Why do I seem to like free synths better ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Its not that I do not have commercial synths. I have NI Komplete - SampleTank - etc, but I rarely use those, its nearly always free synths, or very cheap, almost free ones.

And the same goes for DAWs. I have a licence for Cubase Pro and Studio One Pro but spend most of the time in an obsolete DAW "Energyxt 2" which is almost free.

I just seem to feel more at home with free and very cheap stuff. Strange - eh ?

Am I the only one ?
Last edited by dellboy on Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I would rather put more of myself into making good sounds and save money for better things than throw away large amounts of money for non-essentials. There are a few commercial products out there that I would like to buy, but on the whole i prefer the challenge of doing something good with freebies.

Erisian wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:22 pm I would rather put more of myself into making good sounds and save money for better things than throw away large amounts of money for non-essentials. There are a few commercial products out there that I would like to buy, but on the whole i prefer the challenge of doing something good with freebies.
Maybe that's it, the "challenge".

Which ones do you like most?

As for me, I like some freeware, some cheap stuff, and some not to cheap. *shrug*

It's called frugality! :)

maybe it's the simplicity? (most free stuff seems pretty simple, so good quality, ease of use?)

i just use stuff I like the sound of and know inside out.... you can do pretty much anything with a very few plugins.... just learn you craft and you have more time to write songs....

Yes, simplicity.
Why do you care ? If the result suits you, then you got the right tools. Enjoy !
The only thing that matters is what you obtain with them.
If you’re happy with your sound, then you’re covered.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

you are not alone. i use free plugins everyday. don't think i have ever spend more than 100€ on plugins the last 5 years. i almost never spend money on plugins really. last i purchased was Novation V-/BassStation.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Why do I seem to like free synths better ?
I have no explanation for that. :ud:

kvotchin wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:47 pm Which ones do you like most?

As for me, I like some freeware, some cheap stuff, and some not to cheap. *shrug*
Mostly any free analogue emulations of real hardware. PG-8x - Dexed - Klv-64 - OB-Xd - JUN 21 - Synth 1 - oxevst - etc.

Any new suggestions to add are always welcome.

Another vote for simplicity, especially if you like to roll your own patches. Sure, the OmniFalcVengers of the world sound great, but there's just too many notes! Er, parameters!
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

AnX wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:11 pm maybe it's the simplicity? (most free stuff seems pretty simple, so good quality, ease of use?)

i just use stuff I like the sound of and know inside out.... you can do pretty much anything with a very few plugins.... just learn you craft and you have more time to write songs....
Agreed :tu:

I base my opinion of synths on the quality and range of their sound not on their cost.

If you find freeware synths inspiring then by all means use them. I can't remember the last time I used a free synth in a composition.

I have a few freeware synths installed and I'll call them up to have a play once in awhile but they can't really compete with the other synths I prefer.

You can "learn your craft" with any set of plugins, free or top dollar.

But that's just my opinion....use what suites you best is the mantra of the day. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Dirk Diggler wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:04 pm It's called frugality! :)
Nice idea for the next Mortal Kombat.
2262722-animality.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Question:
I just seem to feel more at home with free and very cheap stuff. Strange - eh ?

Because you are stingy and do no like to support developers?
Asking for a friend...

Return to “Instruments”