Why do I seem to like free synths better ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

martinjuenke wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:56 pm

Because you are stingy and do no like to support developers?
Could well be.

Glad to see that unlike me you are so benevolent toward your fellow humans.

I have a tendency to buy stuff because its good and I want it.

Sounds like your GAS levels are critically low, dellboy. Don't worry, spending enough time here or on a comparable forum (gearslutzspace, etc.) will cure you.
A well-behaved signature.

JerGoertz wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:48 pm Sounds like your GAS levels are critically low, dellboy. Don't worry, spending enough time here or on a comparable forum (gearslutzspace, etc.) will cure you.
I do read gearthingy forum every day, and am much more likely to buy hardware than software. There are at least two new hardware synths that I will buy that I am waiting for to be released. And I have bought three old vintage hardware synths in the last couple of months, but only ebay benefit from that. And the sellers of course.

I kind of got hooked on Synth1 and Dexed.

JerGoertz wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:48 pm Sounds like your GAS levels are critically low, dellboy. Don't worry, spending enough time here or on a comparable forum (gearslutzspace, etc.) will cure you.
:lol:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

excuse me please wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:05 pm I kind of got hooked on Synth1 and Dexed.
both great synths :tu:
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Dexed is great. Not the prettiest GUI, but it does a fantastic job of emulating a DX7. And here's the thing, I have a licence for NI Fm8, which also does a great job, but nearly always use Dexed.

This is my favourite FREE synth, fantastic for all kinds of sounds. Use it in Ableton all the time, love making stabs with this one, set it to 3 or more voices and open up the midi chord generator in Live, group the rack and start tweaking.. a massive 5 stars for this synth :tu:

https://tal-software.com/products/tal-noisemaker

The OP stated they they already own paid-for synths, but like free ones better - they're not being "stingy".
Some free synths are unique and fill a niche - Full Bucket's stuff comes to mind, especially the FB-3300.
I wouldn't give up my u-he and madrona labs synths, but I also wouldn't give up some of the free stuff.
I don't see any compromises in the free synths I do use.
filmmaker/composer - http://www.brookhinton.com

Because your brain doesn't equate sound to price of products, it equates it to how the neural receptors are stimulated.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

because its like digging for gold and hitting a jackpot
when you find one you truly enjoy using, well you get that with some pay synths too, but its supercool when its free :idea:
HW SYNTHS [KORG T2EX - AKAI AX80 - YAMAHA SY77 - ENSONIQ VFX]
HW MODULES [OBi M1000 - ROLAND MKS-50 - ROLAND JV880 - KURZ 1000PX]
SW [CHARLATAN - OBXD - OXE - ELEKTRO - MICROTERA - M1 - SURGE - RMiV]
DAW [ENERGY XT2/1U RACK WINXP / MAUDIO 1010LT PCI]

dellboy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:15 pmI just seem to feel more at home with free and very cheap stuff.
The paid synths & DAWs you mention are very complex.
Free software is simpler and thus easier to use.
Vintage hardware you buy is also simpler.
Therefore you feel more at home.
So $pend on simple synths.
Gasology 101
Last edited by Michael L on Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

dellboy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:57 pm
I do read gearthingy forum every day, and am much more likely to buy hardware than software. There are at least two new hardware synths that I will buy that I am waiting for to be released. And I have bought three old vintage hardware synths in the last couple of months, but only ebay benefit from that. And the sellers of course.
Every time I hear about people's yearly hardware expenses it makes me feel better about all the plugins collecting dust on my HD :lol:
A well-behaved signature.

Halonmusic wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:13 pm
excuse me please wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:05 pm I kind of got hooked on Synth1 and Dexed.
both great synths :tu:
Yes and they come with truckloads of presets. Which is a great way to learn synthesis.

Indeed :)

Return to “Instruments”