What's the difference between Hive 2 and other such synths?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Urs wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:45 am
LeVzi wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:39 amWell if something is so good, why do loads of people sell it ?
Maybe it's the BONES-effect. Apparently, he fell out of love after Hive became too complicated for him to handle, and now he's dragging all of KVR on his side.

Or maybe it's just that any thread about "other such synths" deteriorate in spamfests for Youtube videos and arguments about sub genres of EDM and what the word "progressive" means in Trance vs. what it means in pretty much ever other context.
If any KVR thread lasts long enough it will go completely offtopic and Bones will call at least 5 people idiots, that's the normal course of events. :shrug:

My own perception of Hive evolved from "meh" to "nice but redundant" to "one of the best synths available" as both Hive and my own sound design abilities have progressed quite a bit from the first beta release, but I have to admit I finally bought it after I had watched few sound design videos on Dash Glitch's Youtube channel. That's how it often works I think, many people stick to few specific genres and tend to pick synths which seem relevant to these genres - that is the ones which have presets with relevant tags or are endorsed by the right youtubers.

I think that's what Reveal Sound did right, they have their sound store where you can browse presets by genres, subgenres and sub-subgenres. Wanna make chill-trap or progressive moombahton or future polka? They've got you covered.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Agreed, spire nailed the synth that acts as a rompler (nexus).

Although hive presets are plentyful and i find it the easiest for sound design, you can’t as easily throw money at sounds like with spire if you’re not good at handling synths.

I said it a couple times but i’ll say it again: you can pry Hive out of my cold dead hands

Well, I guess that's where they are coming from. We manage to release three of four sound banks a year at most :oops:

LeVzi wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:39 am
jasonekratz wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:42 am
LeVzi wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:57 pm I demo'd it, and I wasn't blown away. I demo'd Spire at the same time and that seemed a better choice sonically tbh.

I always see a lot of people selling Hive in the marketplace, often makes me suspicious tbh.
Suspicious of what?
Well if something is so good, why do loads of people sell it ? Its not like you are making money on synths, so for so many to be selling something, unless its because a bundle came out and you had 2nd licenses, it makes me wonder why ? Unless there was a big sale for Hive2 and people are making money on it.
Oh please stop with the "conspiracy" nonsense. Hive is a fantastic instrument made by one of the best devs out there. I'd take absolutely nothing from the KVR marketplace more than people are trying to sell copies they don't want. There are twenty billion reasons why someone might want to sell something that have nothing to do with the quality of the instrument.

Urs wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:40 am Well, I guess that's where they are coming from. We manage to release three of four sound banks a year at most :oops:
Yeah but the Reveal Sound store sells soundbanks from a ton of different authors so you're at an instant disadvantage :)

jasonekratz wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:41 pm
Urs wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:40 am Well, I guess that's where they are coming from. We manage to release three of four sound banks a year at most :oops:
Yeah but the Reveal Sound store sells soundbanks from a ton of different authors so you're at an instant disadvantage :)
Hehehe, we work with external collaborators too, mostly, but yeah, it isn't our main focus.

jasonekratz wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:41 pm
Not really, tons of that sound banks are mediocre and focused on flavor of the month cliche sounds, there's no real value in most of them, I have been using some of the banks for U He synths for years in vast array of genres, incredible stuff some of the designers put out, Luftrum, Arksun, Aiyn Zahev, Joseph Hollo, The Unfinished and etc.

deleted
Last edited by replicant X on Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Each DAW has a different sound.

Urs wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:45 am
LeVzi wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:39 amWell if something is so good, why do loads of people sell it ?
Maybe it's the BONES-effect. Apparently, he fell out of love after Hive became too complicated for him to handle, and now he's dragging all of KVR on his side.

Or maybe it's just that any thread about "other such synths" deteriorate in spamfests for Youtube videos and arguments about sub genres of EDM and what the word "progressive" means in Trance vs. what it means in pretty much ever other context.
Or maybe it's because other synths are better to the people selling Hive ? Bones has his opinion but it's of no influence to mine.

As I said, I demo'd Spire and Hive at the same time, spent a bit of time with both, good synths, but neither appealed to me in any great detail. I've made my mind up what synth I want now anyway, after demo'ing a few, and its none of the above.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

jasonekratz wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 12:39 pm
LeVzi wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:57 pm I demo'd it, and I wasn't blown away. I demo'd Spire at the same time and that seemed a better choice sonically tbh.

I always see a lot of people selling Hive in the marketplace, often makes me suspicious tbh.
Suspicious of what?
Well if something is so good, why do loads of people sell it ? Its not like you are making money on synths, so for so many to be selling something, unless its because a bundle came out and you had 2nd licenses, it makes me wonder why ? Unless there was a big sale for Hive2 and people are making money on it.
Oh please stop with the "conspiracy" nonsense. Hive is a fantastic instrument made by one of the best devs out there. I'd take absolutely nothing from the KVR marketplace more than people are trying to sell copies they don't want. There are twenty billion reasons why someone might want to sell something that have nothing to do with the quality of the instrument.
Could your nose be any browner ? I never suggested it was a conspiracy, but it's common sense, if something is that good, why sell it ? Did I suggest Hive wasn't good ? Nope. It just isn't for me. And guess what, i'm allowed to mention observations when I want to, get used to that mate .

LeVzi wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:34 pmOr maybe it's because other synths are better to the people selling Hive ?
Yes, so according to a quick search by topic, 26 people on KVR have sold their Hive license within a year. For Diva it was 27. I really don't see how you can deduct anything from that, not even a suspicion.

Or, if I may have a suspicion, if 99% of paying customers do not sell their license second hand, this is an amazing statement of customer satisfaction.

LeVzi wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:36 pm

Suspicious of what?
Could your nose be any browner ? I never suggested it was a conspiracy, but it's common sense, if something is that good, why sell it ? Did I suggest Hive wasn't good ? Nope. It just isn't for me. And guess what, i'm allowed to mention observations when I want to, get used to that mate .
“Could my be nose be any browner?” Could you be any more of a dick? Who am I trying to impress? Urs? I don’t know Urs outside of this forum. I don’t even use Hive. I do know that Hive is a quality synth.

I used quotes around conspiracy for a reason, because you’re making shit up. You’re not using “common sense” saying “if something is that good why sell it?”. Common sense is realizing that people sell shit all the time for lots of reasons. I owned a Korg M1 once, great synth that I no longer had a use for. Bass Station 2 also a great synth that I no longer had a use for. Both great instruments that I sold because I didn’t need them anymore.

The next sentence you say “did I suggest Hive wasn’t good? Nope”. Actually thats exactly what you suggested, twice now. “Just isn’t for me” has nothing to do with what you were doing. Had you said that without the other shit, I wouldn’t have even commented. Ever think that maybe those people sold it because it just wasn’t for them either? Maybe they bought it and found they didn’t like the UI. Maybe they got it cheap and are selling it and making a profit. Has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that its a quality instrument.

“And guess what, i'm allowed to mention observations when I want to, get used to that mate .”

As I’m allowed to call you on bullshit when I want to. Get used to that mate.

Urs wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:16 pm
LeVzi wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:34 pmOr maybe it's because other synths are better to the people selling Hive ?
Yes, so according to a quick search by topic, 26 people on KVR have sold their Hive license within a year. For Diva it was 27. I really don't see how you can deduct anything from that, not even a suspicion.

Or, if I may have a suspicion, if 99% of paying customers do not sell their license second hand, this is an amazing statement of customer satisfaction.
Im just going by what I see now. Not digging back over the years. And I was wondering why. Seems people have their reasons for selling HIVE, I didnt do a survey. Can only assume.

jasonekratz wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:32 pm
LeVzi wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:36 pm

Suspicious of what?
“Could my be nose be any browner?” Could you be any more of a dick? Who am I trying to impress? Urs? I don’t know Urs outside of this forum. I don’t even use Hive. I do know that Hive is a quality synth.

I used quotes around conspiracy for a reason, because you’re making shit up. You’re not using “common sense” saying “if something is that good why sell it?”. Common sense is realizing that people sell shit all the time for lots of reasons. I owned a Korg M1 once, great synth that I no longer had a use for. Bass Station 2 also a great synth that I no longer had a use for. Both great instruments that I sold because I didn’t need them anymore.

The next sentence you say “did I suggest Hive wasn’t good? Nope”. Actually thats exactly what you suggested, twice now. “Just isn’t for me” has nothing to do with what you were doing. Had you said that without the other shit, I wouldn’t have even commented. Ever think that maybe those people sold it because it just wasn’t for them either? Maybe they bought it and found they didn’t like the UI. Maybe they got it cheap and are selling it and making a profit. Has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that its a quality instrument.

“And guess what, i'm allowed to mention observations when I want to, get used to that mate .”

As I’m allowed to call you on bullshit when I want to. Get used to that mate.
You don't use Hive but are defending it to the hilt ? Fanboi much ?

5 or 6 people sell a synth roughly at the same time, says something, doesn't say nothing, like you'd have it. So you keep flying them flags junior. I'm sure Urs appreciates your efforts.

LeVzi wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:42 pm
Urs wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:16 pm

Im just going by what I see now. Not digging back over the years. And I was wondering why. Seems people have their reasons for selling HIVE, I didnt do a survey. Can only assume.
Well, Omnisphere seems like it's very popular (not for me, I find it too expensive) but still I see people (more than maybe for Hive or DIVA) selling it second hand. And they lose a lot with that. The amount of money they lose actually would pay for a DIV/Hive license, and they would still have some change.

I assume Omnisphere is not for them :borg:
Fernando (FMR)

Return to “Instruments”