Waldorf Pulse in VST

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRist

Topic Starter

139 posts since 6 Sep, 2010

Post Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:59 am

A quote from Wolfram in the SOS magazine PULSE review, "The clock has only a 0 and 1 position, so the Pulse's cross modulation is mathematically identical with ring modulation. ".

@imrae THANK YOU for bringing this out!

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:08 am

Here is the best explanation of Cross Mod I have ever seen ... not that I have seen that many :hihi:

I think I shall employ both methods, and learn stuff. Why not :?:

https://ask.video/video/advancedsynthe ... modulation

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:10 pm

I have made this bank. I am going to upload it to the LARGO area within the hour.

Ok it's uploaded now. It's called something like "Pulse 1 templates for LARGO". I have used it to make a few sounds and they don't have any of the shimmer or metallicness I associate with LARGO. I think it's gonna work.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:19 pm

May have to back step. I am seeing a lot of suggestions of an XOR mode available as a wave shape for OSC 2.

"... an XOR Osc mode that is a binary XOR combination of two PWM oscillators with two distinct output levels — high and low only — capable of producing inharmonic spectra unlike anything associated with any analogue synthesizer other than Waldorf’s original Pulse."

XOR and cross mod are not the same. I am starting to suspect this may have been a lost in translation scenario.

It would be nice if some experienced Pulse programmers could chime in. WHAT DOES IT DO (XOR? cross mod? From where to where and how?)

Or, what are the settings on a Pulse having to do with this subject?
Last edited by MutantHero on Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:24 pm

XOR, however limited to on off states (pulse wave), not continuous waves. Time for sleep.
Last edited by MutantHero on Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF
1579 posts since 2 Jul, 2010

Post Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:03 pm

XOR will give different results to ring mod when used with inputs other than square/pulse waves, because it is a binary logic that always returns binary values.

Btw "cross mod" is a bit of an ambiguous term because some people use it to describe certain implementations of ring mod, and some people use it to describe two oscillators FMing each other simultaneously.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:39 am

imrae wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:03 pm
"cross mod" is a bit of an ambiguous term because some people use it to describe certain implementations of ring mod, and some people use it to describe two oscillators FMing each other simultaneously.
Amen @imrae. We've been mislead by propaganda. I have anyway. The Pulse does not do X-Mod. Or let's call it a "X-Mod for liberals". Someone slap me. :party:
Last edited by MutantHero on Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:45 am

I am still verifying my misunderstandings - there was someone who "broke" Pulse by looking directly at its output waveforms, with and without "Waldorf X-Mod" applied.

If it turns out as I expect - in Pulse's case, a square wave XOR-ing a square/pwm wave, I will be forced to step away from LARGO. It has an XOR function available, but as of yet I have not found a way feed it with two oscillators (square and pwm in my/this case). Only other more esoteric "modifiers" are possible.

Disco DSP Corona and ArcSyn both have XOR selectable at the oscillator. A direct hat-tip to Pulse.

As to XOR-ing of a square and a pwm wave being mathematically identical to Ring Mod, I acknowledge, but everything has to be verified.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:42 am

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:44 am

I think I can rest now. My solution for Pulse in the box is I will use Largo to it's fullest extent (bass boost on / Brilliance: 000) for the sawtooth/analog side, and I will explore the XOR abilities of Disco DSP Corona and ArcSyn in the near future, for oscillator XOR. Largo's XOR is for modulation only, not oscillator mixing.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:26 am

I think I found a good way to emulate the XOR side of Pulse.
I am using Dune 3, and monitoring only the RM (ring modulation) slider.

• I have loaded OSC's 1 and 2 with a pulse wave.
• I select RESET on both (both will start at phase of zero degrees - unnecessary - but for learning/testing)
• I can modulate the pulse width of OSC 1 with LFO 1.
• I can select SYNC on and off for OSC 1.
• I can twist the SYNC FREQ knob or modulate with LFO 2 (or anything) in the mod matrix.
• I can change the pitch of OSC 2 which alters timbre not pitch (... wildly)

It's making raunchy noise. I don't know if it sounds like the Pulse or not, but it's interesting for sure. I love it

https://youtu.be/b_UnWFXEFGQ

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:42 pm

Looks like I applied SYNC to OSC 2 but I intended to do that on OSC 1.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Wed Apr 07, 2021 1:06 pm

I applied a short decay envelope to their MOOG filter and I heard what I have been wanting to hear. STOKED! Setting one or both oscillators' "RESET" on (that's DUNE's phase lock) and Unison to 3 voices with minimal panning on those 3 almost blew my eardrum out.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:40 pm

Embarrassed to say I am finally trying this in LARGO. You guys tried to tell me but I am just slow. Will report.

KVRAF
1816 posts since 13 Sep, 2007

Post Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:49 pm

I'm not sure did anybody mentioned but saws are changing shape like this because of phase rotation (say allpass filter)
Image Murderous duck!

Return to “Instruments”