Looking for an alternative to Synthmaster One

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRian
1141 posts since 19 Sep, 2017 from Future

Post Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:08 am

For Synthmaster one to work as workhorse you need to config your system right way and to know it ,i spend thousands of hours with it and still explore new stuff.
Last good cheap synth i bought was carbon electra.Cheers :)

KVRian

Topic Starter

1129 posts since 12 Oct, 2012

Post Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:12 am

Damn, ANA 2 is officially the largest synth (not including romplers) I've ever downloaded, 800MB.
Gotta love ArcSyn and its 8MB installation :D
Btw iv'e tried Vaporizer 2 and Wiggle and they both sound absolutely amazing, so underrated, and also CPU usage is very good, maybe one day ill get them but for now i prefer something with a simpler UI, ArcSyn is the best contender so far, i just wish it had some visualization of the modulations.

KVRist
256 posts since 17 Dec, 2016 from Germany

Post Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:27 pm

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:45 pm

nevis wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:27 pm
How about free?
https://oceanswift.net/enterprise/
Tried it last week, buggy af, most of the text is not showing and its impossible to navigate and do sound design as it is right now.

KVRian
1049 posts since 21 Apr, 2017 from Bahia, Brazil

Post Fri Apr 30, 2021 2:00 pm

ferez21 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:12 am
Damn, ANA 2 is officially the largest synth (not including romplers) I've ever downloaded, 800MB.
Btw iv'e tried Vaporizer 2 and Wiggle and they both sound absolutely amazing, so underrated, and also CPU usage is very good, maybe one day ill get them but for now i prefer something with a simpler UI, ArcSyn is the best contender so far, i just wish it had some visualization of the modulations.

Yeah I recently downloaded an update.... couldn't believe it. It must be the WT and sample content.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://www.scrubbingmonkeys.com/

KVRist
279 posts since 10 Oct, 2018

Post Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:02 pm

ferez21 wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:12 am
Hard to blame ANA cause it’s a lot of sample content for the sample oscs (plus wavetables, though must be a fraction of the samples). I think Massive X is bigger than that, still lacking the sample oscs.
No sample feature in ArcSyn, so there are pros and cons in the 8MB size.

And yes, I think ANA is great for one-synth approach cause it (while not being a perfect emulation) can bring any modern or vintage flavor out of the box. Can be moogish, can be junish, or a synth on it’s own - and flavor is more than enough for most projects.
I’ve seen several times that people consider it a “synthwave machine”, and I think it’s pretty valid. The synthwave soundset is amazing to me. I learned to play the Crocket theme from the chord function in that set.
Best bang for a buck.
Last edited by Dencheg on Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weapons of choice (subject to change):
Godin Redline, Kuassa, Fuse Audio, Audiority, Roland A-500pro, Dune, Dagger, ANA, GForce, Reaper

KVRian
514 posts since 30 Apr, 2018

Post Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:12 pm

Not cheap but Dune 3 sounds amazing and it’s very CPU efficient.

KVRAF
2411 posts since 17 Sep, 2016

Post Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:23 pm

Dune3 is a very good alternative to SM One if you happen to have an extra $122 sitting around in your synth budget.
Windows10; plugins from AAS, Ableton, AIR, Ample, Arturia, Cakewalk, Cherry, DiscoDSP, Fathom, IKM, Initial, iZotope, KV331, NI, PluginGuru, PreSonus, Surge, TAL, Tone2, Toontrack, Tracktion, u-he, UJAM, UVI, Vital, Waves, XLN ...

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Fri Apr 30, 2021 5:28 pm

Dune CM used to be my go-to for years, but as much as would love to have Dune 3 is definitely way above my budget.
On the other hand, Dune 2 is sometimes being sold for ~50$ here, is it worth it?
One thingvi didnt like about the original Dune is the mod matrix, and these days i am spoiled by synths with drag-n-drop modulations and visualization of these modulations.

KVRian
1141 posts since 19 Sep, 2017 from Future

Post Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:29 pm

Best free synths to start are Vital and Synth1,but agree that Wiggle AND Loom II r super cool ad underrated.
I still haven't spend more than 10 min with them, but the sound is top noch.
Comparing synths sound somehow i put Sylenth1 near SM1 - ANA,DUNE,SERUM,VITAL so on have different character,more digital to me,missing that sweet analog dirtiness.
I was very nice surprised with Xpand2 very nice and useful synth or rompler,not sure what it is actually.
Cheers :)

KVRian
1423 posts since 10 Jul, 2008 from Orbit Sol III

Post Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:10 pm

How about Omnisphere?

Totally joking! but i didn't see you mention if you tried Vital?
gadgets an gizmos...make noise
https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Sat May 01, 2021 1:56 am

CrystalWizard wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:10 pm
How about Omnisphere?

I gonna demo it but is Vital really as good as commercial synths?
How would you rate the raw sound quality?

KVRist
43 posts since 20 Nov, 2013

Post Sat May 01, 2021 3:49 am

ferez21 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:56 am
You should demo it. I think Vital is better than quite a few "commercial" synths out there.
Just looked at your "attributes" list and Vital fits pretty much everything. Some people are complaining about CPU usage. Maybe this depends on everyone's system, DAW and so on. I have SM One as well, and Vital isn't as efficient for sure. But here on my system Vital is still pretty lightweight compared to other synths. I have ANA2 which has been mentioned before and I really like it. But ANA is very CPU hungry on certain patches here.
One thing maybe worth mentioning. Vital doesn't come with an Arp/Sequencer in contrast to SM One, ANA2 or let's say Hive. But I don't know if that's important to you.

Just demo Vital, it fits at least those points from your list:
* relatively cheap
* user friendly interface
* has visual representations of modulations (and drag-n-drop style modulation...)
* optional: has some sort of wavetable capability

As for the sound, to my taste the overall sound is too digital at times.
But to me this is a very individual attribute that everyone needs to decide on its' own.
Just check it out and hear yourself :phones:

KVRAF
2035 posts since 8 Dec, 2008 from Global Cowboy

Post Sat May 01, 2021 5:31 am

mesamask wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 3:49 am
Just demo Vital, it fits at least those points from your list:
* optional: has some sort of wavetable capability
:lol:
Just a bit :wink:
Last edited by digitalboytn on Sat May 01, 2021 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sorry - I don't use auto-tune....

KVRAF
18752 posts since 3 Feb, 2005 from in the wilds

Post Sat May 01, 2021 5:31 am

ferez21 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:56 am
CrystalWizard wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:10 pm
How about Omnisphere?

I would say overall Vital is in the same league as commercial synths. Not as polished as some, but then it is new and some synths have been around far longer.

The Vital UI is excellent in terms of workflow and the modulation is superb. As good or better than any synth out there.

Sound wise, it is very flexible, sounds very good. Especially the wavetables. The filters to me are only so so. The thing with a wavetable synth though, is that filters are less important than a classic VA synth with Square, Saw, Triangle as the Osc options. So the filters to me are functional.

I don't collect VST synths and I uninstall stuff I am not really using. I use Hive more, but Vital has made it to my short list of essential synths.
Last edited by pdxindy on Sat May 01, 2021 5:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Instruments”