Abyss released

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
5811 posts since 15 Sep, 2005 from East Coast of the USA

Post Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:56 am

https://www.tracktion.com/products/abyss

From the Tracktion website:

Unique and inspiring workflow based on sound colours.
More than 2000 sound colours as building blocks for patches.
Unique “sound surfing” for selecting sound colours.
Each sound colour can be modified with spectral processing.
Noise parameter adds “musical noise” – specifically based on and tuned to the selected sound colour.
Virtual analog filter with resonance.
Four sound effects: Shimmer, Delay, Reverb and Phaser.
Optional brick wall limiter.
Arbitrary modulation with 13 sources and 23 destinations.
2 ADSRs, 3 LFOs.
LFO supports free drawing of curve.
Two of the LFOs can be used as step sequencer.
Unique “stereo” modifier that allows to skew most parameters differently for left and right channel.
Modulation parameters can be modulated themselves (eg LFO-speed).
Easy pitch snap function to stay within scale.
MPE support.
Scalable, responsive UI.
More than 130 carefully crafted patches.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=n8eZHYDpb5U

KVRAF
5838 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:02 am

Wow, didn’t expect that sound world. Very unusual instead of bread and butter you get chili sin carne… And MPE…

KVRAF
6419 posts since 5 Aug, 2009

Post Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:16 am

Thx for posting, i dont get it yet. Is this a sampler modulating with spectral syth? Can you import files/samples then?
Or is it like a nice packaged sample player/rompler?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

KVRAF
30184 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:17 am

I wonder what Dreadbox think about it
https://www.dreadbox-fx.com/abyss/

KVRAF
1911 posts since 8 Jun, 2018

Post Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:27 am

Tj Shredder wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:02 am
Wow, didn’t expect that sound world. Very unusual instead of bread and butter you get chili sin carne… And MPE…
tracktion makes unusual synths, or have them in their catalogue, biotek 2, spacecraft (delta-v audio), and now this one. spectral.... MPE... no! no! must. not. but. it. too much to discover. later. yes. later..
Caine123 wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:16 am
Thx for posting, i dont get it yet. Is this a sampler modulating with spectral syth? Can you import files/samples then?
Or is it like a nice packaged sample player/rompler?

i don't see that it uses samples. seems not a rompler.

i think it basically a spectral synth. or additive engine which with modulators, or the colours, can create a spectral sounds. it is difficult to judge, i don't have downloaded the demo yet, how it works under the hood.
take me as apple as reed-son as flesh-icon, immediately
shits the wise man. hero and blind. take me as
stick as tongue as dog... Music & Soundscraping

KVRian
978 posts since 25 Sep, 2014 from Specific Northwest

Post Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:30 am

They definitely have released an eclectic set of VSTis. Not sure that I care for any of them, though, but they sure get props for synthesizing outside the box.

KVRist
147 posts since 17 Oct, 2005 from Edmond

Post Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:51 am

Seems interesting. It's a shame that none of the 2000 colors are showing up to create any sounds/patches...
Screen Shot 2021-06-26 at 2.49.47 PM.png

So far as I can tell, this is the only way to get sound out of this thing since there aren't any presets whatsoever with it.

I've tried opening as an AU in Logic and as a VST in Studio Pro One with identical results. Even checked the Tracktion Download Manager to ensure that I wasn't missing any content libraries.

Has anyone else ran into this/solved the issue yet?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Duality without regard to physicality

KVRAF
1911 posts since 8 Jun, 2018

Post Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:09 pm

c0nsilience wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 11:51 am
Seems interesting. It's a shame that none of the 2000 colors are showing up to create any sounds/patches...

So far as I can tell, this is the only way to get sound out of this thing since there aren't any presets whatsoever with it.

I've tried opening as an AU in Logic and as a VST in Studio Pro One with identical results. Even checked the Tracktion Download Manager to ensure that I wasn't missing any content libraries.

mmmmh, didn't demo it yet, perhaps i comes with no presets, like SpaceCraft, o well it has some presets...
me like the idea that you must create your own, or didn't you install the library, or is there a library.
with biotek 2 you must install the library..

(i have Biotek 2 and Spacecraft, and like them both, quite special synths, MPE, and own approach)

i don't want to demo it! spectral is a word, that gets me crazy, for buying it!
take me as apple as reed-son as flesh-icon, immediately
shits the wise man. hero and blind. take me as
stick as tongue as dog... Music & Soundscraping

KVRist
246 posts since 9 Jun, 2020

Post Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:10 pm

Yeah, I don't quite get it - the 'sound colours' are interesting, and looks very XO-by-XLN-like so I imagine it could be very quick to use, but I can't tell if you can create your own sound sources, if they are samples or generated by oscillators (and if so, can you control them). In a way it doesn't matter because I'm sure it's versatile enough, but the mysteriousness is slightly off-putting.

KVRAF
9118 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:16 pm

Looks pretty cool actually.
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

KVRist
246 posts since 9 Jun, 2020

Post Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:24 pm

c0nsilience wrote:

Yes I've got the same problem - no sound sources. It makes no sound without them so I'm putting this in the crazy-interesting rompler category. Happy for someone to show me otherwise though.

KVRist

Post Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:25 pm

I think that it will be really cool and I hope that whatever I’m experiencing is isolated to me.

If someone else wouldn’t mind downloading the demo to see if the ‘sound colors’ show up, I’d certainly appreciate it.

Right now, it’s nothing if not frustrating.

KVRist

Post Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:26 pm

Double Tap wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:24 pm
c0nsilience wrote:

Yes I've got the same problem - no sound sources. It makes no sound without them so I'm putting this in the crazy-interesting rompler category. Happy for someone to show me otherwise though.
Thanks, Double Tap!

KVRer
5 posts since 7 Mar, 2021

Post Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:40 pm

I don't think it's a rompler. There are about 2100 .ts2 files, presumably one preset timbre for each coloured blob. It mostly sounds like FM synthesis. There's a bit of a missed opportunity when selecting the timbres in the blob cloud in that you get the timbre closest to the mouse pointer rather than it blending several of the closest according to distance from the pointer. The blending takes place in the horizontal strip above once you've chosen several of the coloured blobs.

I would guess that there will eventually be additional 'packs' of .ts2 files.

KVRist

Post Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:44 pm

So, the sound colors showed up for you? If so, mind indicating a file path for these .ts2 files? Thanks.

Return to “Instruments”