Arturia Pigments 3 is out!

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Pigments 5

I run pigments on an i7k. optimized for ultimate processing. the clicks and stutters come from modulations (mostly lfo), not oscillators.

I’m ordering a 5950X (and an entire new computer’s worth of parts) today so I’ll post if I’m able to reach the legendary status of underrun/crackle-free max-duration max-rate polyphonic granular.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/63Br3Z

And I just bought a second hand 2012 Mac Mini so I… won’t even attempt it

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

zzz00m wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:38 pm
Teksonik wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:15 am Yes I'm running 3.1.0.1552 as well just on Win 10. I just timed it again and 26 seconds for the first instance and 15 for the second. Doesn't sound like that long but when you're sitting there staring at the screen it seems a lot longer. :lol:

Pigments is the only Arturia synth I own so I wonder if they're all that slow?

Ooops I lied I've got Analog Lab 4 and V and both of them took about 45 seconds to load. :o
Pigments 3 and Analog Lab V both take about 10 secs to load here. So they are the slow ones.

My other V Collection 8 synths take about 5 secs each to load.
Same here. Initial load .. 10 seconds for Pigments 3. Other Arturia VC 8 about 5 seconds. Moving between patches / groups once I have an instance opened - is instant. ...and no noticable CPU hit for me. This on an old Macbook Pro Early 2013 i5 with 8 GB RAM. Are there specific patches that are causing folks grief?

jdoo wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:29 pm Are there specific patches that are causing folks grief?
Yes. Teksonik created and posted a test patch for Pigments earlier in this thread (p.43) that will make your system hit the wall.

Maxing out the partials and voices as I recall. Not all patches do this of course, as it was a demonstration only.

Per Arturia:
Watch your partials. Polyphonic patches using more than 128 Partials may overload your CPU. If that's the case, limit your Partials to 128 or less. You can still have high-frequency content by setting a higher Ratio or applying FM.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

I recall downloading / trying Teksonik's cpu killer patch. IIRC -- it *did* peg my cpu. That said though... None of the few dozen patches I used in Pigments 3 are pushing my cpu over the top. It may be, that I am bot using a lot of partials & voices? In any case.. glad they're aware, and hopefully correcting the problem. In the meantime.. Im using Pigment 3 without issue (for my use). All good.

Happy Sunday...

briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:52 pm I'll buy pigments 3 if the oscillators in the VA section, especially the pulse wave, don't sound like complete garbage. Modulating the pwm on pigments sounds like freeware from 2005. Love the layout tho.
Yeah, what's up with PWM? I'm trying Pigments out for the first time and I'm taken aback by how nice everything else sounds in comparison to PWM. Was programming some Juno 60-style PWM keys, and there's some kind of weird "squawk" at the beginning of every note (especially when using an envelope to modulate the pulse width).

Just to make sure I wasn't hearing things, I pulled up Alchemy, TAL's U-No-LX, and Logic's Retro Synth, and they all sound fine.

A little confused.

Bandaide wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:02 pm
briefcasemanx wrote: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:52 pm I'll buy pigments 3 if the oscillators in the VA section, especially the pulse wave, don't sound like complete garbage. Modulating the pwm on pigments sounds like freeware from 2005. Love the layout tho.

Yeah, what's up with PWM? I'm trying Pigments out for the first time and I'm taken aback by how nice everything else sounds in comparison to PWM. Was programming some Juno 60-style PWM keys, and there's some kind of weird "squawk" at the beginning of every note (especially when using an envelope to modulate the pulse width).

Just to make sure I wasn't hearing things, I pulled up Alchemy, TAL's U-No-LX, and Logic's Retro Synth, and they all sound fine.

A little confused.
The PWM oscillator sound is baffling. The most vanilla sounding softsynths have much nicer PWM oscillator sound. So weird since with Arturia usually their oscillators sound good and it's the filters that sound a bit bland.

E_Anderson wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:11 pm I’m ordering a 5950X (and an entire new computer’s worth of parts) today so I’ll post if I’m able to reach the legendary status of underrun/crackle-free max-duration max-rate polyphonic granular.

Will be interested to hear how this goes, have been wondering about upgrading mine to this platform as well. (Wasn’t planning on 128GB of RAM though, blimey! But it makes sense in terms of memory/core if you’re doing something heavy on there.)

briefcasemanx wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:30 pm

A little confused.
The PWM oscillator sound is baffling. The most vanilla sounding softsynths have much nicer PWM oscillator sound. So weird since with Arturia usually their oscillators sound good and it's the filters that sound a bit bland.
there is always something broken with arturia no? this time it s pwm, next plug it s something esle, that make me think when you buy their hardware you better cross your finger

imrae wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:33 pm
E_Anderson wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:11 pm I’m ordering a 5950X (and an entire new computer’s worth of parts) today so I’ll post if I’m able to reach the legendary status of underrun/crackle-free max-duration max-rate polyphonic granular.

Will be interested to hear how this goes, have been wondering about upgrading mine to this platform as well. (Wasn’t planning on 128GB of RAM though, blimey! But it makes sense in terms of memory/core if you’re doing something heavy on there.)
Definitely, I’ll try to remember. Unfortunately the build is delayed as the RAM seller is taking a month to even begin to ship it, so I bought other RAM and am trying to cancel the previous order. Probably by next weekend, we’ll be in business! Can’t wait, as my current computer can’t come close to handling the kontakt- and generally-ram-heavy orchestral music I’ve been trying to write.

kobal wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:05 am

A little confused.
there is always something broken with arturia no? this time it s pwm, next plug it s something esle, that make me think when you buy their hardware you better cross your finger
No.

briefcasemanx wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 1:43 pm
kobal wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 10:05 am

A little confused.
No.
then look at their forum or better you don t and still think everyhting fine :)

kobal wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:16 pm then look at their forum or better you don t and still think everyhting fine :)
Who cares about the forum. They should just close it down. No one uses it anyway.
Stormchild

Arashi wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:31 pm
kobal wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 7:16 pm then look at their forum or better you don t and still think everyhting fine :)
Who cares about the forum. They should just close it down. No one uses it anyway.
I’m not using his lungs so I don’t see the point of breathing

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Return to “Instruments”