Is Omnisphere 2 still worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dark and Light Omnisphere Explorer - Omnisphere 2 Presets

Yep. There are some sounds which are super fat, but generally have no problem of using fex. all sounds from Omnisphere on some production. No problem to mix. In fact our "After Before" EP is only Omnisphere (well there is Synthmaster player in one background fx sound but thats it). Is it a bad mix? I dont think so? Do I want to mix it again after acquiring VSX? Yes :lol: -- but anyway, really depends on patch if its fat, bloated, mid heavy etc. In my opinion/experience.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

I'm still using Omni 1, which I amazingly got working on my M1 Mini. I balked at the upgrade price years ago. There are too many presets that are completely useless to me, and I'm not the type to deep dive and setup my own patches. So, for me, as long as Omni 1 works, I won't consider upgrading €250. when it doesn't, I won't likely upgrade.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

just as a generality, is all I'm saying. some of it is so huge you're going to have to consider it before all else. I use things all the time where there is a dominant, vast sound design to suit things to. Of course some of it is going to be rather more basic. Trilian, I'm going to go in and start turning things down to make it fit my idea of the mix. 'no problem to mix' is never really true afaic, except that I create templates so that it will be true for the project, more or less.
Just saying, if you like that browner kind of saturation, that's Spectrasonic's thing. I don't consider their UX very up-to-date at all.

noiseboyuk wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:19 pm Some of the comments here, um, stretch credulity a tad. The entire that an entire synth "does not fit well into a mix" seems hyperbolic at best.
a lot of it designed to where this is your mix.
Come on, something that takes up a whole stereo field, intentionally to sound big as feck is something to be concerned with in the design of a mix.

What mix? Why? Around here this is a thing, 'fits well into a mix'. it might well not, depending on the mix. :roll:

the other offender here may have 'a mix' particularly, or a sound design aesthetic or sensibilities, or templates the thing generally does not suit well, IDK. To me it's similar to that oh-so-brown room Spitfire used to use for everything, it isn't going to fit my mixing aethetic or taste, to the point it's axiomatic, for me (having tried it) and I don't buy it. I don't see a problem in pointing out it sounds big typically and I sense an aesthetic in the design. Some will buy it from that advice, some might be examining it differently.

Ylativ wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:35 am I think Omnisphere is uncomfortable, heavy and does not fit well into the mix .. Alchemy, in my opinion, is out of competition, I would gladly choose Alchemy, if it were not for the proprietary Logic. Since I am on a PC, in fact I am a user of Ni Komplete.
You won't believe it it still works on Win 10, I installed and use it at the moment simply amazing!

Ominisphere is definitely worth getting, so many inspirational sounds but they are often 'huge' so you may have to EQ carve out stuff from the Omnisphere preset or other instruments depending on where you want the focus to lie.

If I were to judge value by how many of my projects it's in, it would be worth zero. Fun to play with,but haven't found anything that really fits for me. Maybe I've been too lazy and spend too much time doing irrelevant things.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

Nice to read various experiences and opinions. Looking back at the amount of money I spent on getting synths on synths for cheap, it would have been much better if I had not done that and got Omnisphere 2 long ago, just like how I got into Komplete and have been using parts of it in every track I make. It's the tons of diverse presets that make Omnisphere 2 so good in my opinion. Of course, the soundsources, layering aspects, sound match and arpeggiator are excellent too.

One thing I almost always do is to go through the FX on the patch I've chosen to use as a starting point. Disable that reverb first if I can make it outside the box I can handle it much better. Same for some of the delay's though retroradio and tapedelay are quite meaty, some times they just mess up the sound when played like I want to..

So in short, I strip most of them away.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

legendCNCD wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:13 pm One thing I almost always do is to go through the FX on the patch I've chosen to use as a starting point. Disable that reverb first if I can make it outside the box I can handle it much better. Same for some of the delay's though retroradio and tapedelay are quite meaty, some times they just mess up the sound when played like I want to..

So in short, I strip most of them away.
Yes, exactly what I also like to do typically with any synth. Often presets are heavily loaded with effects and it is kinda distracting. Sometimes it's the effects that we are actually hearing. :lol:

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:44 pmYes, exactly what I also like to do typically with any synth. Often presets are heavily loaded with effects and it is kinda distracting. Sometimes it's the effects that we are actually hearing. :lol:
Indeed, this is quite a well known phenomenon. Another synth I find often turning off effects is Repro 1 / 5. But it's not unethical or "cheating" to embrace effects or anything, that's just daft. The effects can be absolutely gorgeous, and really make the synth overall. I love the wavefolder effect in Repro 1, that is such a unique sound.

Anyway, thinning out effects is really one of those core skills producers should know about. I just have a hunch that a lot of the "doesn't sit in a mix" comments actually say something about their producing skills more than it does Omni.
http://www.guyrowland.co.uk
http://www.sound-on-screen.com
W10, i7 7820X, 64gb RAM, RME Babyface, 1050ti, PT 2023 Ultimate, Cubase Pro 13
Macbook Air M2 OSX 10.15

noiseboyuk wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:58 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:44 pmYes, exactly what I also like to do typically with any synth. Often presets are heavily loaded with effects and it is kinda distracting. Sometimes it's the effects that we are actually hearing. :lol:
Indeed, this is quite a well known phenomenon. Another synth I find often turning off effects is Repro 1 / 5. But it's not unethical or "cheating" to embrace effects or anything, that's just daft. The effects can be absolutely gorgeous, and really make the synth overall. I love the wavefolder effect in Repro 1, that is such a unique sound.

Anyway, thinning out effects is really one of those core skills producers should know about. I just have a hunch that a lot of the "doesn't sit in a mix" comments actually say something about their producing skills more than it does Omni.
Yes, I agree. Sometimes the effects actually make the preset inspiring enough to be a starting idea of a track and then it often becomes the signature sound. So yes, it always depends on the particular context and it's up to us how we want to fit it in the mix. At times it can be difficult for sure, but it can be considered as one of those mixing challenges or perhaps a production issue where the sound selection itself was not correct. I am no expert and it happens to me quite often.

With Omnisphere can you specifically customize and manage the massive library?

I realize the massive library is one of its strengths, but I'm also quite sure I won't be interested in all the presets....

So is there a way to select which ones to download? Or at least a way to delete some after downloading?
Yo Leroy!

Bombadil wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:20 pm I'm still using Omni 1, which I amazingly got working on my M1 Mini. I balked at the upgrade price years ago. There are too many presets that are completely useless to me, and I'm not the type to deep dive and setup my own patches. So, for me, as long as Omni 1 works, I won't consider upgrading €250. when it doesn't, I won't likely upgrade.
I don't think it's presets that are the value in the V2 upgrade. For one thing there are a ton more sound sources, both sampled and also a huge library of wavetables for the new wavetable osc. The extended (ie. actually useful) range of the FM and RM is very important for sound design too. Of course there is 4 layers now instead of 2 and you can actually route all of them to a single filter, whereas you couldn't even route both layers to a single filter in V1. Plus the locking functins allow for some cool variations of existing sounds. New effects too etc. But the biggest thing is certainly the granular improvements and the import of your own wavefiles. So most of the improvements for V2 is all about sound design, whereas that was much more limited in V1.

But the thing is, even if you're not the type to roll your own presets from scratch, you can come up with endless variations from the searching similar sounds and locking certain things while switching presets. Or just swapping out sound sources and flipping no granular. There's a lot there that takes very little effort to make something new. That's something I like about it.

BoogerSnotOrchestra wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:16 pm With Omnisphere can you specifically customize and manage the massive library?

I realize the massive library is one of its strengths, but I'm also quite sure I won't be interested in all the presets....

So is there a way to select which ones to download? Or at least a way to delete some after downloading?
Unfortunately no, and it's my biggest gripe with Omnisphere. I have a Surface Pro that I would like to have Omnisphere on with only a few libraries because I don't have the space for everything. If it doesn't have the full library installed, you can use anything. One of the many stupid decisions they've made.

Return to “Instruments”