Massive vs synth 1 vs Ik Multimedia Syntronik

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRer
4 posts since 30 Mar, 2021

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:44 am

Which would you choose and why?

I've used synth1 for a little now and it is versatile. I'm still trying to learn how to calibrate synths so it's been a little overwhelming. I recently downloaded the free version of Syntronik and love the way the emulations sound, especially the prophet 5. Everyone raves about Massive so if the time comes and it's really worth it I'd just go ahead and buy native instruments Komplete 13.

I'm getting into writing synthwave and looking for sounds similar to the 80's synths and the one's used on Tron Legacy and stranger things. Taking that into consideration, out of the 3 is there one that you would recommend? Also if there are any others, payed or free, please let me know.
Last edited by jonathan0226 on Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

KVRAF
15087 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:51 am

I'm not sure you could have chosen three more different synths. :?

Anyway there are hundreds of other synths available free and payware.

There is a sub-forum for this kind for post:

viewforum.php?f=74
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRAF
27717 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:56 am

My advice: Do some research. 3 very different synthesizers.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

KVRer

Topic Starter

4 posts since 30 Mar, 2021

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:32 am

Thanks for the quick responses. Lol, I know. I'm still really new in the synth world. I guess my overall question then would be recommended synths for that style.

KVRAF
1508 posts since 28 Mar, 2007

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 8:33 am

Synth1.

Amazing synth.

Under 1 megabyte without extra presets.

I have Massive X and never use it. The sound is so one dimesnsional.

Not sure about Syntronik, it sounds good on paper. But its 299 euros so it needs to be good.

KVRAF
20877 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from not here

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:24 am

I don't recommend taking a lot of heed of people you don't know and have no reason to trust telling you their assessment of a synth, when the matter may well be they know fuckall about how to use the thing.

In general

KVRist
94 posts since 30 Mar, 2020 from Germany

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:34 am

No matter what you opt for, my first advice is to watch out for sales. Syntronik is a mixture of samples and modelling, so it does not allow deep editing, but this might be a good choice for the start. Just don't pay the full price, IK does sales often and stuff goes down up to 75%...

KVRist
75 posts since 24 Jan, 2021

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:38 am

If you're looking for 80s-like analog sounds, you owe it to yourself to try synths from TAL, u-he, Cherry, and maybe Synapse or Plugin Alliance. A lot of them are inexpensive or have unlimited demo modes. Some, like Tyrell N6, are even free.

This is not a recommendation to go ahead and buy something. You really have to try stuff out first to know what fits your personal preferences.
I hate signatures too.

KVRist
260 posts since 27 Aug, 2020

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:45 am

Master ML-VST pg-8x and TAL Noisemaker, then move on to bigger emulations to get even more of the vintage synthwave sound.

I agree about Synth1 being a great sounding, extremely efficient little softsynth, but it's closer to a TAL Sampler and early lo-fi digital gear rather than Juno synths, which instantly lend themselves to the synthwave because of their architecture and overall sound. Especially pg-8x should get you in that general ballpark.

I'm sure Syntronik sounds great, but it might not be something suitable to learn synthesis on. Massive has probably the biggest sound palette of the three, but it's not that vintage sounding compared to the rest.

Honestly, out of the three, I'd probably pick Synth1 even if it's a different kind of vintage.

KVRian
619 posts since 9 Aug, 2018

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:55 am

^ As has been said, the best way to go is to try demos, where possible. Also other outright freeware, and yeah, there are some truly great options there. Perhaps start with some free vintage synth emulations.

You don’t need to spend any money at all to be able to make Synthwave. Of course, you can spend as much as you like, and some do. But do keep in mind, it’s mostly down to knowing that style of music, the arrangements and timbres typically used, etc.

KVRAF
8941 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:09 am

Definitely start with some freebies and demo the paid synths until you see a reason that you want to pay for them.
-Synth
-Tyrelln6
-Surge
-Vital
-Any of the free NI packs (like some free Reaktor Blocks)
-Dexed

See where those take you and compare to demos of other products.
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

h66
KVRist
65 posts since 17 Nov, 2012

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:11 am

Synth1 (you mean Synth1 or Sylenth1?)

KVRian
978 posts since 21 Apr, 2017 from Bahia, Brazil

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:56 am

Ana 2 ...on sale. Good sound, easy to program, reasonably deep if you want it to be and good presets.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://www.scrubbingmonkeys.com/

KVRAF
12376 posts since 13 Oct, 2009

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:15 pm

All you have to do is keep reading this thread and eventually every synth currently available, and some no longer available, will be recommended. Then, just choose one, simples!

KVRAF
2346 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Post Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:21 pm

Try out these 10 before you spend any money.

10 EPIC Free Synth Plugins You Need for Sound Design
https://youtu.be/K4LnW2hOAus
Windows 10; instruments from AAS, Ableton, AIR, Ample, Arturia, Cakewalk, Cherry, DiscoDSP, Fathom Pro, IKM, Initial, iZotope, KV331, NI, PluginBoutique, PluginGuru, PreSonus, Surge, TAL, Toontrack, Tracktion, u-he, UJAM, UVI, Vital, Waves, XLN, others.

Return to “Instruments”