One Synth Challenge #147: Any Full Bucket Music Synth Challenge (schiing Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRian
1168 posts since 9 Jan, 2013 from morf

Post Thu May 20, 2021 12:51 am

gigue07 wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 12:49 am
:help: I have an issue: Sidechaining to create pumping effect, is this allowed or grey area? Please advise. Thanks.
Cheers.
I believe it’s ok
Some people use tal filter to do the same thing as compressor :)
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

KVRAF
1704 posts since 7 Mar, 2014

Post Thu May 20, 2021 5:22 am

Sidechaining is usually OK. Most of the folk here sidechain kick and bass! I guess if you were doing something esoteric like driving a notch filter band via sidechain input, that might alter the sound from the synth bigtime, which is "frowned upon" :(

Otherwise, pump away!

dB

KVRist
136 posts since 11 Sep, 2007

Post Thu May 20, 2021 9:06 am

:tu: Eauson and Doctorbob, thanks for the advise.
Cheers.

KVRist
160 posts since 8 Dec, 2015

Post Thu May 20, 2021 12:03 pm

Hi folks,
we all know that, when it comes to synths, we talk technically: wave-shapes, frequencies, levels etc.
That made me want to get a more "musical speaking" synth: soft/percussive, airy, wooden, glassy ...
Thankfully Björn of fullbucket.de liked the idea and programmed this little MPS (Musical Parameter Synth). Well, he insisted on "MPS" where I had named it "Mupas" ...

I hadn't planned to compete this time, but as "any fullbucket" is allowed, I felt, that I should present a colorful track with "my baby" MPS.
I used 12 instances of MPS plus Classic Delay (2x), Abstract Chamber Reverb (1x), Widener (2x), LoudMax (2x) and MuLab's integrated EQ (3x) and M/S (3x). Finally 1x M-Horse in the Master-channel.

So, MPS again, but this time "Magic Polka Surprise" is my submission. Hope you like it! (And I hope you vote "5" ....)
https://soundcloud.com/user-935392739/m ... kasurprise

User avatar
KVRian
778 posts since 25 May, 2010 from Hessisch Uganda, Germany

Post Fri May 21, 2021 4:12 am

Full Bucket wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 1:55 am
Hi folks,

since I do not own Logic I have to guess what might be the root cause of the issue. Thus I prepared a special ModulAir version 1.2.3.X. It is AU only so no need to download it if you are using the VST.

>>> Get v.1.2.3.X here! <<<

Plz let me know if it solves the problem.

Cheers, Björn
Any feedback on this?

User avatar
KVRer
8 posts since 2 May, 2021

Post Sat May 22, 2021 1:43 am

Woo hoo! So here’s my first ever entry for the One Synth Challenge. It’s called ‘Carousel’ and I had a lot of fun making it with MPS. I pretty much played around with as many parameters as I could find, but hopefully there’s a good balance between technicality and musicality. Oh, and fun too! :D

I had three concept ideas for the track, two of them worked well…ish, and one kinda failed but there’s vestigial remnants of it in the main track (hence the WAV bounce).

Hope you all like it, hope I’ve followed the rules, and I hope I’ve managed to upload it in the right formats, naming conventions, etc. Enjoy! :D

https://soundcloud.com/bruce-rimell/carousel

Track Title: Carousel (136bpm, 4min 00sec)
DAW: FL Studio 20.7.3
Full Bucket Synth: MPS (Total of 21 instances)

Main Project VSTs: 16 instances of MPS + 2 instances of DustArp (MIDI Tool)
Main Project Effects: 5 x Fruity Reeverb + 1 x Fruity Parametric EQ 2 + 1 x Fruity Limiter (DAW Native Effects). Also 5 x Valhalla Supermassive.
Main Project Other: 1 x WAV file Bounce (‘Carousel Melody 1.wav’ from Carousel Melody 1 Project)

Carousel Melody 1 Project: 5 instances of MPS -> ‘Carousel Melody 1.wav’ exported.
Carousel Melody 1 Effects: 1 x Fruity Reeverb + 1x Fruity Parametric EQ 2 + 1 x Fruity Compressor (DAW Native Effects)
Bandcamp: brucerimell.bandcamp.com
Soundcloud: soundcloud.com/bruce-rimell
Visual Art: www.biroz.net

User avatar
KVRist
498 posts since 27 Oct, 2015

Post Sat May 22, 2021 2:00 am

brucerimell wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 1:43 am
Woo hoo! So here’s my first ever entry for the One Synth Challenge.
Welcome to OSC, Bruce!

User avatar
KVRer
8 posts since 2 May, 2021

Post Sat May 22, 2021 2:13 am

schiing wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 2:00 am
Welcome to OSC, Bruce!
Thanks! :D
Bandcamp: brucerimell.bandcamp.com
Soundcloud: soundcloud.com/bruce-rimell
Visual Art: www.biroz.net

User avatar
KVRist
56 posts since 21 Mar, 2016

Post Sat May 22, 2021 12:20 pm

So this question may seem a little weird, but what's the stance on tuning plugins? The rules are a little hazy in that area. They don't change the nature of the sound, they just nudge the pitch.

KVRian
1168 posts since 9 Jan, 2013 from morf

Post Sat May 22, 2021 1:01 pm

WYG_E wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 12:20 pm
So this question may seem a little weird, but what's the stance on tuning plugins? The rules are a little hazy in that area. They don't change the nature of the sound, they just nudge the pitch.
You can tune the pitch using the synth, most have that option, either MW or by fine tune or + or -
If you mean something like reatune then no, not allowed
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

User avatar
KVRist
56 posts since 21 Mar, 2016

Post Sat May 22, 2021 1:50 pm

Eauson wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 1:01 pm
WYG_E wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 12:20 pm
So this question may seem a little weird, but what's the stance on tuning plugins? The rules are a little hazy in that area. They don't change the nature of the sound, they just nudge the pitch.
You can tune the pitch using the synth, most have that option, either MW or by fine tune or + or -
If you mean something like reatune then no, not allowed
I don't use Reaper, so I was thinking GSnap. Of course I can tune within the synth, but it's rather finicky. I was mostly trying to save myself some time and trouble. But if it's a no, I'll do it the hard way.

What's the thinking behind not allowing it? It seems a little arbitrary, unless there's something I'm missing.

Edit:
Thinking about it, it seems like any other effect that should be fine if it's not abused but used in a subtle way. On the other hand, I guess I can see how most of the time there wouldn't be a need or reason to use it. (Unless you're trying something weird, like me.) So it's simpler just to say no.

KVRian
1168 posts since 9 Jan, 2013 from morf

Post Sat May 22, 2021 2:17 pm

WYG_E wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 1:50 pm
Eauson wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 1:01 pm
WYG_E wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 12:20 pm
So this question may seem a little weird, but what's the stance on tuning plugins? The rules are a little hazy in that area. They don't change the nature of the sound, they just nudge the pitch.
You can tune the pitch using the synth, most have that option, either MW or by fine tune or + or -
If you mean something like reatune then no, not allowed
I don't use Reaper, so I was thinking GSnap. Of course I can tune within the synth, but it's rather finicky. I was mostly trying to save myself some time and trouble. But if it's a no, I'll do it the hard way.

What's the thinking behind not allowing it? It seems a little arbitrary, unless there's something I'm missing.

Edit:
Thinking about it, it seems like any other effect that should be fine if it's not abused but used in a subtle way. On the other hand, I guess I can see how most of the time there wouldn't be a need or reason to use it. (Unless you're trying something weird, like me.) So it's simpler just to say no.
I get what your saying, another way is just use another instance with the pitch shift your looking for & interchange between the 2
I know it’s a bit more time consuming, although it’s normally okay to use a small amount of an effect as long as it doesn’t alter the synth sound, there are ways around such limitations, which can show you new ways to create :)
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

User avatar
KVRist
56 posts since 21 Mar, 2016

Post Sat May 22, 2021 4:34 pm

Eauson wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 2:17 pm
which can show you new ways to create :)
Ultimately, that's what I was trying to do. :tu:

User avatar
KVRAF
5836 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Sun May 23, 2021 4:17 am

WYG_E wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 12:20 pm
So this question may seem a little weird, but what's the stance on tuning plugins? The rules are a little hazy in that area. They don't change the nature of the sound, they just nudge the pitch.

Microtuning should be no problem if achieved with pitch bend. Most tuning aids do exactly that. Pitch shifting is not allowed but for tuning its not necessary at all...
The tuning aid has to be free or be part of your DAW like the one in Bitwig...

User avatar
KVRian
778 posts since 25 May, 2010 from Hessisch Uganda, Germany

Post Sun May 23, 2021 4:31 am

Many of my plug-ins feature micro tuning anyway.

Return to “Instruments”