Arturia Pigments 3 is out!

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRian
1171 posts since 23 May, 2012 from London

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:46 am

I couldn't resist at 69e. I'm missing additive and granular capabilities in my toolbox and a synth with an LPG, so I don't feel too guilty about my purchase :lol:
Always Read the Manual!

KVRAF
2325 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:47 am

I'm chuffed with Pigments 3, it sounds gorgeous!

KVRAF
32500 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:57 am

Double Tap wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:30 am
And so how are these 500 presets? I never buy presets, but GAS.
Not tried the Spectrum presets yet, but out of the 200 Pigments 3 presets included in the update I have lots of favourites.

KVRAF
28431 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:01 am

PieBerger wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:46 am
I couldn't resist at 69e. I'm missing additive and granular capabilities in my toolbox and a synth with an LPG, so I don't feel too guilty about my purchase :lol:
Now that you say it... I miss those too...

Yes, looking for excuses. :D
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

KVRAF
3717 posts since 12 Jan, 2018

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:09 am

PieBerger wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:46 am
Feels better after reading this. No more guilty for just spending $49 on it. :lol:

If not for those features, just lingering around in this thread for some more time would have been enough to open the wallet anyway. ;)

KVRian
1152 posts since 11 Apr, 2008

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:17 am

LoveEnigma18 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:40 am
AFAIK, it should open fine (based on P1 to P2 Update). To be safe, just create a copy of project and then open and verify it if the project plays through as expected.
Arashi wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:33 am
The plugin is just called "Pigments" (doesn't contain the version number), so it will load in previous projects as expected. Version 3 just adds some new features to the existing plugin. Should be fully backwards compatible.
Thanks!
I just bounced reminding projects to multi-track audio "just in case".

Let's play with P3 now :)
Beware! The software discussed in this topic has unacceptable aliasing at -386dBTP but it can be fixed by changing the sample rate to 12Bit

KVRAF
5365 posts since 17 Aug, 2004 from Berlin, Germany

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:24 am

49€ I see in my account, that's a deal.
Pigments seems to have become a bit more interesting now. Could almost be seen as an alternative to Omnisphere?
Does anyone also use Ana 2? The two could complement each other well...

KVRist
423 posts since 8 Jan, 2012

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:40 am

Double Tap wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:30 am
And so how are these 500 presets? I never buy presets, but GAS.
I never buy presets either, but I thought seeing as the update was free, €19.99 seemed like a pretty good deal for 500 presets. For me, these presets are mostly very good, with far more hits than misses. There are lots of usable sounds. But you may feel differently.

KVRAF
2252 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:55 am

Are there any extra samples included with those 500 presets or do they just use what's already available?

KVRist
235 posts since 31 Dec, 2012

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:25 am

Splendid free update plus only $19.99 for the 500 presets. Love Pigments! Thank you Arturia!!

KVRist
129 posts since 11 Apr, 2019 from UK

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:36 am

I bought it yesterday, I had an email from plugindeals or something and it was offering it to me more expensive than from the arturia website lol... Always check that stuff... I did have some issues however:

- purchase pending after payment was made, took about 30 mins for the purchase to complete
- then I couldn't get the software center to login
- then tried offline activation but the instructions only tell you how to get the licence key but there is no option to use that key that I can find in the software center?
- then tried to activate directly from pigments, also failed to connect
- done some google fu and youtube fu, found that their servers are complete and utter shait and have been for many years... seems like its a very old and common complaint that the ASC is unable to login
- I then gave up for 4 hours, tried it again and the software center managed to login and activate

I think they probably need to put their authentication api on another server or something, or re-write it, because whatever it is, its a big problem and it's been around for many years.

But once I got into it, ye, really liked it, but by god it's CPU hungry... I got through a good few presets, setting my favs, and some of them were taking 1/3 of my cpu load on i9900k and nearly 1/2 of my 32GB ram was used by 3 instances and bitwig.

Some very nice sounds though and good deal :)
BitWig & FLStudio
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

KVRist
337 posts since 24 Dec, 2015

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:39 am

Vortifex wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:21 am
In terms of Pigments' sound it does feel to me like it lacks a certain oomph in the bottom end. A lot of the time I'll play something at the top of the keyboard, go for the big double octave bass note to support it and the expected low end just isn't there. It can do bass because I've heard it, so maybe it's just the presets. Last night I was actually checking to see if they'd used the EQ in some of the new presets to high pass them but no, that's just how it sounded.
If we're talking about those "bass" presets that are actually mid-high freq sounds with no sub and that sometimes have reverb/delay, that's something annoying to me because it's not my definition of a synth bass sound :roll: . It seems like it's half of the bass presets content in that synth.

But other than that, I do feel the same way about the lack of low-end in Pigments (but also in Hive 2 actually). Probably many factors that lower the volume of the oscillator (filters, distortion, phase issues, etc). Something to consider is that Pigments doesn't let you control the phase position of each oscillator so it makes it difficult to keep a very linear volume and bass tone. It could also be that those synths are "quiet" by default too.
My favorite "bass synth" is still NI Massive and I believe it's not only because this synth is loud af but they nailed the sub+low mid harmonics. It just stays strong regardless of some other factors like filter cutoff, the distortion, etc.
Last edited by sinemotor on Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF
2443 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:45 am

pixel85 wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 1:07 am
So this update is replacing P2. But it is possible to open previous projects with P2 or it shows a missing plugin or the patches/settings are gone?
Just opened up a project that I had last saved with Pigments 2 about 4 months ago. All is well!

It's just called "Pigments" now. Must be using the same internal plugin ID that v2 had, so the DAW has no problem with it.
Windows10; plugins from AAS, Ableton, AIR, Ample, Arturia, Cakewalk, Cherry, DiscoDSP, Fathom, IKM, Initial, iZotope, KV331, NI, PluginGuru, PreSonus, Surge, TAL, Tone2, Toontrack, Tracktion, u-he, UJAM, UVI, Vital, Waves, XLN ...

KVRist
32 posts since 28 Jun, 2010

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:22 am

I just discovered I've been doing modulation all wrong, and I could never figure out why everybody else was saying Pigments had such a great UI for adding modulation.

What I *was* doing was clicking on a mod source (LFO) and then going to the destination and setting the amount with the little circular indicator around the destination knob. I mean that's how it's done on a lot of synths, so Pigments seemed no better or worse: pick source, pick destination, pick amount. No big deal, but a bit fiddly to do with the mouse, and tedious to set up lots of mod routings.

It never occurred to me to click the little + sign next to a destination, which then lets me rapidly set multiple mod sources and amounts at once.

Just a PSA if anybody was only doing it the same way that I was.
Last edited by CausticPuppy on Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

KVRist
365 posts since 4 Feb, 2021

Post Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:23 am

I'd like to try this out but I have been away from software for half a decade and cannot really dig Arturia's sayings on the need of dongle. They talk about a physical as well as virtual dongle. I have always avoided the physical ones, but what does Virtual mean? Is it the same as when Reason 11 is activated by harddisk instead of ignition key?

Kind Regards
Gothi
ToH
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154
"First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or obligue motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

Return to “Instruments”