Arturia Pigments 3 is out!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pigments 5

Muziksculp wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:41 pm
telecode wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:38 pm
Muziksculp wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:34 pm I wish Pigments 3 sounded warmer, more analog like, it has that very digital, icy, metallic sound that I'm not a fan of.
i think you can tweak it to make it sound any way you want to. i tried it yesterday a bit.. that analog engine is actually really really nice sounding.
Ok. Thanks.

All of the presets have that cold-digital sound to them, I wish they warmed them up during the programming.
Saturate the low-mids.

Good point. I think, out of the box, the sound could be a bit unspectacular, depending on the kind of sound, of course, and could use some extra work.

For wavetable, it works great though. If anything, I sometimes layer a sine wave with the modulator, to give some more low end.

chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:40 pm I also wonder why there has been criticism about the analog engine. Couldn't find anything which made it fall short in comparison with the other engines.

Didn't try to make any parcticularly warm sounds with it yet though. But, it didn't strike me as overly cold either. Although wavetable synths definitely tend to sound a bit like that, if alone for the sound of the wavetables itself.

BTW, maybe it's just me, but, the sound of the filters reminds me a bit of the Tone2 filters.
I wondered the same.

I think folks are trying the presets which have been created to present a 'modern' synth sound, and then draw conclusions from that. Sine wave harmonics can easily sound cold and brittle. Same for many wavetables.

So I was testing with two analog engines, with 3 saws each, some unison voices and slight detune, and with a bit of drift. Then added a saw sub osc (-12 semi) in the utility engine, and then routed everything to one Jup-8 LP-24 filter with the high end slightly rolled off. Added some Flanger and Jun-6 Chorus to the FX. Sounds fat and warm to me! It's no Repro, but definitely not cold and brittle!
Windows 10 and too many plugins

Just got it. As a new buyer, so I got the sound sets too. I like what I'm hearing. :tu:

Wow. Its sequencer has probability triggers too. Usually I have to set up a Reason player for that purpose, but nice to have it included in the synth. My Reason set ups can get cluttered enough already.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

Ehm yes, cpu usage of Harmonic turned out at practice some bummer a bit. Sounds great though.
Will need else to check usage at init condition between v2-v3, at big poly.
Last edited by c_voltage on Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:44 pm Wow. Its sequencer has probability triggers too. Usually I have to set up a Reason player for that purpose, but nice to have it included in the synth. My Reason set ups can get cluttered enough already.
I like this feature as well. Ok, I was going to say more than that, but I just decided not to, so there you go, a lame "me too" comment.

ghettosynth wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:48 pm I like this feature as well. Ok, I was going to say more than that, but I just decided not to, so there you go, a lame "me too" comment.
+1
(just beat you on the lame scale :clown: )
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

telecode wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:15 pm
Igro wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:41 am Is it me or v3 CPU usage is much higher than in v2? My i7 laptop (but 5 years old) is struggling...
I feel that the quality of the synth has been improved comparing to v2, if that is the case.
I dont think I noticed CPU usage spike.. but how do you test? How do you launch V2 after you upgrade to V3?
I used v2 a lot. I made pads wih many voices and unison. It was not that CPU intensive.
Harmonic module is a cpu killer, but I'm glad that i prefer the minimum amount of partials cos i like that additive lo-fi sound.

zzz00m wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:24 pm It's no Repro
You have just stated what people are thinking. It's not about just trying presets. The first thing that I do is setup a quick patch to try the filters, conclusion, it's no repro.

You guys are totally right. It's no RePro. It's Pigments. :ud:

Dunno why RePro is such a thing here anyway. It might be a great emulation, but, the synth it is based on doesn't sound as good as, say, the Minimoog to me.

Apart from being totally different in nature to Pigments, of course. If you want to compare it with something from u-he (dunno why, but, whatever), you should rather compare it to something like Zebra.

Teksonik wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:30 pm
Bartone wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:16 pm Hi!

I can’t find curve option for Envelopes’s release? Maybe I am missing something?
Maybe this ? Mouse over the symbol to the right of the Release knob.

Pigments 042321-1.png
No, I mean curve just for release. So the release curve can be independently modified. This option makes release slave to decay. Or am I doing something wrong here?

I miss an option to set the release slope too. Would be great to have. Either that, or, a longer release stage.

chk071 wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:59 pm If you want to compare it with something from u-he (dunno why, but, whatever), you should rather compare it to something like Zebra.
Now that's a great idea for another KVR thread someone needs to start. Maybe include a poll too! :lol:
Windows 10 and too many plugins

It is very non-Arturia for an Arturia synth. GUI is more functional than photo fancy. The keys graphics must be their worst till this day. The analog section neither claims itself nor is a (half-full) wannabee. The digital sections seem to be crafted with care and efficiency. It is the first Arturia synth in their history that has gone wow on me, but given the above, it may not be such a surprise after all.

Return to “Instruments”