Why do I seem to like free synths better ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

free ears, stands to reason you'd like the synths

dellboy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:15 pm Why do I seem to like free synths better ?
Because you have cheap taste. People who like synths that cost money have more expensive taste.
"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself... Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable..." ~ H.L. Mencken

dellboy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:15 pmI just seem to feel more at home with free and very cheap stuff.
They have a simple set of parameters.
They have a simple learning curve.
They make simple sounds.
They have a simple GUI.
They're simply easier.
D'oh!
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Borbolactic wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:40 am
dellboy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:15 pm Why do I seem to like free synths better ?
Because you have cheap taste. People who like synths that cost money have more expensive taste.
Maybe there is some truth in what you say. But since I started this thread back in 2021 I have bought most of IK Multimedia's stuff, Arturia V collection 9, Softube 84, and other VSts that I forget. I already had Komplete 11 and loads of other stuff. I also had six months free use of Reason+ (came with hardware) and never used it. Not forgetting that I own Cubase Pro 12, and Studio One Pro 6, Mixcraft Pro 9 with all the associated software that comes with that. And yet I rarely use any of that software. Of late I have been messing around with the free beta XT-S1 and having great fun with it..........
https://www.xtsware.com/?page_id=50

dellboy wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:14 am
Borbolactic wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:40 am
Maybe there is some truth in what you say. But since I started this thread back in 2021 I have bought most of IK Multimedia's stuff, Arturia V collection 9, Softube 84, and other VSts that I forget. I already had Komplete 11 and loads of other stuff. I also had six months free use of Reason+ (came with hardware) and never used it. Not forgetting that I own Cubase Pro 12, and Studio One Pro 6, Mixcraft Pro 9 with all the associated software that comes with that. And yet I rarely use any of that software. Of late I have been messing around with the free beta XT-S1 and having great fun with it..........
https://www.xtsware.com/?page_id=50
Well I was more or less joking in that comment, but cool about your experience since then. Your mention of Arturia reminds me of their Buchla repro whose You Tube demo sounded intriguing. Have you got that in your Arturia collection?

I also have a DAW that comes with a whole bunch of pretty cool stuff-- Harmor and Sculpt for 2 fave examples-- but I never use them because I prefer working with the FLOSS, Ardour DAW.

...Hey, have you heard of the free music notation software-- forget the name-- that can host VSTs, thus making it a kind of DAW? I'd like to try that one day.
"The most dangerous man, to any government, is the man who is able to think things out for himself... Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane and intolerable..." ~ H.L. Mencken

Michael L wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 7:51 am
dellboy wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:15 pmI just seem to feel more at home with free and very cheap stuff.
They make simple sounds.
They have a simple GUI.
They're simply easier.
D'oh!
Uh no ,
-Supercollider (free)
-Tranzistow (pay what you want starting from 50 )
-Surge ( free)
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:28 am
They make simple sounds.
They have a simple GUI.
They're simply easier.
D'oh!
Uh no ,
-Supercollider (free open source software environment and dynamic coding language)
-Tranzistow ( "mandatory donationware" synth from 50EUR to 200EUR )
-Surge ( Paid synth until 2019 )
FTFY

If we want to move the goalposts further we can include C++, Csound, JUCE, Puredata, CDP, OpenMusic, MuseScore, etc.

The exceptions (e.g. Dexed & OB-Xd that model hardware) prove the rule. Some developers (e.g. u-he) have free cutdown versions to give users a taste, and others charge for synths (e.g. Fathom) when they get more features.

Sometimes simple is more down-home:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=deskt ... 8H-67ILaqc
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Borbolactic wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:22 am . Your mention of Arturia reminds me of their Buchla repro whose You Tube demo sounded intriguing. Have you got that in your Arturia collection?
Yes, the Buchla Easel V comes in the package, I have never used it though. I will give it a go later. The only synth I use out of the whole V9 package is the Prophet 5 synth.

because you don't like spending money on music plugs?

Michael L wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:59 am
gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:28 am
They make simple sounds.
They have a simple GUI.
They're simply easier.
D'oh!
Uh no ,
-Supercollider (free open source software environment and dynamic coding language)
-Tranzistow ( "mandatory donationware" synth from 50EUR to 200EUR )
-Surge ( Paid synth until 2019 )
FTFY

If we want to move the goalposts further we can include C++, Csound, JUCE, Puredata, CDP, OpenMusic, MuseScore, etc.

The exceptions (e.g. Dexed & OB-Xd that model hardware) prove the rule. Some developers (e.g. u-he) have free cutdown versions to give users a taste, and others charge for synths (e.g. Fathom) when they get more features.

Sometimes simple is more down-home:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=deskt ... 8H-67ILaqc
Was it about emulations ?
O.K. then let's exclude supercollider since it's a synthesis programming environment .
We still got tranzistow and surge , both of which :
Don't have a simple set of parameters.
don't have a simple learning curve.
don't make simple sounds.
don't have a simple GUI.
Are not simply easier.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:03 pm We still got tranzistow and surge, both of which
were/are not free and thus poor examples of the Topic question:

- Tranzistow is mandatory donationware for 50-200EUR
- Surge was designed as a paid synth, that the developer donated to the FOSS community in 2019.

My simple point is that free synths are generally simple in many ways and that may be the simple reason why someone may like them better.

I can understand why the OP who likes a simple synth better thinks he may be mentally ill, cuz everyone in KVR has OCD about the synth with the most features.
Last edited by Michael L on Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Spring Goose wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:26 am because you don't like spending money on music plugs?
Wish I was like that. :-?
MacMini M2 Pro . 32GB . 2TB . . Renoise……Reason 12……Live 12 Push 2

sQeetz wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 1:39 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:26 am because you don't like spending money on music plugs?
Wish I was like that. :-?
me too! :ud: :ud:

It sounds like you are but you can't help yourself.
Michael L wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 8:59 amThe exceptions (e.g. Dexed & OB-Xd that model hardware) prove the rule. Some developers (e.g. u-he) have free cutdown versions to give users a taste, and others charge for synths (e.g. Fathom) when they get more features.
I think you'll find that most of u-he's free synths are bespoke instruments - Tyrell N6, Podolski, Triple Cheese, etc. - not cut-down versions of commercial products.

Of course, there are also plenty of examples of products that go the other way - commercial synths that "have a simple set of parameters... a simple learning curve... make simple sounds... have a simple GUI". Most vintage emulations would fall into that category, yet they can cost a lot and are very popular.
dellboy wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:17 amThe only synth I use out of the whole V9 package is the Prophet 5 synth.
That's one more than I've ever used. I haven't even bothered installing any of them on my new laptop. Stupid waste of money.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

maybe it is a psychological thing? when you spend money you may be more critical of the purchase but not so when you just get a free product. it may not be that one is better than the other but one may not be scrutinized as much.
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Return to “Instruments”