Available now: Tone2 Nemesis 2.4

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Nemesis 3

nice

I'm trying the current Nemesis demo and it's a very nice sounding synth. Not sure if I'll be able to work a purchase in to my budget in the near future but it is on my list of synths to buy.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Great synth.

Markus Krause wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 10:57 am I indeed improved it a lot:
"
New features:
The synth can create an unlimited number of new sounds with FILE->'Create random patch'."
THX! :)
I'm glad Tone2 is back!
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

PieBerger wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:04 pm
AnX wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:50 am again, none of that explains what it is....

you coded it, so you can explain the technical details of what neofm is..... can't you?
Since when is any dev under any sort of obligation to explain the technical details of their products to anyone? If you're not satisfied with the (somewhat vague, I'll admit) explanation in the manual, then you can simply demo the product yourself, to decide if the benefits of NeoFM are apparent/significant to/for you. That would be a much better use of your time, rather trying to cause a stir here.
im asking a legitimate question, politely.... and I'm not asking you

AnX wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 2:04 pm
PieBerger wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 12:04 pm
AnX wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:50 am again, none of that explains what it is....

you coded it, so you can explain the technical details of what neofm is..... can't you?
Since when is any dev under any sort of obligation to explain the technical details of their products to anyone? If you're not satisfied with the (somewhat vague, I'll admit) explanation in the manual, then you can simply demo the product yourself, to decide if the benefits of NeoFM are apparent/significant to/for you. That would be a much better use of your time, rather trying to cause a stir here.
im asking a legitimate question, politely.... and I'm not asking you
I too would like to know what neo fm is. Marcus' discription in this topic does not explain it at all.
So I will join in asking politely just what it is and how it actually differs from normal FM or PM.

I can't post a technical description and the tricks of the algorithm in a public forum. Competing companies could copy my innovations. Sadly I made bad experiences with this.

If you're interested in licensing the technology feel free to contact me.

If you're interested to know how it sounds try the free demo.

How does neoFM differ from conventional FM (=PM)?

- It is alias-free
- It is true FM, not PM (what actually nearly all digital synths use and market as 'FM')
- It works well with any kind of waveform, not only with dull ones
Last edited by Markus Krause on Wed May 26, 2021 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnX wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:51 am ... and traditional fm is def not limited to "bell like sounds"
For once you and I agree.

I suspect NeoFM is linear FM plus the tone2 secret sauce of psychoacoustics. Anyone with Nemesis and Bazille or Phase Plant could probably confirm.

Edit: I wanted to come back and edit this because linear FM can alias a lot in the digital world, and its understandable that Markus wouldn't be able to reveal the technique used to reduce/eliminate aliasing.
Last edited by biscuitdough on Wed May 26, 2021 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No. neoFM is not related to a 'sauce of psychoacoustics'

Markus Krause wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:09 pm No. neoFM is not related to a 'sauce of psychoacoustics'
No offense intended. What I meant is that I suspect a mix of linear FM and your proprietary processing. "Secret sauce" is slang for "trade secret" here.

I'll try to give a very raw and simple explanation:

FM stands for Frequency Modulation. In FM, the frequency of a carrier oscillator (waveform) is modulated by another (modulator) oscillator (waveform). This is exactly the same that happens with LFO, except that, when LFO modulates the frequency, it creates an effect called vibrato (because the LFO oscillates in the infrasound region). When the modulator oscillator frequency raises to the audible range, instead of vibrato we get added partials (called sidebands because they appear on each side of the carrier frequency). The frequencies of these partials are related with the frequency of the modulator, while their number and amplitudes are related with the modulation intensity (basically, the amplitude of the modulator).

This is what's called "PURE FM SYNTHESIS" or "REAL FM SYNTHESIS". However, for practical purposes, the synthesis implemented on the DX7 and all subsequent Yamaha FM, modulates PHASE, instead of FREQUENCY (hence it is, in fact, Phase Modulation). In terms of results, and because they were using just sine waves in the DX7, the results were pretty similar. However, when using more complex waveforms, like saw, for example, the results differ.

I think what Markus calls NeoFM is in fact PURE FM (Frequency Modulation), as opposed to PM (Phase Modulation), which is what is usually implemented in the so called FM synths. But I will let Markus confirm or deny that.
Fernando (FMR)

so audio rate modulation?

Sounds closer to what PhasePlant can do

so audio rate modulation?
yes.

fmr wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 3:13 pm I'll try to give a very raw and simple explanation:

FM stands for Frequency Modulation. In FM, the frequency of a carrier oscillator (waveform) is modulated by another (modulator) oscillator (waveform). This is exactly the same that happens with LFO, except that, when LFO modulates the frequency, it creates an effect called vibrato (because the LFO oscillates in the infrasound region). When the modulator oscillator frequency raises to the audible range, instead of vibrato we get added partials (called sidebands because they appear on each side of the carrier frequency). The frequencies of these partials are related with the frequency of the modulator, while their number and amplitudes are related with the modulation intensity (basically, the amplitude of the modulator).

This is what's called "PURE FM SYNTHESIS" or "REAL FM SYNTHESIS". However, for practical purposes, the synthesis implemented on the DX7 and all subsequent Yamaha FM, modulates PHASE, instead of FREQUENCY (hence it is, in fact, Phase Modulation). In terms of results, and because they were using just sine waves in the DX7, the results were pretty similar. However, when using more complex waveforms, like saw, for example, the results differ.

I think what Markus calls NeoFM is in fact PURE FM (Frequency Modulation), as opposed to PM (Phase Modulation), which is what is usually implemented in the so called FM synths. But I will let Markus confirm or deny that.
A pretty good explanation.
DX7 and FM8 and nearly everything that is marketed as 'FM synth' are in fact phase modulation (PM)synths. They do PM instead of FM, since it is more easy to process.
neoFM is like 'real FM synthesis', but without aliasing.

Return to “Instruments”