Native Instruments - Native Access not working (fresh install)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
KVRist

Topic Starter

90 posts since 11 Apr, 2019 from UK

Post Sat Apr 03, 2021 11:51 am

Any ideas on how to get native access to detect everything that was installed after changing the paths back to the drive it was previously installed on?

156 not installed, they are all there in the folder... Any auto detect utilities out there?
BitWig & FLStudio
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

User avatar
KVRist

Topic Starter

90 posts since 11 Apr, 2019 from UK

Post Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:07 pm

Never mind...
Looks like I needed to export windows registry sections and re-import them to be able to do that...

Let the 3 day download begin...
BitWig & FLStudio
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

User avatar
KVRist

Topic Starter

90 posts since 11 Apr, 2019 from UK

Post Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:26 pm

Imagine if the devs built Native Access and all it's libraries to work like Steam...
BitWig & FLStudio
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

KVRAF
1932 posts since 3 Dec, 2006

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:08 am

MegaPixel wrote:
Sat Apr 03, 2021 12:07 pm
Never mind...
Looks like I needed to export windows registry sections and re-import them to be able to do that...

Let the 3 day download begin...
How did you get the registry export procedure sorted?

User avatar
KVRist

Topic Starter

90 posts since 11 Apr, 2019 from UK

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:34 am

surreal wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:08 am
How did you get the registry export procedure sorted?
I didn't I lost my OS drive so that windows registry is gone...

I've made a note in my software/ni folder to export those blocks for insertion into a new windows registry if this ever happens again (which it will). So I've just got to wait 3 or 4 days for native access to finish downloading again.

I'm getting a few gzip decompression errors on some of them...

There are so many problems with NI software...

Here are the 3 registry blocks you need to export and keep safe somewhere for the day you attempt to recover your ni install without re-downloading them all again:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Native Instruments
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Native Instruments
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Wow6432Node\Native Instruments

I have a backup HD which I plug into a hotswap bay, it stores all my software installers, I've added:

NativeInstruments [dir]
- native access installer exe
- WinRegistryEntries [dir] soon to contain 3 reg files

Just waiting for downloads to finish again, shame there's no option to keep the downloaded installers, I would back them up also.
BitWig & FLStudio
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

KVRAF
1932 posts since 3 Dec, 2006

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:55 am

Thank you very much for the info!

User avatar
KVRist

Topic Starter

90 posts since 11 Apr, 2019 from UK

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:48 am

surreal wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:55 am
Thank you very much for the info!
NOTE: Some of them are VSTs so they have to be installed again. Stuff like Massive, MassiveX, Absynth, FM8 etc.

There's a ni-uninstaller tool which doesn't really un-install things but does remove the entries from the windows registry.

So when I run into issues with any native instruments library/package I run that tool, un-install it from the windows registry, run native access again which should detect that it's not installed and give you the option to download and re-install again.
BitWig & FLStudio
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

User avatar
KVRAF
21411 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:38 am

MegaPixel wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:34 am
Just waiting for downloads to finish again, shame there's no option to keep the downloaded installers, I would back them up also.
There's a workaround you could use, though:

1. Start download then pause immediately
2. Go to C: and enable showing hidden files, you will see a NI temporary folder there
3. Inside that temporary folder there's a .metalink file which contains the URL to the ISO

KVRAF
1932 posts since 3 Dec, 2006

Post Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:00 am

EvilDragon wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:38 am
MegaPixel wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:34 am
Just waiting for downloads to finish again, shame there's no option to keep the downloaded installers, I would back them up also.
There's a workaround you could use, though:

1. Start download then pause immediately
2. Go to C: and enable showing hidden files, you will see a NI temporary folder there
3. Inside that temporary folder there's a .metalink file which contains the URL to the ISO
Thank you Mario!

User avatar
KVRist

Topic Starter

90 posts since 11 Apr, 2019 from UK

Post Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:27 am

EvilDragon wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:38 am
MegaPixel wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:34 am
Just waiting for downloads to finish again, shame there's no option to keep the downloaded installers, I would back them up also.
There's a workaround you could use, though:

1. Start download then pause immediately
2. Go to C: and enable showing hidden files, you will see a NI temporary folder there
3. Inside that temporary folder there's a .metalink file which contains the URL to the ISO
Nice one!

I've noticed the installers don't obey the folder locations that are setup in native access though... Potentially more issues? But will def be doing some ISO downloads and backing them up. Going to need another backup HD lol
BitWig & FLStudio
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

User avatar
KVRist

Topic Starter

90 posts since 11 Apr, 2019 from UK

Post Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:30 am

It's a shame they don't give us a full iso download list for making a full local backup.
BitWig & FLStudio
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

KVRAF
1508 posts since 28 Mar, 2007

Post Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:48 am

I had the same problem yesterday, the log in button would not respond after a recent PC rebuild.

I tried all sorts of stuff and nothing worked. Turned off the computer last night and went to bed.

Turned it on again this morning and was expecting all sorts of problems that would need resolving. But clicked the login button for one last desperate try, and, hey presto - it worked ! Go figure.

User avatar
KVRist

Topic Starter

90 posts since 11 Apr, 2019 from UK

Post Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:12 am

dellboy wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:48 am
I had the same problem yesterday, the log in button would not respond after a recent PC rebuild.

I tried all sorts of stuff and nothing worked. Turned off the computer last night and went to bed.

Turned it on again this morning and was expecting all sorts of problems that would need resolving. But clicked the login button for one last desperate try, and, hey presto - it worked ! Go figure.
Native Access
A program that is in a release version but is secretly an alpha build which has never been finished...

Book: Computers for dummies
Chapter 1: Learning your OS, software installation, the windows registry, tricks & hacks
Step 1. Install Native Access
And down the rabbit hole we go...


YOU SHOULD HAVE TAKEN THE BLUE PILL NEO!
Image
BitWig & FLStudio
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

User avatar
KVRAF
21411 posts since 7 Jan, 2009 from Croatia

Post Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:03 pm

MegaPixel wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:27 am
I've noticed the installers don't obey the folder locations that are setup in native access though... Potentially more issues? But will def be doing some ISO downloads and backing them up. Going to need another backup HD lol
Hmmmm no issues here regarding that. Which specific paths?

KVRist
188 posts since 3 Apr, 2018

Post Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:00 pm

EvilDragon wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 3:03 pm
MegaPixel wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 6:27 am
I've noticed the installers don't obey the folder locations that are setup in native access though... Potentially more issues? But will def be doing some ISO downloads and backing them up. Going to need another backup HD lol
Hmmmm no issues here regarding that. Which specific paths?
Looks like lots of issues on Win based OS.
No such problems on MacOS. Not sure if this is due to NI Access or something to do with Win Os...

Return to “Instruments”