One Synth Challenge #146: Sinmad by NUSofting (New prize added!)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
DASH Guy
7616 posts since 20 Sep, 2001

Post Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:21 pm

Updated info:
###
On windows 7 64-bit you need this update:
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=30679
Select Language and click Download.
###
On Windows 10 20H2 the synth must be installed in:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2
http://nusofting.com
NUSofting : Peti Modelonia Sinnah

DASH Guy
7616 posts since 20 Sep, 2001

Post Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:26 pm

bh9090 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:00 am
I'm perplexed. DLL in the correct spot. DAWS set up to that location. Rescanned directories (many times). Same across all DAWS. Obviously something unique to my system, but I'm out of ideas.
So I installed Windows 10 20H2 and at first Cubase refused to load Sinmad DLL,
but after installing (moving the "Sinmad" folder) in one of its default path
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2
Sinmad loaded perfectly. I hope it will work the same for all you Windows 10 20H2 users.
http://nusofting.com
NUSofting : Peti Modelonia Sinnah

KVRist
182 posts since 1 Oct, 2015

Post Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:30 pm

Sinmad is working just fine in my old laptop, Windows 10 - 20H2, installed in:

C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins

:wink:

Edit: DAW: Cakewalk by BandLab.

DASH Guy
7616 posts since 20 Sep, 2001

Post Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:43 pm

L-EctroBit wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:30 pm
Sinmad is working just fine in my old laptop, Windows 10 - 20H2, installed in:

C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins

:wink:

Edit: DAW: Cakewalk by BandLab.
Yes, probably it's just enough to stay inside C:\Program Files\ where the DLL are allowed by 20H2 (my guess so far)
http://nusofting.com
NUSofting : Peti Modelonia Sinnah

User avatar
KVRian
553 posts since 20 Oct, 2018

Post Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:56 pm

It installed/scanned fine in windows 8.1 64-bit with Cakewalk and Reaper.
I avoid installing exe's on my win 7 because of me not knowing what's being installed and where. I want it as clean as possible.
Maybe someone else can test and confirm if the runtime files linked can fix win 7 problem.

User avatar
KVRAF
2147 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:35 pm

Wow! First impressions: I love this synth

User avatar
KVRist
197 posts since 29 Nov, 2019

Post Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:19 pm

Well, trying to actually record something I into a problem: on pressing stop REAPER crashes every time. 'run as separate process' helps. Really warmed up to the sound of this synth, though . Nice work, liqih ! Thanks for generously giving away licenses too, much appreciated ! I'll be sure to submit a track.

User avatar
KVRist
60 posts since 27 Oct, 2020

Post Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:50 am

Had a quick play with sinmad yesterday, interesting sounds indeed. Are the wave 1 FM settings on the scope editable? I couldn't find a way to edit them but that would be cool if you could.

I too had the audio stop working in Ableton 11 on windows 10. Deleting the plugin and reloading a new one fixed the issue turning the vst on and off didn't.

Sometimes the filter cutoff knob produced clicking artifacts other times it was fine might be a single wave form that produced that I'll see if I can reproduce it.

Also some of the presets had the main (gain) turned right down so produced no sound but that wasn't the same issue with the audio stopping.

User avatar
KVRer
25 posts since 29 Aug, 2020

Post Sat Apr 03, 2021 1:31 am

If anyone else is mad enough to try this on linux :x I've got it running with wine emulation using linvst, also works with carla. wine won't find the custom font hidden in the vst's folder so you'd have to move it to .local/share/fonts or /usr/local/share/fonts
Synth makes a great impression so far, good luck everybody and have fun! :tu:

User avatar
KVRist
348 posts since 7 Dec, 2006 from Richmond, VA, USA

Post Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:25 am

liqih wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:26 pm
bh9090 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:00 am
I'm perplexed. DLL in the correct spot. DAWS set up to that location. Rescanned directories (many times). Same across all DAWS. Obviously something unique to my system, but I'm out of ideas.
So I installed Windows 10 20H2 and at first Cubase refused to load Sinmad DLL,
but after installing (moving the "Sinmad" folder) in one of its default path
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2
Sinmad loaded perfectly. I hope it will work the same for all you Windows 10 20H2 users.
I tried the folders above and same result. Not found or "Not a valid plugin". Here are some details:
* Windows 10 20H2 v19042.906
* Tried both initial DLL and the new nag-free one. Downloaded multiple times.
* DAWS: Live 11.0.2, Cubase Pro 11.0.10, Reaper 6.26
* No apparent problems with any other plugins on the system. U-he, NI, TAL, freeware stuff, etc.

I may swap out my PC for old mac, it seems okay on MacOS. Gotta keep the streak alive!

User avatar
KVRian
1238 posts since 22 Sep, 2016

Post Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:29 am

Kind of weird this synth is ... From time to time the engine thinks it should degenerte a sound into nirwana and after a while it resets and the sound is "as intended" again. Happend on two sounds ... the others where just fine ... hm ... any way it produces some nice sounds. In contrast to some other reports, I've had no problem with it in latest Windows 10. I copied the whole folder into C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2 and Bitwig did the rest.

Now I have here the Lucy (emvoice), Cello Chamber Orchestra and Sinmad Electro Combo Mix of "Fly with me" ... Enjoy: https://soundcloud.com/p-e-t-e-r-h/fly- ... mKmYX1MBMl

About 50% of sound from scratch. Used some presets because I grow lazy of fiddling for hours to get some sounds... if something suitable is already there. For a Submission I will do a Lucy-less version ... later.

BTW: If you like EMVoice and Lucy ... Check out my release here (no, this is not Sinmad): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_q9QwpYFJWU

User avatar
KVRAF
1961 posts since 29 Sep, 2011

Post Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:43 am

Heya liqih, I've also had this happen, in the latest Bitwig:
MilksterX wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:50 am
I too had the audio stop working
... however I tracked down a bit more information on an instance that suddenly went silent: I was using MONO mode, when I switched to POLY mode, the first voice was silent (e.g. when I pressed a single key) but the SECOND and third and other voices were working properly! (e.g. pressing 2 notes simultaneously or when a second voice is active due to release time). Changing presets back/forth still resulted in the first voice being silent but the others working properly. I tried adjusting every parameter to see if something might help reset a value somewhere, but it did not. Also, in my case, the synth stopped making sound while I was adjusting the wave 1 FM ratio in the GUI and playing notes. I'm pretty sure the first time it happened I was mucking about with the GUI and also playing notes on an external keyboard in a similar way. Knowing just a bit about plugin development, I suspect one of 2 things is happening: a voice index is going negative so the "first" voice is unable to actually map to a voice location -or- some bad value is being copied to the active voice that the synth is unable to recover from (or, of course, I could be all wet :ud:). Anyway, cheers, hope this helps in some way!

DASH Guy
7616 posts since 20 Sep, 2001

Post Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:28 am

Many thanks for the tests, I will search for the bug.
z.prime wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:43 am
Heya liqih, I've also had this happen, in the latest Bitwig:
MilksterX wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:50 am
I too had the audio stop working
... however I tracked down a bit more information on an instance that suddenly went silent: I was using MONO mode, when I switched to POLY mode, the first voice was silent (e.g. when I pressed a single key) but the SECOND and third and other voices were working properly! (e.g. pressing 2 notes simultaneously or when a second voice is active due to release time). Changing presets back/forth still resulted in the first voice being silent but the others working properly. I tried adjusting every parameter to see if something might help reset a value somewhere, but it did not. Also, in my case, the synth stopped making sound while I was adjusting the wave 1 FM ratio in the GUI and playing notes. I'm pretty sure the first time it happened I was mucking about with the GUI and also playing notes on an external keyboard in a similar way. Knowing just a bit about plugin development, I suspect one of 2 things is happening: a voice index is going negative so the "first" voice is unable to actually map to a voice location -or- some bad value is being copied to the active voice that the synth is unable to recover from (or, of course, I could be all wet :ud:). Anyway, cheers, hope this helps in some way!
http://nusofting.com
NUSofting : Peti Modelonia Sinnah

DASH Guy
7616 posts since 20 Sep, 2001

Post Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:31 am

For all Mac users on Catalina and later:
the file Sinmad_OSC.zip now includes a macOS installer, signed and notarized.
Please ask Richard for the new link on just replace the file name in the old URL, <wink>
http://nusofting.com
NUSofting : Peti Modelonia Sinnah

KVRist
137 posts since 30 Jul, 2007

Post Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:38 am

... VST-Version is not been recognized in StudioOne5 and not in PlougeBidule (latest Version). AU-Version works fine in Logic X and StudioOne5 ...

Good luck to all and quite and healthy easterdays!

Return to “Instruments”