Arturia Pigments 3 is out!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pigments 5

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:33 pm Yes, 500 extra presets
SLiC wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:34 pm 5 sound packs (for 19 bucks for existing users, free for new users)
thanks for the info! :tu:

Yeah, I personally don't like Arturia's sound and I'm not interested in Pigments, but I don't see any problem if they praise their own work. That's their vision about their synth, I'm ok with that.

EnGee wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:35 pm Is the cpu usage is more than with Massive X for example?
Pretty similar, I would say.

I really love the operation. Wished my other synths would be so easy to operate. Who needs a manual for this? :)
Sinisterbr wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:23 pm Yeah, I personally don't like Arturia's sound
I'm not really a fan too, but, Pigments is alright really. I always thought their genereal sound engine is fine. It's just the filters which could be more wild, in all of their synths. On the other hand, for a synth like Pigments, I think the filters are OK. Nothing extraordinary special, but, OK.

Think I already said this about version 1, but, I think Pigments is their best synth. As I have a 69 € crossgrade offer in my account, I will seriously consider it the next days. Especially as I can load the Virus wavetables (the only other synth that I own which has wavetable import is Synthmaster One, and I hate that thing...).
Last edited by chk071 on Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My favorite exaggeration is Tone2. Example:
Icarus2 is an extremely powerful synthesizer-workstation. The award-winning audio-engine provides a gigantic sonic range, offers true high-end sound quality and creates sounds impossible with other synths. . . .
Professional testers from various audio-magazines are convinced that Icarus is an epic synthesizer and a must-have for producers.
This workstation is one of the most versatile and mighty synthesizers ever.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

There must be more than three people simultaneously downloading stuff from Arturia, because the ASC app is just timing out as usual. Wish they would invest in a proper CDN solution instead of running their own server in a closet.
Last edited by Arashi on Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stormchild

You guys really want to make this thread about their product description now? Come on... we all know that marketing needs to put extra sugar on it. ;)
Arashi wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:30 pm There must be more than three people simultaneously downloading stuff from Arturia, because their site and the ASC app are just timing out as usual. Wish they would invest in a proper CDN instead of running their own server in a closet on a DSL connection.
Funnily, I was able to download the demo no problem. At first, I had some issues logging into Arturia Software Center, but, after that, it was quick.

Dirtgrain wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:28 pm My favorite exaggeration is Tone2. Example:
Icarus2 is an extremely powerful synthesizer-workstation. The award-winning audio-engine provides a gigantic sonic range, offers true high-end sound quality and creates sounds impossible with other synths. . . .
Professional testers from various audio-magazines are convinced that Icarus is an epic synthesizer and a must-have for producers.
This workstation is one of the most versatile and mighty synthesizers ever.
Well, I have to agree, that's a liiitle over the top, hahah :lol: :lol:

chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:31 pm Funnily, I was able to download the demo no problem. At first, I had some issues logging into Arturia Software Center, but, after that, it was quick.
I've got it downloading (very slowly) from the website now. ASC is now saying "Service Unavailable" and repeatedly fails to log in when clicking "Retry". This happens every time they release something new.
Stormchild

chk071 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:26 pm
EnGee wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:35 pm Is the cpu usage is more than with Massive X for example?
Pretty similar, I would say.

I really love the operation. Wished my other synths would be so easy to operate. Who needs a manual for this? :)
Sinisterbr wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:23 pm Yeah, I personally don't like Arturia's sound
I'm not really a fan too, but, Pigments is alright really. I always thought their genereal sound engine is fine. It's just the filters which could be more wild, in all of their synths. On the other hand, for a synth like Pigments, I think the filters are OK. Nothing extraordinary special, but, OK.
Well, I don't feel very confortable saying that in this thread, but I find Arturia's sound kinda "plasticky", 2D (highly subjective, I know), no matter which Arturia's synth. Maybe it's aliasing? Maybe it's the filters, as you said? I don't know. I just don't get along with their synths. Which is a shame, as I think they work pretty hard (I don't see any other company putting that much effort in their flagship synth!)

Oh for christ sake - it sounds bloody fantastic - my favourite plugin synth since Alchemy by far. I really don't buy this 'plasticky' perception - purely subjective and meaningless.

Here was Arturia's response......

"unfortunately, the current issue comes from a third-party service we're using, we're in touch with them and ready to fix everything as soon as we can".

Then a couple of hours ago:

"Hi everyone, our servers experienced extremely high demand due to the release of Pigments 3.
You may have faced longer wait times for the synchronization of Arturia Software Center, or to receive your license notification email, but the issue is now largely resolved".

I must have gotten in early as I was able to purchase, download, and install rather quickly but shortly after the ASC stopped responding and I couldn't log in.

The only issue I have is the Spectrum presets that were supposed to be free for new users are not showing as owned. I'll wait a couple of days as I'm sure they'll get it sorted.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:44 pm Oh for christ sake - it sounds bloody fantastic - my favourite plugin synth since Alchemy by far. I really don't buy this 'plasticky' perception - purely subjective and meaningless.
Just as subjective and meaningless as "sounds bloody fantastic" no ? :wink:

I like Pigments so far but it's not the best sounding synth I have....or the worst. :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

aMUSEd wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:44 pm Oh for christ sake - it sounds bloody fantastic - my favourite plugin synth since Alchemy by far.
I can totally understand that, especially as it's so immediate.

FWIW, I didn't complain about the general sound, I think Pigments sounds good. It's just that the filters are a bit your "average Joe's", so to say. For example, on the Mini filter, the resonance appears a bit as if it was disconnected from the sound (doesn't attenuate the oscillators in some cases, but rather appears like a separate sound). And, on the default multimode filter, the sound almost completely disappears, ahen you crank up the resonance, and it also doesn't sound very good with high resonance. Does that matter much? In most cases it doesn't, I'd say. It's just that I'm a sucker for great filters. Maybe even a snob in that regard. ;)

Anyway, opinions shmopinions. They're not dangerous. Everyone can demo the synth, and see what it's like. I think it's a really nice one, all in all.

ASC is slow, slooow...slooooow in the moment
remember the plate intro ?
well, lets wait a few hours/days iguess...

Teksonik wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:51 pm
aMUSEd wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:44 pm Oh for christ sake - it sounds bloody fantastic - my favourite plugin synth since Alchemy by far. I really don't buy this 'plasticky' perception - purely subjective and meaningless.
Just as subjective and meaningless as "sounds bloody fantastic" no ? :wink:
Yes of course that's essentially a fair point - but at least it's not based on a stereotype but on the fact that I enjoy playing it. I just get fed up (and a bit bored) with these sort of posts about various companies' so called 'plasticky' (or some other adjective) sounds - it always seems to be the same few (Arturia, Tone2 and NI) but I have never seen any basis in reality - just stereotypes. personally I like it as much for its playability as for its sound - sound wise possibly Massive X has the edge but it's just not as much fun to play or design sounds with. Pigments responds expressively like I want a musical instrument to and very few plugins really do that for me since Alchemy (which set the bar in terms of expression) - probably only Plasmonic rivals it in that respect out of the current batch, but in a very different way.

Return to “Instruments”