vurt wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:56 am
what kind of orchestra has a player with a stradivarius in chair one and a 50 quid off amazon in 3rd?
Maybe the 3rd chair accidentally stepped on his Stradivari just before they went on and had to run down to Aldi and get a replacement?.
and yes, i imagine you would hear the difference, unless you had cloth ears full of wax and fluff.
I doubt I'd know which was which in a blind test. I've always assumed that an expensive violin was all about feel and playability and that the difference in tone would require a practiced ear. I sure as hell can't tell the difference between a Les Paul and a Stratocaster (or a $50 electric guitar from Aldi for that matter). They are all just guitars to me.
pixel85 wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:06 am
What orchestra? Today it's a laptop on a stage with Kontakt's Orchestra Library playing midi from a DAW. Why a concert venue and conductor would have to spend money and time on musicians, practice and instruments when nobody can hear a difference anyway.
You forget that governments funnel millions into "the arts" and a lot of that gets hoovered up by orchestras. Kontakt libraries are expensive by comparison. And, honestly, nothing beats a full symphony when it comes to power and majesty. They have evolved over the centuries into a perfect beast. It's a very special experience.
Well, listening through the speakers on my Surface Pro, I didn't even realise when he switched from one to the other. They both sounded close enough to the same that you absolutely wouldn't pick it in the setting of a full symphony orchestra.
chk071 wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:39 am
The unfortunate thing for that kind of argumentation is that noone, I mean, really, NOONE who plays professionally in an orchestra would play a $50 violin from Amazon. No matter if he/she plays it alone or not.
That's not the f**king point, though, is it? The point is that they both sound enough alike that in context it doesn't f**king matter. Ditto for freeware synths. You wankers carry on all the time about shit that just doesn't matter in a mix. Seriously, if it makes such a huge difference, you would have no trouble listening to any piece and picking what instruments were used on each part but I can guarantee that if you went to YouTube or Spotify and listened to any NOVAkILL song, you wouldn't be able to pick even one instrument, except maybe for some Wasp basslines that I tend to rabbit on about now and again.
They are all synths and the range of timbres that show off one synth's character to the extent that you'd know what it was right away is probably about 1% of the use-cases for that instrument. Therefore, 99% of the time any synth will do.
So, yeah, logical? Sensible? Not really. It's no fun and not inspiring to play on an instrument which is neither fun nor inspiring.
Yep, and for me that would be instruments like Hive, DUNE, Serum. Falcon, Omnisphere and all those other over-complicated, over-priced uber-synths.
I just had to think of two people who visit a restaurant, and one gets served a 30 € per kilo steak, and the other one a steak from the discount store, and they both have nothing but praise for the quality of the steak. I wonder what the cook thinks about it.
The cook would think he was a genius because he could make a $5 steak taste as good as a $15 one. But, of course, it would come down to the cut. I know from experience that an $8 T-Bone from Aldi tastes just as good as a $25 T-Bone from the butcher shop down the road. Cook them the same and nobody would know the difference.
Price has never been a guarantee of quality. e.g. Next time you see someone getting out of a Ferrari or a Lamborghini, ask them how many times they've had to have it towed. I've asked half-a-dozen people over the years and the minimum number was three times, the average more like 5. It seems hand built cars just aren't that reliable, even though they cost $300,000 or more.
crickey13 wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:32 am
By support, I also meant updates. I must admit I prefer rock-solid stability to endless updates, updates and support are still kind of cool too though.
I honestly don't care even a little bit about updates. In fact, updates are just as likely to ruin a synth as improve it. e.g. I much prefer the original DUNE to v2 or v3 and I used to use Hive quite a bit until it got updated to v2, now I never touch it. Even the firmware update for Uno Synth that allowed me to access both ADSRs from the front panel annoys me because the added functionality no longer matches the labelling on the chassis.
I guess I might've been misunderstood.
No, not at all. That part of my post was just my general contribution, not a response to anything in particular.
chk071 wrote: ↑
Sun Jun 13, 2021 11:39 am
They sound so frigging good though.
Maybe in 1% of use-cases but not the other 99% of the time. I don't even know which synths have a ZDF filter, can you point me at one or two?