Is Omnisphere 2 still worth it?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Dark and Light Omnisphere Explorer - Omnisphere 2 Presets

@syntonica: Appreciate your thoughts, thanks.

What I have realized now is that there seem to be only two kinds of people w.r.t Omnisphere: those who absolutely love it and those who absolutely hate it. And the ratio of love to hate seems to be 90 to 10.

The only way out now is to buy it and try it. If it doesn't work, there is the option to resell. Yes, would lose some money, but OTOH if it works, it will be awesome.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:28 pm @syntonica: Appreciate your thoughts, thanks.

What I have realized now is that there seem to be only two kinds of people w.r.t Omnisphere: those who absolutely love it and those who absolutely hate it. And the ratio of love to hate seems to be 90 to 10.

The only way out now is to buy it and try it. If it doesn't work, there is the option to resell. Yes, would lose some money, but OTOH if it works, it will be awesome.
There is another kind of user, which is the smallest percentage. Those that see it as another useful tool to have in the kit. Not worthy of hate or persistent scyophantry we so often see. (Far more than the usual fan status of many other tools.) This strange worship of the plugin is, IMO, the worst thing about the plugin. The plugin is simple enough to use on your own, but God help you if you think the base can help you with a problem. Many are more prone to go on the attack to defend their "precious" in surprisingly irrational ways. Every user group I've joined, I've eventually had to leave because of this. And most of these threads I try to stay clear of because of that. So when you buy, look for that 2-5% and be cognitive on who you tell you own it and why.

Yep it has been a wonderful tool in the kit to have. It does so much and adds so much. There are very cheap and wonderful patches available for it too if you think it doesnt do some 'genre' sounds..

We are mainly combining Omni and Diva, with some added stuff from some other synths. Works perfectly for us.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

BBFG# wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:07 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 4:28 pm @syntonica: Appreciate your thoughts, thanks.

There is another kind of user, which is the smallest percentage. Those that see it as another useful tool to have in the kit. Not worthy of hate or persistent scyophantry we so often see. (Far more than the usual fan status of many other tools.) This strange worship of the plugin is, IMO, the worst thing about the plugin. The plugin is simple enough to use on your own, but God help you if you think the base can help you with a problem. Many are more prone to go on the attack to defend their "precious" in surprisingly irrational ways. Every user group I've joined, I've eventually had to leave because of this. And most of these threads I try to stay clear of because of that. So when you buy, look for that 2-5% and be cognitive on who you tell you own it and why.
Yes^^^
I use OMNI as I need it no more no less.
If I have to hate a VST I think I should be the first in line since I’m the one who bought it in the first place :dog: :hihi:

It’s an amazing piece of software. No demo but there are worse things you can do with $500. OMNI is there when I need it and it’s well worth the investment.

90-10... it make sense.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

I do believe that anyone that actually paid $499.00 (MSRP) for it outright is an easy mark (i.e "a fool and their money" - full pop.)
FMV is closer to the $430.00 mark, but you can get it cheaper.

I'd still suggest waiting to see if the KVR auction is happening in October.

Of course, B&H Photo $440.68 but I paid less long ago.

You wonder why Full price sounds like Fool :hihi:

legendCNCD wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:39 pm We are mainly combining Omni and Diva, with some added stuff from some other synths. Works perfectly for us.
Why do you need Diva if you have Omni? Omni has the Juicy filters, have you tried those?

ghettosynth wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:07 pm
legendCNCD wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:39 pm We are mainly combining Omni and Diva, with some added stuff from some other synths. Works perfectly for us.
Why do you need Diva if you have Omni? Omni has the Juicy filters, have you tried those?
For me, it's a question of "fresh" or "canned".
So yeah, u-He synths always get the prime spot in that regard on my tracks.

BBFG# wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:07 pm

I had to read a few times to understand it. Well I think I did.
I was aware that such things are possible and was a little hesitant to post this topic, especially since it was about Omnisphere on which there have been many debates I would assume. However, all the replies in this topic have really helped me one way or other in answering my questions. Sometimes we know that we want something, but I believe in taking informed decision, especially when possible. Does not mean I cannot decide myself, but forums are meant for that, isn't it? Fortunately, the discussion has been healthy and I am glad you did not have to leave this topic (I appreciate all your suggestions btw). Things can easily turn into arguments when you are biased and start defending things too much, and it is best to avoid that. If the same one thing worked for everyone, life would have been so easy. :)

I don't hate it. It's capable of lots of terrific things! It's amazing value for money for somebody who can afford it and can get along with it. I just want potential buyers to fully understand what they are actually getting

It just isn't for me. I'm more angry that I feel cheated by it, due to lack of demo and bad resale policy. If I bought a new Whizzi 2000 keyboard and used it for awhile, but never gelled with it, I could just throw it up for sale and recoup most of my money.

One other thing about it: the samples are locked into an Omni soup file, so you can't use them elsewhere without resampling. I realize this is one of Omni's biggest assets, but again, it just isn't for me.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

BBFG# wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 5:59 pm I do believe that anyone that actually paid $499.00 (MSRP) for it outright is an easy mark (i.e "a fool and their money" - full pop.)
FMV is closer to the $430.00 mark, but you can get it cheaper.

I'd still suggest waiting to see if the KVR auction is happening in October.
Surely won't pay the MRSP. But where is it available cheaper than $430 brand new?

October seems to be a long wait now :wink: , but do you remember what is the lowest it's been ever sold for? And I think it will be a used license and not a brand new one, right?

I think B&H is the lowest.
But you need go with this link and click on the Tap for Price
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ere_2.html

syntonica wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:15 pm

I don't hate it. It's capable of lots of terrific things! It's amazing value for money for somebody who can afford it and can get along with it. I just want potential buyers to fully understand what they are actually getting

It just isn't for me. I'm more angry that I feel cheated by it, due to lack of demo and bad resale policy. If I bought a new Whizzi 2000 keyboard and used it for awhile, but never gelled with it, I could just throw it up for sale and recoup most of my money.

One other thing about it: the samples are locked into an Omni soup file, so you can't use them elsewhere without resampling. I realize this is one of Omni's biggest assets, but again, it just isn't for me.
I completely get your frustration. Even I don't like the two things you mentioned - no demo and bad resale policy. One reason why I don't want to go with a second hand copy. At least a new copy helps to recover some cost. I fully understand that it is possible I might not like it as much as I think I would, and that's what I am thinking right now. I have no problem about samples being proprietary. I saw an interview of Eric Persing where he mentioned how significant the library is and the artists who have worked hard on it.
Last edited by LoveEnigma18 on Fri May 07, 2021 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

liquidsound wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:26 pm I think B&H is the lowest.
Thanks. If possible, could you please do me a favour and tell me the logged in price if you already have an account there? I don't want to create one, because it clearly says it cannot ship to my country.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:36 pm
liquidsound wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 6:26 pm I think B&H is the lowest.
Thanks. If possible, could you please do me a favour and tell me the logged in price if you already have an account there? I don't want to create one, because it clearly says it cannot ship to my country.
Sorry, I don’t have an account. I went to their store in Manhattan.
No shipping to you country, that sucks!

Return to “Instruments”