Softube Model 84 (Juno 106)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Model 84 Polyphonic Synthesizer

I was able to reprogram some sounds in Diva (to the point where I was happy with it and could have removed Model 84). It didn't really work with Unison sounds + Pulse Oscillator. Diva does allow 6x stacking and you get pretty close to it with the DCO module.... but it sounds different. Apart from the fact that you need a multiple of the time with finetuning in Diva, which takes only a fraction of the time in Model 84.

Diva is great, but it does not sound like a Juno-106. The 106 makes a bunch of sounds I really like, which cannot be recreated with Diva. I’ve tried. Sure, some basic patches can be more or less exactly matched, but then I can make those sounds with any number of other synths too. The ones that actually showcase the character of the 106 — especially (but not only) the chorus — cannot be made with Diva. Therefore if you’re specifically looking for the sound of a Juno-106, Diva is not a contender. Even DCO-106 (the weakest of the bunch) will get you closer.
Stormchild

Arashi wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:50 pm Diva is great, but it does not sound like a Juno-106. The 106 makes a bunch of sounds I really like, which cannot be recreated with Diva.
I don't have a Juno 106 in hardware, but let's use M-84 as a proxy. Are there any factory patches on there, that you're unable to make on Diva? I'd like to give it a shot.

anadroid wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:45 am I don't have a Juno 106 in hardware, but let's use M-84 as a proxy. Are there any factory patches on there, that you're unable to make on Diva? I'd like to give it a shot.
Here are a couple of my go-to presets for comparing 106 emulations.

A46 Dark Pluck — Diva is very close on this one. It sounds pretty convincing, but when compared to M84 and my System-8, the latter sound pretty much identical, and Diva stands out. I'd call this one a success though.

A72 Pluck Sweep — Diva can get into the ballpark, but it's noticeably different, and I can't quite close the gap.

I attached my attempts. See if you can improve on them. They can probably use a couple more tweaks, but my ears need a break.

Update: I had the wrong filter module selected in these presets (Multimode instead of Cascade). Doesn't affect A46 Dark Pluck much, but I was able to get A72 Pluck Sweep to sound closer to correct by switching to the Cascade filter, increasing the resonance a bit, and changing LFO2's restart mode to "single". Just updated both presets and replaced the zip file, so anyone who downloaded it earlier should grab the new version now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stormchild

I wish it had the option to cut the hiss coming from the chorus as in the Roland Cloud Juno 106.
Anyone know when does the extra discount code expires?

Softube support replied to me about the blurry GUI.

If you are on Mac you should be ok.

For windows users, they are working on it apparently. So it will be fixed just we don’t know when.

nj wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:21 am I wish it had the option to cut the hiss coming from the chorus as in the Roland Cloud Juno 106.
Anyone know when does the extra discount code expires?
Yeah, it's cute once, but I really don't want it.

The intro pricing and coupon are valid until May 20.
Stormchild

Anyone know if there's a way to sync the LFO to the host? I wanted to get it synced to a BPM of 104, but it seems there's no finer control for adjusting the speed so it ends up being too fast or too slow. I know it's an emu, but it's software so I'm hoping there's something I overlooked.

elxsound wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:51 pm Anyone know if there's a way to sync the LFO to the host? I wanted to get it synced to a BPM of 104, but it seems there's no finer control for adjusting the speed so it ends up being too fast or too slow. I know it's an emu, but it's software so I'm hoping there's something I overlooked.
Not that I could find. Hugely annoying limitation.

perpetual3 wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:20 pm
elxsound wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 4:51 pm Anyone know if there's a way to sync the LFO to the host? I wanted to get it synced to a BPM of 104, but it seems there's no finer control for adjusting the speed so it ends up being too fast or too slow. I know it's an emu, but it's software so I'm hoping there's something I overlooked.
Not that I could find. Hugely annoying limitation.
Damn... That's too bad. Hopefully, there's an update in the future to at least add finer control because I'm sure I could get closer on hardware than I can with this.

canadian_moose wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:24 am Softube support replied to me about the blurry GUI.

For windows users, they are working on it apparently. So it will be fixed just we don’t know when.
It's not ok on Mac. I have it installed on a mac with BigSur and one on Catalina. Both are blurry. The one on BigSur retains its size though.

dvnation wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:03 pm
canadian_moose wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:24 am Softube support replied to me about the blurry GUI.

It's not ok on Mac. I have it installed on a mac with BigSur and one on Catalina. Both are blurry. The one on BigSur retains its size though.
That's weird. On my iMac 27" (Big Sur) it's looking perfectly fine. Not blurry at all. And I enlarged the GUI quite a bit.

RichN wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:11 pm
dvnation wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:03 pm It's not ok on Mac. I have it installed on a mac with BigSur and one on Catalina. Both are blurry. The one on BigSur retains its size though.
That's weird. On my iMac 27" (Big Sur) it's looking perfectly fine. Not blurry at all. And I enlarged the GUI quite a bit.
I think that you and dvnation have to exchange images because you might have a different perception of what is blurry.
Yorgos Simeonidis

RichN wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:11 pm
dvnation wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 6:03 pm

This is my take too. I'm now on Big Sur and it's not blurry at all. I also had no problems resizing the GUI.

I see some mild blurring if I go large on 21" retina (VST & AU). It's still reasonably clear...we're not talking Waves here 8)

Return to “Instruments”