Waldorf Pulse in VST

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRist

Topic Starter

139 posts since 6 Sep, 2010

Post Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:15 pm

There's the LARGO version. Ill try to make some actual sounds then I'll upload that to the Largo patch bank area in a day or two.

https://youtu.be/8Bv1rawpXlo

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:00 am

david.beholder wrote:
Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:49 pm
I'm not sure did anybody mentioned but saws are changing shape like this because of phase rotation (say allpass filter)
Say again? Sounds interesting.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:50 am

OK I broke Waldorf Pulse's Crossmod. Took about a week, and I don't own one. Thanks to the people who responded with helpful tips in this thread!

This info is from the Waldorf Pulse and Pulse 2 manuals and an SOS interview with Wolfram** when Pulse came out.

Assumptions:
- There is at least one other non-Pulse-owner person out there that wants to create Pulse XOR sounds in another synth.
- There may be errors (this is a best effort).

======================================================

Rote & Understanding:

Waldorf Pulse "Crossmod" is a misnomer.

Waldorf Pulse Crossmod is a unique waveform created by the XOR combination/calculation of two pulse waves.*

Since pulse waves are binary, an XOR calculation is possible. This is in reference to the waveform, not the oscillator itself. The audio path in Pulse / Pulse 2 is 100% analog.

The clock/control pulse signal of another audio oscillator will be combined with clock/control pulse signal of OSC 2.
An XOR calculation will be performed, and a new control signal is generated.
The new control signal is sent to OSC2 to render / play.
OSC2's audio waveform may be independently pulse width modulated.
OSC2's audio waveform may be independently SYNCed to OSC3's clock.

Redundant info:
OSC 1 or 3's audio waveform selection is irrelevant to the XOR combination/calculation with OSC 2. Only the pulse shaped on/off clock signals are considered.
OSC 1 and 3's audio waveform(s) is/are sent to the audio mixer, unchanged.
OSC 2's XORed, and/or PWMed, and/or SYNCed audio is sent to the mixer.

Application:
It is known that ring modulating two pulse waves (on/off) is mathematically identical to XORing them.

Therefore, if you have access to ring modulation on your synth, and two pulse waves, you can replicate Pulse's XOR abilities.

Correlation:
Comparing the actual audio: ultimately this has to be done by a Pulse owner with a good monitoring setup. I am not that person haha (no Pulse here)!
In the mean time I just choose to make nasty noises.

But there is an MP3 demo of Pulse on the Waldorf website under Legacy Hardware though.

I am still in the process of getting enough cool sounds in LARGO before uploading a bank. I probably will for DUNE 3 also. Will advise.

* XOR is "Exclusive Or" in Boolean logic. Look up "XOR Gate" on Wiki.

**corrections are solicited

Return to “Instruments”