What are your favorite instrument plugins?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRist
223 posts since 9 Oct, 2020

Post Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:49 pm

jamcat wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:51 am
Pianoteq
Kontakt... though resorting to it feels like defeat.
1) Pianoteq is amazing, I want to buy it at some point, maybe this BF. Not sure how the Felt model sounds next to LABS/Noire or whatever the NI Felt Piano is, but it’s probably great and Pianoteq itself is amazing.
2) If you mean resorting to Kontakt for like a pad or something, yeah, I feel you there. But for some things it’s the only option. I.E. Audio Ollie orchestral libraries, Performance Samples etc. And if you mean you protest the lack of development, I also feel you there.

KVRian
1197 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:09 pm

E_Anderson wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:49 pm
2) If you mean resorting to Kontakt for like a pad or something, yeah, I feel you there. But for some things it’s the only option. I.E. Audio Ollie orchestral libraries, Performance Samples etc. And if you mean you protest the lack of development, I also feel you there.
Both are fine interpretations. But what I really mean is I'm a big proponent of physical modeling (as you might tell from EVERY other VSTi I listed), and it's a big letdown when I have to resort to common, vulgar samples. :lol:
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

GRRRRRRR!
12572 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:12 pm

Possibly a valid concept 20 years ago but these days samples shit all over anything else. The things you can do with them are almost mind-bogglingly creative. I used to think using samples was sort of cheating, or admitting defeat in some way, but once you try a proper Kontakt instrument, you have to change your mind. The one that changed mine was Output's Substance, which is probably the most inspiring and creative instrument I own. I still mostly use V/A type VSTi but whenever I get stuck or want something a bit different, I load up Kontakt and start looking for Substance or one of my Heavyocity instruments to do something wonderful for me. They rarely disappoint.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win10(64), Evo8 | Studio One | JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, GR-8, Thorn, Equator, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

KVRist
223 posts since 9 Oct, 2020

Post Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:06 am

I agree with Bones here, honestly. My goal isn’t to synthesize everything myself, even though I used to think so. Otherwise I would have made my own oboe! I want to write cinematic psychedelic orchestral postrock music and I would die 100x before getting what I wanted if I didn’t use a sample of a violin. It’s satisfying, very much, to capture a sound with synthesis. I love synthesis and I do a lot of sound designing constantly, but I also use sample libraries for the appropriate instruments religiously. Strings, woodwinds, brass, percussion from all over, choirs, 10 kinds of flutes, an electric guitar, acoustic, uke... But also a crapton of synthesis.

Pianoteq is great though! And I think modelling is the future, but we’re not there yet. And I have to spend my time not modelling instruments lol

KVRer
12 posts since 12 Feb, 2021

Post Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:40 pm

TC Powercore Virus :-D

Return to “Instruments”