Dune 3 vs Sylenth 1 vs Seum for techno/trance

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
KVRAF
2532 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:57 am

--
Last edited by Spring Goose on Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
KVRAF
2532 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:58 am

nIGhT-SoN wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:33 am
Spring Goose wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 5:05 pm
nIGhT-SoN wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:01 am

Another benefit of Serum is updates for life, you get Serum 2, 3, 4,.. 100,.. 99999 etc for free.
I like Serum, but seriously the development isn't fast.




Serum 2 was and is in the works. There is nothing specific, how far in development is, but a personal guess maybe next year we'll see it.
Yes i know, but i don't expect to see more than about 3 new Serums in the next 20 years, it ain't like Pigments or Rapid.


Also, somebody said that Nerve 2 has been cancelled, do you know anything about that mate?

User avatar
KVRian
681 posts since 19 Jan, 2008

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:03 am

I don't even care if there will be 1 or 20 versions in 20 years, as long as is as good and innovating as v1 was. Let's be honest, Serum is still one of the best synths out there, you can't say it's just marketing, because there is no marketing. If Serum 2 will be as amazing as Serum 1 is and was on release, that will hold for another 10 years.

If you are after number changes, yeah, Serum is not for you. But from v1.0 till now, Serum changed a lot and Xfer added features that were maybe worthy of Serum 2 in the eyes of other developers.
Spring Goose wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:58 am

Also, somebody said that Nerve 2 has been cancelled, do you know anything about that mate?
As for this, I'm not speaking on the behalf of Xfer Records, nor do I own Nerve, so I don't think I'm the guy to ask. Better send Steve an e-mail, he's really responsive and ready to help.

User avatar
KVRAF
2532 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:06 am

nIGhT-SoN wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:03 am
I don't even care if there will be 1 or 20 versions in 20 years, as long as is as good and innovating as v1 was. Let's be honest, Serum is still one of the best synths out there, you can't say it's just marketing, because there is no marketing. If Serum 2 will be as amazing as Serum 1 is and was on release, that will hold for another 10 years.

If you are after number changes, yeah, Serum is not for you. But from v1.0 till now, Serum changed a lot and Xfer added features that were maybe worthy of Serum 2 in the eyes of other developers.
Spring Goose wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:58 am

Also, somebody said that Nerve 2 has been cancelled, do you know anything about that mate?
As for this, I'm not speaking on the behalf of Xfer Records, nor do I own Nerve, so I don't think I'm the guy to ask. Better send Steve an e-mail, he's really responsive and ready to help.
I'm not worried about it, i was just asking. I like Serum and Nerve, i have both.

User avatar
KVRAF
2532 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:08 am

Serum. It does have marketing, for example magazines like Music Tech and Computer Music saying things like "it's the number one synth for dance music".

KVRAF
29556 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:14 am

nIGhT-SoN wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:49 am
You get lifetime updates with Serum or any other Xfer product, and before buying it, I asked Steve and said to me you'll get for free any future versions.
up.png
There is also a discussion about lifetime updates here - https://xferrecords.com/forums/general/ ... me-updates


Serum 2 wasn't officially announced, but Steve said in different interviews he's working on it. Also, this is from his discord channel:
s2.png

He doesn't want to announce it until it's finished and I think it's because he doesn't wants the pressure to force a release earlier than what he wants it to be, but from his statement Serum 2 will come. When? Nobody knows for sure. The "next year" thing, it's just my assumption/hope, I don't have any insights or info in that regard.
Nice. :tu:
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
KVRian
681 posts since 19 Jan, 2008

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:48 am

Spring Goose wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:08 am
Serum. It does have marketing, for example magazines like Music Tech and Computer Music saying things like "it's the number one synth for dance music".
It's not paid advertisement. Xfer doesn't spend any money on marketing. They are focusing on "mouth to mouth" marketing, people telling to their friends about it. Magazines talk about it because people talk about it, because people want to read about it.

You should check some of Steve's interviews, especially from Ableton's event. You'll understand better what made Serum popular and why it's still talked about.

User avatar
KVRAF
2532 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:02 am

nIGhT-SoN wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:48 am
Spring Goose wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:08 am
Serum. It does have marketing, for example magazines like Music Tech and Computer Music saying things like "it's the number one synth for dance music".
It's not paid advertisement. Xfer doesn't spend any money on marketing. They are focusing on "mouth to mouth" marketing, people telling to their friends about it. Magazines talk about it because people talk about it, because people want to read about it.

You should check some of Steve's interviews, especially from Ableton's event. You'll understand better what made Serum popular and why it's still talked about.
As i've said i like Serum and i have Serum, and Steve seems a nice guy. I thought it's popular because of dubstep and other "bass music". I don't really want to watch Ableton videos cos i don't use Ableton.

User avatar
KVRist
205 posts since 2 Nov, 2017

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:43 am

Just an FYI that Spire and the sound store stuff are on sale as of today.

User avatar
KVRist
205 posts since 2 Nov, 2017

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:44 am

Spring Goose wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:02 am
nIGhT-SoN wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:48 am
You should check some of Steve's interviews, especially from Ableton's event. You'll understand better what made Serum popular and why it's still talked about.
As i've said i like Serum and i have Serum, and Steve seems a nice guy. I thought it's popular because of dubstep and other "bass music". I don't really want to watch Ableton videos cos i don't use Ableton.
You don't want to watch an interview because it was done at an Ableton event and you don't use Ableton?

User avatar
KVRist
209 posts since 11 Apr, 2019 from UK

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:11 am

Spire is: $149 on their website at the moment, for people in the UK its cheaper on pluginboutique
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... pire-Synth

There's bundles there too, there is a bundle on their website too which offers more I think but watch those prices...

I don't think much of it's interface at all, imo it's a pretty shait GUI, and not very easy to get into, but it does have a nice sound, some great presets too (expensive presets though even on sale, and not many good multi preset bundles)

I think I will grab Dune 3 and 2 or 3 their presets when they have a decent sale on.
BitWig, FLStudio, Studio One 5
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

KVRAF
29556 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:15 am

The problem with Spire's GUI is that there was a lot of stuff which was added later, and some stuff which doesn't seem finished. There's also dreadful feature implementations, like the filter drive.

It isn't perfect, like every soft synth. The sound is great though, and it has a very wide spectrum of sounds where it sounds good.

If they'd built in wavetable oscillators, and make it import wavetables, my other soft synths would probably have a hard time getting any use anymore. :D

Almost sounds like I wouldn't like the GUI now, but, I actually quite like it.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
KVRist
209 posts since 11 Apr, 2019 from UK

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:26 am

RE: Spire's GUI
Ye it does suck, now if it was something like Ana2, Hive 2, Zebra, Dune 3 or even Serum, hell yeah. But we don't live in a perfect world.

RE: Serum
It's GUI is quite good, there are some niggly things where you need a magnifying glass to see what your doing (LFO assignment and dials etc) but at least the GUI scales, which helps (a bit)... Eg. PhasePlant's GUI for handling the same stuff is very similar just a 1000% easier to use.

Serum, is a great VST, but it does need some attention to usability:
- Auto search for missing noises, lfos, wavetables etc in their appropriate folders when not found by a preset (amazed this was not programmed in, in v1.0.1 lol)
- Mouse scroll on single column lists on popup menus
- Ability to delete a preset or selection of presets from the preset browser (but I've found the .dat file now, so all I have to do is go through every preset I got 1 or 0 star them, rip them out of the dat file and write some program to delete all those presets automatically for me node/php/py whatever).

Both sound great and you can do some nice things with them, but Spire's GUI, jeeez, I would almost pref to use a command line (MS DOS/Shell/CLI) to change its settings lol...
BitWig, FLStudio, Studio One 5
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

User avatar
KVRAF
2532 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:35 am

jasonekratz wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:44 am
Spring Goose wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:02 am
nIGhT-SoN wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:48 am
You should check some of Steve's interviews, especially from Ableton's event. You'll understand better what made Serum popular and why it's still talked about.
As i've said i like Serum and i have Serum, and Steve seems a nice guy. I thought it's popular because of dubstep and other "bass music". I don't really want to watch Ableton videos cos i don't use Ableton.
You don't want to watch an interview because it was done at an Ableton event and you don't use Ableton?
Yes, why do i need to watch the video? I just watched 5 Steve Duda Nerve videos last week.

User avatar
KVRAF
2532 posts since 31 Jan, 2020

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:36 am

I know about marketing for example Branson/Virgin on BBC News. "Serum is the number one synth for dance music" sounds like a meme.

So why must i watch a video?
Last edited by Spring Goose on Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Instruments”