VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
2285 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Post Fri Apr 30, 2021 7:50 pm

aMUSEd wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:41 am
telecode wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:21 am
Is anyone using Pigments 3 on Maschine. I am getting a thing where it shows in the NKS browser and I can scroll through the presets, but when I actually try to click to insert it -- it errors out with "file not found".
I'm not getting this in Komplete Kontrol, which is pretty much the same thing, but it is clear that Arturia do need to update Pigments NKS implementation (along with some other VColl8 plugins) so maybe that is why?
I am not getting the issue in KK either. But I do get it in Maschine. Thanks. I was not aware it wasn't NKS ready yet. I asumed it was as it shows up in Maschine and allows for browsing of presets. I guess I will wait for Arturia to patch it.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

KVRAF
15225 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Sat May 01, 2021 7:56 am

Here's a patch to test the CPU of your system. I didn't pay any attention to the CPU demand while programming it on my studio system but I moved it to this system and the patch will choke it out in five seconds by holding only one note. It's a really simple sound but reducing the polyphony to three will take the CPU demand down while still allowing the patch to "breathe".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRAF
2411 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Post Sat May 01, 2021 2:44 pm

I tried to import that preset but cannot find it in Pigments. I added the file extension .pgtx to 'Contemplate Tek' and Pigments says it imported OK, but it's nowhere to be found...
Windows10; plugins from AAS, Ableton, AIR, Ample, Arturia, Cakewalk, Cherry, DiscoDSP, Fathom, IKM, Initial, iZotope, KV331, NI, PluginGuru, PreSonus, Surge, TAL, Tone2, Toontrack, Tracktion, u-he, UJAM, UVI, Vital, Waves, XLN ...

KVRian
530 posts since 23 Dec, 2011

Post Sat May 01, 2021 3:51 pm

Analog Lab 5.2.0 came out today. It supports the new Pigments version. The big deal here (for me) - is the new Pigments patches can be mapped from my controller (from inside Analog Lab standalone). This allows Program Changes, and Session control for Novation SL MKIII users of Pigments. Nice addition / support.

KVRAF

Post Sat May 01, 2021 5:47 pm

zzz00m wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 2:44 pm
I tried to import that preset but cannot find it in Pigments. I added the file extension .pgtx to 'Contemplate Tek' and Pigments says it imported OK, but it's nowhere to be found...
I just dropped the file into one of my folders, shows up here. No need to import as it doesn't use any custom wavetables or samples.

Here I exported the preset. This file you can import. It should end up in the user bank.
Pigments_Preset_Contemplate Tek_20210501_18h55.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRAF
6934 posts since 7 Oct, 2005 from NZ

Post Sat May 01, 2021 6:09 pm

It seems a good recent CPU makes a difference! I just tested Pigments preset "Dark Strings of Heaven" with the Ryzen 5800x and at 48khz and 128 playing many chords fast, and it is barely reaches 33% inside Cubase (which is running fine now without any spikes!). However, I did make a fresh install in a new SSD with a new motherboard and memory. I also installed the latest nVidia driver that gave me a choice between a gamer edition and a Pro edition, so I chose the 'pro' edition. So, maybe all that is making my new experience worth all the money spent on upgrade :D
Cubase Pro 11, Studio One Pro v5, NI, Arturia, u-he, Synapse Audio, Kilohearts, Korg, Sugar Bytes, PA and others.
PC with Win10, MODX 6, KeyLab MK II, iTwo interface, ATOM, DT 990 Pro and HS7 monitors.

KVRAF

Post Sat May 01, 2021 6:20 pm

Now try the patch I posted above.... :hihi:

KVRAF

Post Sat May 01, 2021 6:40 pm

Teksonik wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:20 pm
Very nice preset. I like it :tu:

Yes, this one is heavy, but I could play it without any crackles or clicks :P The CPU is max %71.
Cubase Pro 11, Studio One Pro v5, NI, Arturia, u-he, Synapse Audio, Kilohearts, Korg, Sugar Bytes, PA and others.
PC with Win10, MODX 6, KeyLab MK II, iTwo interface, ATOM, DT 990 Pro and HS7 monitors.

KVRian
1331 posts since 2 Jul, 2007

Post Sat May 01, 2021 6:47 pm

Arturia's V-collection/Pigments as far as Midi mapping is among the best now, especially patch changes, other developers like Native, Uvi , U-he, Tone2 etc need to take notes, Arturia's killing it right now! I even picked up a Keylab MK2 61 just for the integration,although mapping my other hardware is a breeze too,but definitely needed an extra midi controller since I sold off Komplete Kontrol mk2,and the waste of time that was.
Cpu: Win10/Intel Core i9-10900K + Apple Mac OSX/BigSur/Slate VMS/Antelope Audio Discrete 8 Synergy Core
Synths: Yamaha Motif XS 7/Moog One 16/Sequential OB-6/Virus TI2 61/DeepMind 12D/Blofeld/Akai MPC X

KVRian
1069 posts since 23 Jun, 2007

Post Sat May 01, 2021 11:24 pm

Do you find Pigment is weak on the low end spectrum ?
I compared a simple PWM with spire and pigment and spire clearly add more low end.
Pigment is too focussed on mid range and top audio spectrum.

KVRist
346 posts since 8 Jan, 2005

Post Sat May 01, 2021 11:25 pm

Teksonik wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:20 pm
52% @41kHz 12ms latency on Renoise. :party:
MacBook Pro M1 . 16GB . 1TB . Logic Pro . Bitwig Studio . Renoise . Reason . FL Studio

KVRAF

Post Sat May 01, 2021 11:53 pm

dupont wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 11:24 pm
I compared a simple PWM with spire and pigment and spire clearly add more low end.
When I run Massive X, I feel that besides some other synths. That's being said, I still find MX and some other synths like Razor and Bazille (not talking about Diva or other analogue synths) make me more "wow" and moved more than Pigments. I think Pigments is an excellent good general synth. Something like Zebra but more modern for leads, pads and effects.

KVRAF
5312 posts since 17 Aug, 2004 from Berlin, Germany

Post Sun May 02, 2021 12:47 am

Where does the high CPU consumption come from? At least with wavetables and even with Unison, it shouldn't be that high.

KVRAF

Post Sun May 02, 2021 12:56 am

To be honest, I think the cpu consumption is too high for the sound quality! It seems mostly from the granular engine and additive engine.
But, I think if we use it carefully, we can achieve good results without that high cpu. Maybe one engine is enough (with the utility engine).

KVRAF
28116 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun May 02, 2021 1:12 am

dupont wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 11:24 pm
Make sure to deactivate the "warm" algorithm in Spire's master section though, otherwise you will get some bass boost.

That said, I'm sure it'll still be more beefy then. I tend to use the modulator in Pigments with a sine wave, to add a bit of beef.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

Return to “Instruments”