Is Omnisphere 2 still worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dark and Light Omnisphere Explorer - Omnisphere 2 Presets

cryophonik wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:50 pm Not sure I see Massive X being a direct competitor or alternative to Omnisphere. Those two are different enough that they easily play happily together IMO. :shrug:
Spectrasonics won't be outdone. They're probably polishing up the code on MassiveSphere as we speak. I can't wait for the Jordan Rudess soundset. It'll be massive!

ghettosynth wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:41 pm
perpetual3 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:32 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:54 pm
pdxindy wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:39 pm I think Massive X has a higher sound quality than Omnisphere. Then again, I like audio rate modulations and the MX feedback.
Higher sound quality than Omnisphere? Really? MassiveX? From NI? That MassiveX? Better than Omnisphere?
I would agree that MX has better sound quality than OSphere.
You should probably get a demo of Omnisphere. The thing with Omnisphere is that the sound quality is excellent, everything is high grade. A tool like Omhisphere can make or break your ability to sell a record. I mean, you sell just one record and it will pay for the software. You can't get a better return on your investment than that. You know what I'm saying?
There are plenty of places where you can “break” Omnisphere, especially when using the FM engine. Filter drive doesn’t sound very authentic, etc. If you make sure it stays in it’s lane, it can sound fantastic, of course. It’s just that “it’s lane” is pretty narrow as these things go, but it makes up for it with a wide and diverse sample and wavetable collection.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

ghettosynth wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:54 pm They're probably polishing up the code on MassiveSphere as we speak.
Yayyyyyy, can't wait until they release it..... in 2037!
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

Thank you again for all the new comments and suggestions, much appreciated.

@zerocrossing and @starflakeprj: The choice would have been simpler if I did not buy all that I currently own. Not saying I don't like them, but considering my workflow, Omnisphere 2 is the swiss army knife that would have been great for me.

@pdxindy: Yes, that's the list of what I currently own, and probably has more presets than I would ever need. I see Omnisphere 2 as a potential go-to plugin for its vast preset library to find any kind of sound instantly. As mentioned above, it could suit my workflow well, especially since I don't design presets from scratch. However, I feel that I should let go some of the stuff that I already have, not just to use that money towards Omnisphere 2, but to also reduce the clutter and free my mind. Since there is no demo of Omnisphere and it is not cheap, I am a bit reluctant.

@Examigan and @cryophonik: Yeah, it's great that these point updates are free and are packed with many features. While Omnisphere 3 thought might be a shot in the dark, the only reason I think of it is because the major upgrade price is quite high - $249 for O1 to O2. I searched for the grace period and read in some old articles that they offered a duration of 8 months or so. I don't want to end up in a situation where I get O2 and miss out on the free major upgrade. But looking at the current circumstances, I also doubt if Spectrasonics will release any major upgrade in near future.

@BBFG#: Yes, that's what I need to do - to sell of stuff I am not using much. I think I can generate some decent cash this way to buy Omnisphere 2. Tax/VAT is not a concern for me because it is mostly not applicable from where I am ordering music software.

I thought about Halion 6, but since I have Kontakt and pretty much used to it, I don't want one more sampler. I am not a Cubase user either, and the Steinberg licensing system right now is something I am not a fan of - I know, it is going to change, but who knows what the next thing will be.

I somehow don't like the sound of Tone2 synths. I mean they are great, but not suitable for my music. Not a fan of Rob Papen synths either - don't like their GUIs that much.

I have owned u-he synths and while I don't have any problem with their sound, I did not gel with them at all and sold them almost immediately. I find Massive X and Super 8 much better and they are already a part of my Komplete bundle.

Sorry, but would definitely consider Omnisphere 2 over all these.

@gnu23: Appreciate the analogy. Spectrasonics are perfectionist and they are probably the least sensitive company when it comes to doing sales.

Thanks again everyone for this healthy discussion. :)
Last edited by LoveEnigma18 on Wed May 05, 2021 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

What types of instruments is Omnisphere 2 best known for? I can safely assume pads/atmospheric stuff, but what else does it really excel at? Does it also have acoustic instruments?

If I remember correctly, they used to have audio demos on their website earlier, but with Omnisphere 2 I think they removed that tab. I listened to some stuff on YouTube, but it is not as great as listening to a full playlist on official website - just like they have for Stylus RMX. They do have an instruments list, but it does not help a lot.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:32 pm What types of instruments is Omnisphere 2 best known for? I can safely assume pads/atmospheric stuff, but what else does it really excel at? Does it also have acoustic instruments?
It definitely excels at pads, atmospheric, and cinematic stuff, but also everything from classic 70s/80s sounds, plucks, leads, bells/chimes, etc. Honestly, between the synth capabilities and included sample library, it has a huge sweet spot. When I make my own sounds, I tend to use it as more of a conventional synth without the sample library, but then will sometimes add a subtle variation by blending in a sample-based sound on Layer B. I owned Atmosphere and Trilian before buying Omni, and have access to all those sounds directly inside Omni. So, it's great for electric, acoustic, and synth basses if you already have Trilian. I also love Omnisphere's arp - it's probably my favorite on-board arp of any synth I've ever owned. Add to that the awesome mod matrix, the multi-stage custom envelopes, etc.

There are acoustic instruments in both the presets and sample library, but I wouldn't consider them to be on par with something like Kontakt or similar samplers, which excel at "real" instruments. Omni's are meant more to be used for creative sound design (although, I don't think I've ever actually tried to get realism from it). Keyscape (I don't have it...yet) is reportedly great for realistic acoustic pianos and works as an Omnisphere add-in, but is also an additional cost.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

ghettosynth wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:41 pm
perpetual3 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 5:32 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:54 pm
pdxindy wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:39 pm I think Massive X has a higher sound quality than Omnisphere. Then again, I like audio rate modulations and the MX feedback.
Higher sound quality than Omnisphere? Really? MassiveX? From NI? That MassiveX? Better than Omnisphere?
I would agree that MX has better sound quality than OSphere.
You should probably get a demo of Omnisphere. The thing with Omnisphere is that the sound quality is excellent, everything is high grade. A tool like Omhisphere can make or break your ability to sell a record. I mean, you sell just one record and it will pay for the software. You can't get a better return on your investment than that. You know what I'm saying?
Absolutely :hihi:

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:32 pm What types of instruments is Omnisphere 2 best known for? I can safely assume pads/atmospheric stuff, but what else does it really excel at? Does it also have acoustic instruments?

If I remember correctly, they used to have audio demos on their website earlier, but with Omnisphere 2 I think they removed that tab. I listened to some stuff on YouTube, but it is not as great as listening to a full playlist on official website - just like they have for Stylus RMX. They do have an instruments list, but it does not help a lot.

I thought you just didn't see the obvious audio tab so I went looking..
Wow they really removed it?
Damn.

What I think it excels at is plucky sounds like Kalimbas, Bells and Vibes etc....Any acoustic or hybrid of those I go to Omnisphere first.
But even more than the plucky sounds, anything tonally rhythmic sounds..... Omnisphere is my first call for those too.....

rsp
sound sculptist

My answer is: yes. Not only does it have a super powerful synth engine and the best library (by far) that ships with any plugin, but you can very quickly generate new, interesting, and unique sounds just by playing with the Orb feature. It integrates with hardware controllers in a clever way that turns it into a (pretty much) knob-per-function synth that matches whatever you're using. I can get lost for hours just playing with the sounds in a way that very few other synths inspire me to do.
Stormchild

nope.
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:22 pm @pdxindy: Yes, that's the list of what I currently own, and probably has more presets than I would ever need. I see Omnisphere 2 as a potential go-to plugin for its vast preset library to find any kind of sound instantly. As mentioned above, it could suit my workflow well, especially since I don't design presets from scratch. However, I feel that I should let go some of the stuff that I already have, not just to use that money towards Omnisphere 2, but to also reduce the clutter and free my mind. Since there is no demo of Omnisphere and it is not cheap, I am a bit reluctant.
Don't sell Komplete. I would say it is considerably more diverse than Omnisphere. Komplete has Massive X, FM8, Monark, Prism, Reaktor Blocks all which do lots of sounds Omni cannot. Plus Komplete also has a bunch of FX which can be used with any synth. The V collection also has plenty of unique tones too.

If you just got the desire to buy something, then go ahead, but what you already have covers every possible use. More than Omnisphere does.

My suggestion... make music with what you got and save your money, cause you have lots of world class synthesis already in hand. There is nothing 'better' out there than what you got.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:22 pmI see Omnisphere 2 as a potential go-to plugin for its vast preset library to find any kind of sound instantly. As mentioned above, it could suit my workflow well, especially since I don't design presets from scratch.
Well, that’s one thing that I feel strongly about, and that’s that Spectrasonics packs it’s instruments full of amazingly good presets in many styles and types. Most of the time I feel like dialing in my own preset or using something I made in my own library, but sometimes I just like to sit down and randomly try out presets and mess with them. It’s like meditation... maybe like shopping or something. Very relaxing. Usually by the 4th or 5th preset I find something inspirational and I’m off jamming. I don’t know if you know this, but the owner of Spectrasonics used to work for Roland, and is responsible for many of it’s classic patches and ROM libraries.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

pdxindy wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 1:11 am
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:22 pm @pdxindy: Yes, that's the list of what I currently own, and probably has more presets than I would ever need. I see Omnisphere 2 as a potential go-to plugin for its vast preset library to find any kind of sound instantly. As mentioned above, it could suit my workflow well, especially since I don't design presets from scratch. However, I feel that I should let go some of the stuff that I already have, not just to use that money towards Omnisphere 2, but to also reduce the clutter and free my mind. Since there is no demo of Omnisphere and it is not cheap, I am a bit reluctant.
Don't sell Komplete. I would say it is considerably more diverse than Omnisphere. Komplete has Massive X, FM8, Monark, Prism, Reaktor Blocks all which do lots of sounds Omni cannot. Plus Komplete also has a bunch of FX which can be used with any synth. The V collection also has plenty of unique tones too.

If you just got the desire to buy something, then go ahead, but what you already have covers every possible use. More than Omnisphere does.

My suggestion... make music with what you got and save your money, cause you have lots of world class synthesis already in hand. There is nothing 'better' out there than what you got.
Agreed.
Zerocrossing Media

Thank you again guys. :tu:

@cryophonik and @zvenx: Thank you for the information. Good to know that. A good arpeggiator is essential in my opinion. I am definitely not looking for realistic pianos, etc. Komplete/Kontakt covers that really well indeed. As far as Spectrasonics is concerned, the only product I am potentially interested in is Omnisphere 2. Don't see much use of Trilian and Keyscape. I was interested a bit in Stylus RMX, but it is too dated and I have kinda convinced myself that it is not worth it.

@Arashi: Sounds inspiring, although I don't have any hardware synths, so the integration part would not be useful for me at all. Hopefully the automable parameters are exposed to DAW so that I could link them to my Arturia KeyLab MK2? FL Studio user here.

@ghettosynth: Excellent, thanks. This will be very useful in decision making.

@pdxindy: Yes, Komplete is my first love and I will never ever sell it. Each song that I make uses at least one NI product. The V Collection also is excellent and it's not worth selling considering the resale price.

Great advice and I fully agree. I am thinking of this approach: I will give some time for this thought to settle. In the meantime, I will try to do a cleanup and see if I can get rid of some redundant things. Only if I am able to generate a major part of the Omnisphere 2 price, I will consider it buying - as it is mainly about the financial part, else there would be rarely anyone who would not want to get their hands on it at least once. Again, I agree that I have all basis covered, but if I am able to resell some things, why not give it a chance? :)

@zerocrossing: Awesome to know your approach with presets. I hope it is easy enough to tweak presets, because that's what I like to do. :) Yeah, I think I read long ago about EP being a Roland employee. I really appreciate his abilities as a music producer and sound designer; all his demos on the Spectrasonics website are brilliant.

Return to “Instruments”