Not better than my kontakt libraries, and if we are talking “rompler”, not better than omnisphere+Keyscape+trillian. IMO.

FWIW, I just made the transition from a 100% OTB setup in December.

dstep404 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:04 pm Not better than my kontakt libraries, and if we are talking “rompler”, not better than omnisphere+Keyscape+trillian. IMO.

FWIW, I just made the transition from a 100% OTB setup in December.
Omnisphere is more of a synth than a rompler.

What kind of Kontakt libraries do you use ?
Macbook M1 Max 32GB Ram Cubase 12

Personally, I don't have Kontakt installed as I use MODX presets when I need Guitars, Pianos, … etc. Yes, it has an FM synth but it is also a rompler.

I know there are many high quality Kontakt libraries, but the Yamaha presets are good enough for me without installing anything or being worried about CPU and memory. But I'm the kind of guy who doesn't care if it is analog synth or an emulation. If the overall feel can be achieved, then I don't mind a lower quality of any kind of instruments (to an extent of course).

I am presently looking at the Korg PA700 to complement my daw. I don't use large sample libraries (some small sample based plugins though) and mostly vst's.

I previously had a Casio CT-x5000 and Yamaha e-453 and it was good to get some groove started. The sounds were ok to excellent. It can be replicated with samples but its never as intuitive.

I think the PA700 excels with many sounds that are not so easy to obtain on a PC unless you invest. Again, the groove factor is pretty big with an arranger.
Last edited by yul on Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

If it must be Korg, I would buy KROME EX 61. It is cheaper here in NZ and has more specs. No synth I think. Don't know, I still think MODX is the best value for money but patterns and sequencer are not organised like the presets.

Using especially "modern" Arranger keyboards and also workstations is waste of time, because they meanwhile also triying to clone "VST sounds". And that "better than 70% of sample libraries and 100% of rompler plugins" argument is the biggest nonsense of the month! :D

They are trying to clone what?!
What does "VST sounds" mean?!

Some people if they don't have something to say, they fart! :nutter:

clipnotic wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:39 am Using especially "modern" Arranger keyboards and also workstations is waste of time, because they meanwhile also triying to clone "VST sounds". And that "better than 70% of sample libraries and 100% of rompler plugins" argument is the biggest nonsense of the month! :D
A full blown daw with large sample based plugins can give you equal or better standard sounds but it' not always the case. Arranger is faster imo.

Synth sounds are always better with daw but the Krome EX may be hard to replicate in daw for example.

The fun factor is very big with arranger imo. Sometimes a daw is a bit boring in that sense.

TS-12 wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:39 pm Anyone use Arranger keyboards as “plug-out” module for sounds. The new arrangers like

Yamaha Genos and Ketron have really good sounds, especially drums. Better then like 70% of sample libraries out there and better then 100%of rompler plugins IMO
The Yamaha Genos costs $5,999.99 at Sweetwater. Why would you spend that sort of money to get some decent rompler like sounds which are available for much less and of equal quality in Kontakt or Sampletank ?

A keyboard of that type is for use by professional gigging musicians who go solo without a backing band, and for that purpose they are great.

The Ketron module sounds are OK but no better than average general midi type sounds that any VST rompler can do.

And if you have an arranger why would you use it as a "plug out module" ? Just play it live into your DAW as audio.

I use my PSR E463 because it has a low latency steinberg audio interface + driver. Plus built in feedback loop so you can record on top of what is already recorded if you want something fast.

Add a laptop, and all you need is a usb cable for a full setup.

Don't carry around another box, amps, speakers. Love that. The flagships don't have these steinberg audio interfaces in them.

Drum sounds are usable. So are some flutes and sax, some synth strings and mallets, nice harmonica too. But you can blend those with software.
Also, I love how the pitch bend is mapped on these keyboards... It's so smooth (it's not linear). It's actually designed that you can add vibrato with playing that MW, as well as bends.
Last edited by jackoo on Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dellboy wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:22 pm A keyboard of that type is for use by professional gigging musicians who go solo without a backing band, and for that purpose they are great.

And if you have an arranger why would you use it as a "plug out module" ? Just play it live into your DAW as audio.
Even if you are not using it live, you can create compositions very fast using an arranger. You will need to finish it with your DAW probably. I think if you don't overpay for the arranger (PA700, CT-X5000, E-463 etc) it can be worth it.

yul wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 2:29 pm
Even if you are not using it live, you can create compositions very fast using an arranger. You will need to finish it with your DAW probably. I think if you don't overpay for the arranger (PA700, CT-X5000, E-463 etc) it can be worth it.
Agreed, you could knock out an arrangement quickly, but it would sound like an arranger keyboard was used to knock out a composition quickly.

By all means use a Korg Pa4x or something to make a whole composition independent from the computer. This can be a great way to way to get away from the distraction of a computer. But if you have a computer and a DAW why would you not use it to make a composition ?

If someone has paid out thousands to own a professional arranger it presupposes that they are an excellent musician and are able to play live straight into a DAW.

I should point out that I own two older professional arranger keyboards so I understand the fun aspect of using them, and I often play their sounds straight to audio into my DAW, but not using the inbuilt styles.

dellboy wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:08 pm If someone has paid out thousands to own a professional arranger it presupposes that they are an excellent musician and are able to play live straight into a DAW.
I think you are right but sometimes I have no desire to be with the computer :-(

I would also have to upgrade to have all the nice acoustic sounds. I cannot find anything as complete for general sounds. I tried Roland Zenology Pro (xv-5080) but would really need need the many SRX instead to get close + change my SSD.

The very nice drums are a good reason too. I always struggle with drums on my PC where as on an arranger it easy to create styles I find.

The PA700 has a vocal section which sounds good on paper but I am looking at demos right now.

Yeah I prefer ROMpler stuff and synth presets that aren’t EDM related or trap related because EDM and trap sounds are boring. Give me objectively perfect emulations of sounds to some 808 or 909 nonsense.
I have a CT-X3000
Many paid and free VSTs as well as Kontakt libraries. As well as HW synths/drum machine and acoustic instruments.

Return to “Instruments”