Algonaut Atlas 2 finally announced. New buyers get 2 for free, 19$ upgrade for others.

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRian
609 posts since 23 Jun, 2004

Post Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:52 am

I renamed all my samples and folders with abbreviations to contain the developer, product name, what kind of sound (HH, etc). That really helped a lot. That way not only are they stored categorically on my drive but they also can be better troubleshooted in the app if they get mis-categorized because I will know exactly what they are.

KVRist
30 posts since 12 May, 2016

Post Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:10 pm

I personally like this a lot more than XO. I think it's a the layout, immediacy, and of course the new step sequencer plus drum kit/sequencer randomisation buttons which are a godsend.

I haven't had issues of samples clumping up, I'm actually preferring the way Atlas 2 randomises samples compared to XO. I was often a bit uninspired by XO sample's selection, but Atlas gives me better results overall.

Feature requests:

1. parameter automation with individual step lengths per parameter
2. Adjusting step length from beginning and not just the end (apologies if this is available, I could only see the end)
3. Velocity editing like Nerve's velocity editing, this is super fast/precise imo, but yes clearing takes extra time.
4. Would love the enlarged sequencer option mentioned above.

KVRAF
7956 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Wed Aug 18, 2021 6:04 am

Despite having XO I finally pulled the trigger and bought A2 - I just prefer it and the developer seems far more active (radio Silence from XLN otter than sales!)

A2 has a lot of advantages over XO and I just find the workflow a lot faster, it's worth 99USD- no sale needed and the bundled content and sequencer patterns are a nice bonus.

Obviously room for improvement, but the sequencer just needs a few tweaks and additions and the requests are all here (and I believe he Dev is listening....) Drum layering would also be nice, and he seems to have hinted that's coming on Twitter :-)
PC, Studio One, BWS, Live (+PUSH2), FL Studio, Renoise, Reason, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths (Summit, Hydrasynth, DM12, P8), A4 + RYTM, MPC Live, Poly Tracker, Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars, Basses, Amps and Pedals

KVRer
20 posts since 17 Jun, 2012

Post Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:10 pm

Bug:
Anyone having issues naming/renaming kits and patterns when saving? I can't see the text when I type to name. It's confusing. I'm on Windows 10 64 bit.

Other than that, amazing plugin.

NTO
KVRist
364 posts since 8 Feb, 2011

Post Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:22 pm

No prob on Win7, but question for context
Do you see 'New <selection type given>' when you click on the to save choice?
Drum kit chosen here:
Atlas Save Dialog.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KVRer
20 posts since 17 Jun, 2012

Post Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:17 pm

NTO wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 4:22 pm
No prob on Win7, but question for context
Do you see 'New <selection type given>' when you click on the to save choice?
Drum kit chosen here:
Atlas Save Dialog.jpg
I do see 'NewDrumKit' but I can't see additional typed text. Also, I can't delete the text in that box. It's just super buggy.

This issue in in Bitwig 3.3 (latest version before 4) but not in Cubase 10. Work fine in Cubase. Sooo maybe a Bitwig bug? Strange.

KVRAF
4453 posts since 4 Aug, 2006 from Helsinki

Post Tue Aug 24, 2021 8:46 pm

I purchased the ver 1 years back when it was launched. You can read my comments and development suggestions e.g. in this thread.

I updated to the ver 2 with high hopes. Unfortunately, out of the frying pan, into the fire with the “innovations” of the ver 2.

None of the defects and handicaps of the previous versions fixed, the UI is even a bigger mess than previously. The core issues, e.g. increased AI neglected, just some vain feature such as the sequencer, added.
Insted of a mediocre sequencer, which a much better I already have severai, adding a real good groove bank, was a much better choice. Etc etc.
Waisted money, so far. Maybe the ver 3…

KVRist
54 posts since 12 Nov, 2019

Post Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:50 pm

You wouldn´t have wasted your money if you were smart enough to demo it for free for 14 days

NTO
KVRist

Post Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:59 pm

cfernn wrote:
Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:17 pm
[snip...]This issue in in Bitwig 3.3 (latest version before 4) but not in Cubase 10. Work fine in Cubase. Sooo maybe a Bitwig bug? Strange.
I don't use Bitwig, but recall an option switch in FL Studio to allow plugins to get keyboard input before the main app. Perhaps something similar in Bitwig 3.3?

KVRist
188 posts since 11 Dec, 2018

Post Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:53 am

Is there a way to filter the map by text (like the search function in XO)?

KVRian
1345 posts since 9 Jan, 2014 from Worldwide

Post Thu Aug 26, 2021 6:58 am

mdstudio wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:53 am
Is there a way to filter the map by text (like the search function in XO)?
I don't think there is and that is really needed!

KVRist
304 posts since 31 May, 2018

Post Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:33 am

maybe noob question
How can I Create Multiple Outputs in Atlas and route them in Reaper?
I don’t get along perfectly with it.
So far I've only been able to send the sound in mono eg on channel 2 by combining channel 2l-2r with the pin connector. otherwise there is no sound (but this way, for example, pan knob doesn't make sense on pad panel either ). I don't really understand how it works.
In Kontakt, for example, I can see if the stereo channel is 1/2 or 3/4...
But here are only channel 1, 2, 3.

NTO
KVRist

Post Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:21 am

I think of it as Atlas output 1,2,3,etc.; Each a default stereo pair. If need to make mono, have to do in daw.

KVRist
304 posts since 31 May, 2018

Post Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:36 am

NTO wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:21 am
I think of it as Atlas output 1,2,3,etc.; Each a default stereo pair. If need to make mono, have to do in daw.
Thanks for the answer.
no, I don't want mono.
But if in the reaper I send eg 3/4 (I think this would be channel 2 if the channels are stereo - like in Kontakt) to the new track 3/4 --> 1/2), then there is no sound. The same is true if I do it manually and even if I made automatic send (multichannel FX routing from FX window). I hear sounds only when I make mono outputs.
I know this is my fault and Reaper routing is not always the easiest :)
But my problem is that I can't find any tutorial or manual for Atlas on this issue (how create multiple outputs in Atlas for different DAWs).

KVRist
138 posts since 13 Jul, 2021

Post Fri Aug 27, 2021 3:50 am

On the surface it seems a good idea to use something like Atlas to organise samples but there are some pitfalls when you put all your eggs in one basket. If something goes wrong you could potentially end up with nothing.
The old school way is less problematic, takes more time but feels safer.
I think I would prefer something like this at a DAW level but so few Daw's have latched onto the potential.

Return to “Instruments”