Softube Model 84 (Juno 106)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Model 84 Polyphonic Synthesizer

I should not have started watching the videos before checking the copy protection. :(
Sounds great, but ilok only. Nope.

db3 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:29 pm If the EQ slider is set to zero, that gives a bass boost. See the diagram in the side panel. 1 = flat.
Yep. The VCA level also changes the perception, especially when HPF, or EQ as they're calling it here, is set to 0 (boost). As said, it's generally set slightly louder and a bit brighter than Roland's 106 plugin. Adjusting those levels, and turning the condition to the lowest setting, Roland's will tend to line up more. Initial impression was Softube's still leans a bit brighter, which may be good or bad depending on the sound and your tastes.

Mr Arkadin wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:01 pm I feel like if you can't make your own init patch on this thing then maybe you need just a preset synth.
Who said they can't make their own INIT?

All that was said is that it's annoying it doesn't already have one. Option-clicking every slider, even if only once, is annoying. It's also annoying that after saving my own INIT, I can only access it by navigating to it through the (not at all great) preset browser. I much prefer synths that offer a faster way to initialize the instrument as needed, or simply load in an INIT state to begin with.

But apparently you needed your highly condescending / "I'm superior to others!" post for the day, so congratulations I guess.

mholloway wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:36 pm
Mr Arkadin wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:01 pm I feel like if you can't make your own init patch on this thing then maybe you need just a preset synth.
Who said they can't make their own INIT?

All that was said is that it's annoying it doesn't already have one. Option-clicking every slider, even if only once, is annoying. It's also annoying that after saving my own INIT, I can only access it by navigating to it through the (not at all great) preset browser. I much prefer synths that offer a faster way to initialize the instrument as needed, or simply load in an INIT state to begin with.

But apparently you needed your highly condescending / "I'm superior to others!" post for the day, so congratulations I guess.
Jeez, next time I'll put a winky on the post, talk about reading too much into it (roll eyes would go here, but I don't want to upset any delicate flowers).

It's very unusual for a soft synth not to have a default or init patch. I can't actually think of another company that doesn't to be honest.

simmo75 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:56 pm Honestly, what makes the Softube version better than the Cherry Audio $29 version?
A rather small company that wants to do challenge response and where I don't know if I get another response code in one years time or an established company where I can put the license on a dongle ... Both sounding good.
Easy decision for me

Mr Arkadin wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:55 am

Jeez, next time I'll put a winky on the post, talk about reading too much into it (roll eyes would go here, but I don't want to upset any delicate flowers).
Classic. You make a post that is literally nothing more than a condescending superiority trip, and then when you're called out for it, you play the "oh but I was just joking, jeez" card. Next time, just skip the condescending jerk post, and then you won't need to switch-up your act when people call it what it is.
Last edited by mholloway on Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

rasmusklump wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:13 am
simmo75 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:56 pm Honestly, what makes the Softube version better than the Cherry Audio $29 version?
A rather small company that wants to do challenge response and where I don't know if I get another response code in one years time or an established company where I can put the license on a dongle ... Both sounding good.
Easy decision for me
A USB flash drive (which is essentially what iLok is) can hold its data for ~10 years. Just so you know :)

You don't need a dongle with iLok. I don't have one, never have. Which is not to say that I am agreeing with anyone because I think worrying about copy protection and how long a company might stick around is stupid. I have no issues with iLok and I'm sure I will get bored with my Cherry Audio products and stop using them long before they go out of business.
Muziksculp wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:11 amSo, how good is the Softube Model 84 (Roland Juno 106 Emulation) ?
How good can it be, given the source material? It's only got one oscillator, with a sub-osc, the filter is strictly low-pass, the LFO only has one shape and there is only one envelope which, at least, is ADSR. So basically it's probably worth the $25 Cherry Audio ask for their version but who would pay even the intro price for this?

I mean, I really like simple synths but this is way, way too simple, even for me. Honestly, if U-He or Synapse or anyone else put all their best components into a synth with this feature-set, no-one would pay for it so why would you pay for it just because it sounds like some old piece of garbage from 40 years ago? I get why you'd buy the RePros or Obsession or The Legend but this thing makes no sense, no matter how closely they nail it. And I can guarantee you that nobody bought the real thing because of the way it sounded, it was all about having patch memory and MIDI in a sub-$1000 synth and nothing more. JX-3P was a way better synth that no-one seems to care about any more.

That said, I do quite like its sound so I'm left to wonder why they wouldn't take that sound and turn it into something much better than the original. Give it two oscillators, add high-pass, band-pass and notch modes to the filter, put in a separate envelope for the filter and add a few extra shapes to the LFO. At least they fixed the problem with the original's unison which, without detune, just made the sound louder. The unison on this sounds great.
simmo75 wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 6:34 pmSo I have to zero out the presets to make a new patch?
The original didn't have an INIT patch, so you'll just have to suck it up, I'm afraid. Just be thankful there are only 10 or so parameters to zero out before you start. Of course, you could do it once and then save it as your own INIT patch if you wanted to.
PAK wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:03 pmInitial impression was Softube's still leans a bit brighter, which may be good or bad depending on the sound and your tastes.
If it's too bright, you can always close the filter a little bit more but if it's not bright enough, you can't always open it to compensate.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:55 am Honestly, if U-He or Synapse or anyone else put all their best components into a synth with this feature-set, no-one would pay for it
Very interesting observation.

BONES wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:55 am just because it sounds like some old piece of garbage from 40 years ago?
Ok, I'm not a pure emu guy, and I don't care that much for simple synths from that era, and Roland are so full of themselves, but, the Juno 6/60/106 are not "garbage."

IMNSHO, the IR3109 VCF chip has something, it's probably my favorite Roland filter. One thing that I've noticed is that I'm a sucker for accurately modeled filters. I'm not even a fan of CEM filters and I bought Repro because of how connected my memories of the hardware made me feel to the software. Listening to the demos with high resonance settings, I'm not going to lie, I was impressed.

mholloway wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:14 am Classic. You make a post that is literally nothing more than a condescending superiority trip, and then when you're called out for it, you play the "oh but I was just joking, jeez" card. Next time, just skip the condescending jerk post, and then you won't need to switch-up your act when people call it what it is.

I feel you're overreacting somewhat, not sure what nerve I hit but I'll leave it there.

Personally I made a preset called +Init which then always appears at the top of the patch list, so you don't have to hunt for it. Maybe not ideal but it's a bit of a solution.

ghettosynth wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:07 amOk, I'm not a pure emu guy, and I don't care that much for simple synths from that era, and Roland are so full of themselves, but, the Juno 6/60/106 are not "garbage."
Yes, they are. I went through it once but I'll go through it again, just for you - one oscillator (with sub), low-pass only filter, LFO with just one wave shape and a single ADSR envelope. Jupiter 6 was the real deal, the Junos were budget synths and, as I said, people bought them because they were a cheap way into MIDI and patch memory, not because they were blown away by the sound or the features. They were what you bought if you couldn't afford a Jupiter or an OB or a Prophet but you needed a polysynth. I'll guarantee that in the second half of the 80s you couldn't have given one away.
the IR3109 VCF chip has something, it's probably my favorite Roland filter.
So what? Like I said, I quite like the sound but the point, the problem, is that they lack enough features to be of any use to anyone.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Pretty simple for me really tbh. Sure the original 106 was a cheap way into syntheses but it had a classic sound. So, yes it's limited compared to other synths today. But it still sounds great ergo it's a great (and now classic) synth.

Softube's version is the best I've heard (and I own the Cloud's version too). So, I'm happy to have a recreation despite any limitations it keeps from the original.

I don't get why you'd want a 106. It's the most boring and simple Roland synth. Unlike other simple synths from that era it doesn't offer any quirks or unique features. Most ppl kept it around for the same reason as i did : it was a nice midi keyboard :)

I guess Softube made this one especially for their modular system.
More BPM please

Return to “Instruments”