Waldorf PPG Wave 3 VST

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I wonder when Plugin-Alliance plans to make use of their partnership or whatever it is with Palm.

Etienne1973 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:11 pm
ghostwhistler wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:35 pmI'm not sure I understand the diferences between the LE version and the 'full' version. What do you mean by a limtied attack? Does that mean you can only set the attack speed of a sound to a certain degree? that seems a bit odd so that can' tbe right.

There are 3 Waldorf PPG Wave product versions you can choose from:

- Waldorf PPG Wave 3.V

- Waldorf PPG Wave 2.V Full (part of Edition 2 bundle)

- Waldorf PPG Wave 2.V LE (part of Edition 2 LE bundle)

Waldorf Edition 2 LE for €19.90 consists of 3 individual plugins:

- Waldorf Attack LE (Drum Synth)

- Waldorf 2-Pole (Filter Effect)

- Waldorf PPG Wave 2.V LE

Waldorf PPG Wave 2.V LE has the following limitations compared to the Waldorf PPG Wave 2.V Full:

- 1 MIDI channel (Full: 8 )
- 8 Voice polyphony (Full: 64)
- 1 Stereo Output (Full: 2)
- No possible upgrade to PPG Wave 3.V in Waldorf webshop (Full: Upgrade possible)

Source: https://waldorfmusic.com/en/waldorf-edi ... -editionle
Thanks for clarifying. I'm not sure if I need more than 1 MIDI channel. Is that something I ought be concerned about? I just assign a vst to the track in my DAW and go.

8 note polyphony seems fine, how many didi the original instrument have? I don't think I have anything I use at more than that anyway. Mainly because it's heavy on the CPU. Besides I find unison lines with loads of voices get a bit out of hand.

Again, how many stereo outputs does one need?

I've seen the LE version for a few bucks on knobcloud (that name will never stop making me snigger).

The freebie emulation has decent sounds but the interface isn't intuitive. There's no tutorial I can find.

I have the PPG demo, the interface isn't much better. It's ridiclously small.
ecasasmusic2 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 7:24 pm The main limitation of Waldorf PPG 3 is the small dated GUI. The preset browser is from the stone age and everything is small and not very atractive for tweaking. It's a plugin from ten years ago, with no significant updates. I have it, and the sounds are OK but nothing special IMHO, compared with the sounds you can get with any wavetable synth from today. I understand the nostalgic factor for people who wants that specific sound, but I never would pay the full price for this.
I have Hive which does wavetables. I've never really made use of them before. Know nothing about them really. I want the PPG because I liked the sounds it got when used by Tangerine Dream. If this LE version has those presets (if any are) then great. If there's something that can do those sounds better then I'd like to know.

ghostwhistler wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:37 pm 8 note polyphony seems fine, how many didi the original instrument have?
8. :)

The PPG Wave LE is fine IMO (I own the Waldorf Edition LE). Attack LE is a bit bummer though, because it lacks the multi outs, which I find very important on a drum synth. Anyway, I won't complain as it got the Waldorf Edition LE for free in an offer on some site, can't remember which one.

I got it for free too. It was on Audio Plugin Deals.
I got both the Ppg v3 and Largo also there. I can
recommend both, they have some quirks but both have it's own character.

So as I have the Ppg v3 I can't justify full price for the just getting the full Attack, especially considering how difficult is to set the pitch (Waldorf quirks), but I would definitely get it at the right price (less than Drumatic 4).

Herman seib's ppg is the best emu around and sounds great
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

dstep404 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 8:18 pm I wonder when Plugin-Alliance plans to make use of their partnership or whatever it is with Palm.
I can’t wait to get infinite and phonem for $19 each in a couple years.

gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:11 pm Herman seib's ppg is the best emu around and sounds great
Do you know any good tutorials for it?

Does it have all the classic wavetables?

I came last in the latest OSC which was "any actual hardware or any emulation" competition, using Waldorf PPG 3. It was probably me, I am a novice at synthesis, but the thought did cross my mind "i wonder if it was my choice of synth".

PPG 2 V is one of my favorites. The preset system sucks. but I love the sound and gui.......and the limitations
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

If it has only one midi channel, does that mean i can onlyuse one instance of it simultaneously?

ghostwhistler wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:02 am If it has only one midi channel, does that mean i can onlyuse one instance of it simultaneously?
No you can open as much instances as you wish.

polac wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:17 am
ghostwhistler wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:02 am If it has only one midi channel, does that mean i can onlyuse one instance of it simultaneously?
No you can open as much instances as you wish.
Ok, so why would limited channels be an issue (I'm curious now)

TBH it seems like the LE version is a pretty good deal given the cost. A few less voices of polyphony and assuming everything else is the same (same presets, number of wavetables, transients, etc, and that's good).

ghostwhistler wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:13 pm
gentleclockdivider wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:11 pm Herman seib's ppg is the best emu around and sounds great
Do you know any good tutorials for it?

Does it have all the classic wavetables?
My understading is that the WaveSim is an exact copy of the Wave 2s OS. So it's less straightforward than we expect in VSTs.

But I suspect if you got a PPG Wave 2 manual (ie the hardware) that would probably give you everything...
Pastoral, Kosmiche, Ambient Music https://markgriffiths.bandcamp.com/
Experimental Music https://markdaltongriffiths.bandcamp.com/

Curious to know what makes it better than the PPG v3 by Waldorf and sad for not being able to demo it. It sucks sometimes being on Mac instead of Windows (Transistowz also comes to mind). If Numerology does not get developed and updated further, I think I'll happily go back to PC.

they were all $29 some days ago... I guess that eventually we will see them for this price again.

https://www.synthanatomy.com/2021/02/wa ... s-day.html

Return to “Instruments”