Softube Model 84 (Juno 106)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Model 84 Polyphonic Synthesizer

BONES wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:43 am
trusampler wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:10 pmDoes Softube vsti not allow for program changes / assign midi controllers to change patches? Pretty basic design if so,I'm wondering how guys would perform live with this synth,without program changes.
You still have to have your computer running, so you'd just change it in your DAW.
How would you change the patch in your DAW without using the mouse and clicking? I'm completely new to MIDI controllers and demoing the Softube Model 84 now. I can't figure out how to change patches from the controller (Arturia Keylab MKII).

melodeath wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:39 pm
trusampler wrote: Tue May 04, 2021 5:10 pmDoes Softube vsti not allow for program changes / assign midi controllers to change patches? Pretty basic design if so,I'm wondering how guys would perform live with this synth,without program changes.
You still have to have your computer running, so you'd just change it in your DAW.
How would you change the patch in your DAW without using the mouse and clicking? I'm completely new to MIDI controllers and demoing the Softube Model 84 now. I can't figure out how to change patches from the controller (Arturia Keylab MKII).
Unfortunately, too few synths allow you to MIDI Learn the next/previous buttons to change patches. However, many [but not all] synths do support Program Changes messages. Not sure if Model 84 supports Program Change messages, but you can check out the manual on that. Some synths will respond to the computer keyboard's arrow buttons, which is the next best thing.

My only issue with this synth is when I click the tool icon in Ableton 11, it takes a bit for the synth to actually show up. And the Gui is very slow to respond if I click on a knob.

I put an Ableton LFO on the model 84 filter envelope and it crashed ableton multiple times (happens when the gui is displayed)

So I can’t use it with reliability yet. Windows PC here.

No issues using Bitwig modulators or UI response on Mac Catalina for what it’s worth.

melodeath wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:39 pmHow would you change the patch in your DAW without using the mouse and clicking? I'm completely new to MIDI controllers and demoing the Softube Model 84 now. I can't figure out how to change patches from the controller (Arturia Keylab MKII).
Clicking with your mouse is exactly how I would do it. Or you could set each patch up on a separate MIDI channel and switch channels to switch patches.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:04 pm
melodeath wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 3:39 pm
Unfortunately, too few synths allow you to MIDI Learn the next/previous buttons to change patches. However, many [but not all] synths do support Program Changes messages. Not sure if Model 84 supports Program Change messages, but you can check out the manual on that. Some synths will respond to the computer keyboard's arrow buttons, which is the next best thing.
I contacted Softube tech support, and they mentioned they would pass this along to the developers for a feature request. With companies emulating synths,I personally find it a disservice when they forget to add or leave out intentionally the way the synth actually performs in terms of midi. This VST synth is too good,to not have it work well with midi controllers, or your hardware synths.

To answer the question to a previous poster above. If you check out Arturia's V-Collection,or Spectrasonics Omnisphere they have implemented a midi learn function, that allows one to map buttons to their browser,which is essentially like midi program changes, albeit without banks.For example, I also own a Arturia Keylab MK2 and ( Arturia V-collection, Pigments ) work similar even when mapping it to my Motif XS7. So any controller will work with Arturia's new synths, and Spectrasonics Omnisphere in terms of midi mapping browser support.

I'm happy to report that tech support is at least passing it on to their development team,hopefully they see the need for such a feature. I personally hate the mouse when playing synths,and turning knobs,or changing patches, imo that's what hardware excels at.
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

trusampler wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:50 am To answer the question to a previous poster above. If you check out Arturia's V-Collection,or Spectrasonics Omnisphere they have implemented a midi learn function, that allows one to map buttons to their browser,which is essentially like midi program changes, albeit without banks.For example, I also own a Arturia Keylab MK2 and ( Arturia V-collection, Pigments ) work similar even when mapping it to my Motif XS7. So any controller will work with Arturia's new synths, and Spectrasonics Omnisphere in terms of midi mapping browser support.
Yes, the Keylab MKII works great with Analog Lab (I don't have V Collection....yet), but it's annoying I can't seem to change patches or presets with other software. So far, I've only tried Softube and IK's Syntronik, but in both of them I have to change the preset on my computer and not on the controller. I'm not sure if MIDI Learn is the answer to that, but this is a totally new area for me, as I mentioned. I haven't tried MIDI learn for mapping knobs and buttons, but that seems simple enough, at least in Softube.

Don’t hold you’re breath for any updates from Softube. They are definitely not in the business of adding functionality.

Update in softube central today seems to have fixed all the blurry UI and text issues when resizing the 84
(Windows 10 for me)

Thanks for the heads-up. I was just making a few new patches for this the other night. I expected to be bored with it in a week or two but it has held my interest longer that that. Mind you, I still haven't actually used it in a song anywhere. I need to find something it can do because I do like the sound of it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Is this considered to be the closest Roland JX emulation currently available?

I don't really know how different Juno and JX, but it seems they sound very close based on Youtube comparison videos.

5 Classic Juno 106 Basslines (90s,00s) Using Softube Model 84

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1k-abiWwUQ

stash98 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 6:44 pm My only issue with this synth is when I click the tool icon in Ableton 11, it takes a bit for the synth to actually show up. And the Gui is very slow to respond if I click on a knob.
Yeah whoever runs their gui dev should be fired but keep the designer. It takes a few seconds on my i9 processor with 64 gigs. Come on softube. With opengl enabled their pkugins are crash city. Without it it's slow but at least they crash less. They really need to figure out how to implement guis in 2021. Windows 10 here also. Maybe they only have Mac devs or something.

functionform wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:09 pm They really need to figure out how to implement guis in 2021. Windows 10 here also. Maybe they only have Mac devs or something.
yeah, lol, no. :?

A huge fan of the Arturia emulation here. The extra envelope really opens up the sound design possibilities. The reverb and delays are great as well. Own the Cherry Juno too - and while I like it, it feels a bit boring and static compared with the Arturia version. I keep hearing that the Softube sounds even better but damn I really don't want to miss out on the second envelope and reverb. Those are bloody great. Definitely one of my favourite synths of the last couple of months.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

Return to “Instruments”