Abyss released

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
1930 posts since 16 May, 2004 from Soviet Union

Post Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:22 pm

WasteLand wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:10 am
Iris 2
Frankly to say, i have big criticism for Iris 2 lol, but would not want to go into details, for the sake of politeness.
Can only say that if Iris can be compared with Abyss (and even more so with Pigments), then only in genre orientation (or rather, application for).
On the technical side, things are not only different (as was rightly noted above), but also of different levels of complexity (and not in favor of Iris). That I wouldn't compare them at all.

KVRAF
1911 posts since 8 Jun, 2018

Post Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:46 pm

c_voltage wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:22 pm
WasteLand wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:10 am
Iris 2
Frankly to say, i have big criticism for Iris 2 lol, but would not want to go into details, for the sake of politeness.
Can only say that if Iris can be compared with Abyss (and even more so with Pigments), then only in genre orientation (or rather, application for).
On the technical side, things are not only different (as was rightly noted above), but also of different levels of complexity (and not in favor of Iris). That I wouldn't compare them at all.
ok! Iris 2, it serves me well. i can get the genre orientation, like Pigments. but, then, i have you make music, it can be in different genres, all can serve well. perhaps.

but i get your point. Iris 2 gets lot of critique.. yes somethings are clunky, but still, when i use it, not that often, i make rather a big detour, while Iris 2 can do it much quicker.. and pretty good. so, why don't i use it more often?

o well. Iris 2, certainly deserves more attention from its builders.

but back to the Abyss. . . . still more to discover, with every step you master a synth, at some point you feel you are thrown back (like a fish?....), and feel if you open up it the first time, the normal, natural (???!!....) learning experience. and if you have that experience, of been thrown back, it means, that the synth has a lot to offer. in my experience...

so, like it, that i must discover more. the whole concept is really thought through, and you can go quite deep, although it doesn't look like it, quite deep, so in the end, the name Abyss, is quite true... not only the sound... the but the sonic tensions you can create.
take me as apple as reed-son as flesh-icon, immediately
shits the wise man. hero and blind. take me as
stick as tongue as dog... Music & Soundscraping

KVRAF

Post Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:57 pm

WasteLand wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:46 pm
Iris 2 gets lot of critique.. yes somethings are clunky, but still, when i use it, not that often, i make rather a big detour, while Iris 2 can do it much quicker.. and pretty good. so, why don't i use it more often?
Well, of course, nothing could be more important than that user have enjoy from product. I have defined my vision, but it should not stop you from having fun.
But ok, back to Abyss in some sense.

KVRer
26 posts since 11 Aug, 2015

Post Sat Jul 10, 2021 12:27 am

Just a short information for anyone interested in the 90 days free trial: you just need to click unlock and then give your tracktion account credentials - the demo version has NO functional restrictions, and does NOT interrupt sound.
And by the way: (almost?) all synths from tracktion.com have this 90 days free trial
Many of these are from indie-developers like me and are creatures born out of passion!

KVRist
147 posts since 17 Oct, 2005 from Edmond

Post Sat Jul 10, 2021 1:11 pm

Just an FYI: Tracktion’s 40% off intro sale on Abyss ends Sunday, 7/11.
Duality without regard to physicality

rj0
KVRist
450 posts since 18 Sep, 2010

Post Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:17 pm

Lost about 3-4 hours one night just playing with the sound variations possible, and that was without taking time to fiddle with modulating anything but the amplitude envelope.

No evolution, multiple dots, or effects, just a single fixed color dot picked from scrubbing through the color x/y map to find sound textures, then mainly variations of detail, organic, straighten, and dirt, and of course, the amplitude envelope (which really could use shape options for ADR) to tweak. Crossed many genres (cinematic, acoustic, etc.). Color me impressed. :hihi:

There is an amazing amount of depth to this Abyss.

KVRist
59 posts since 13 Mar, 2020

Post Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:41 pm

KVRAF
4675 posts since 25 Dec, 2004

Post Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:34 am

hope there's another sale later in the year, i've only just discovered Abyss. and i'm flippin broke :P
looks like i'll be falling asleep to this synthesiser a lot in future :D

two things, is there only a low pass option for the filter?

every time i click a colour node/handle to see its parameter sliders, the Organic slider automatically starts reducing in value in jumps, quite annoying. Surely that's a bug?
it would be good to have a part of the handle that can be clicked to see its parameters without accidentally moving it sideways.

OSX VST3

KVRAF

Post Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:31 pm

Vortifex wrote:
Sat Jul 03, 2021 3:35 am
Seems like a lot of repetition with the tones to choose from. I found the same female choir "ahh" sound at least 4 times along the bottom of the selection,
Not quite the same thought that I wanted to say, but to similar direction: it is only for to me seems that the color points on the timbre's field are less than 2000? lol (I apologize if this has already been discussed, I might have missed something)
Or maybe that the UI dots do not fully reproduce the number of places where a click can catch a timbre (?).
Question rather to dev i think.

KVRer
26 posts since 11 Aug, 2015

Post Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:51 pm

c_voltage wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:31 pm
Not quite the same thought that I wanted to say, but to similar direction: it is only for to me seems that the color points on the timbre's field are less than 2000? lol (I apologize if this has already been discussed, I might have missed something)
Or maybe that the UI dots do not fully reproduce the number of places where a click can catch a timbre (?).
Question rather to dev i think.
I just checked and added a counter in the paint routine: there are 2194 distinct tone colours displayed in the field. In the .../Dawesome/Abyss/Data directory (that is created by the installer) are 2193 tone colour files plus silence in the upper left corner -> 2194. So this seems to be ok.

There are no two with exact the same coordinates. When you select with the mouse the closest is picked, so even when some tone colours are close to each other you can pick those.

I guess you are aware that you can rescale Abyss freely? If you enlarge Abyss its easier to fine-pick timbres.

Some timbres sound very similar ... but please note that this is always also dependent on the slider settings on the edit page: something that sounds similar with "standard" settings may sound quite different with extreme settings. An example are the vowel sounds. With lower DETAIL, medium ORGANIC and cranked up DIRT these behave quite different. And they have different phase settings, so when you blend them on the gradient they again behave different.

So summarised: to the best of my knowledge its 2000+ tone colours - but I hear there is desire for even more and more distinct tone tone colours in a future version of Abyss? Or maybe libraries of tone-colour-maps?

KVRAF
9118 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Sun Jul 11, 2021 3:11 pm

Is there a mono mode? Didn't see it in the demo.
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

KVRAF

Post Sun Jul 11, 2021 4:54 pm

PetVor wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:51 pm
I just checked and added a counter in the paint routine: there are 2194 distinct tone colours displayed in the field. In the .../Dawesome/Abyss/Data directory (that is created by the installer) are 2193 tone colour files plus silence in the upper left corner -> 2194. So this seems to be ok.
PetVor wrote:
I guess you are aware that you can rescale Abyss freely? If you enlarge Abyss its easier to fine-pick timbres.
Yes, i noticed that *.ts2 files amount is properly big, but just had worry that maybe not all of them presents in UI palette (like some issue), so, ok ty for did check.
I just estimated the amount visually, so it seemed...

About resize - yes, had this idea too, with the thought that this would give access to visually more points, but this did not change their number (which also prompted me to ask the question above). Although yes, resizing can add convenience for selecting.

And here one more question begs itself - it seemed to me that the visualization of points (if not the amount, then at least their location on the field) has a quite approximate character (?). What I mean - there are cases when we click on an empty (black) space and catch the timbre. That absolutely not critical, just want to make sure that this is normal behavior.
PetVor wrote:
Some timbres sound very similar ... but please note that this is always also dependent on the slider settings on the edit page: something that sounds similar with "standard" settings may sound quite different with extreme settings. An example are the vowel sounds. With lower DETAIL, medium ORGANIC and cranked up DIRT these behave quite different. And they have different phase settings, so when you blend them on the gradient they again behave different.
Yes, this reason already kept in mind.
By the way, this feature also has its advantages. In the "pale" difference mode (due to any parameters - or general sinusoide'ation, or noise'ation etc) we will have a huge range consisting of one of these mentioned simplified tones. Which is also quite interesting and it's good that it is.
PetVor wrote:
So summarised: to the best of my knowledge its 2000+ tone colours - but I hear there is desire for even more and more distinct tone tone colours in a future version of Abyss? Or maybe libraries of tone-colour-maps?
Hm yes, why not. (by both points - colours, and maps. Even perhaps - other maps (with other coulours) even more great idea).
Although, should note, even now the library of timbres is enoughly good by amount and timbres (but again, with the condition that we really have access to two thousand timbres at the moment lol)

One thing I ask confidently (may other users forgive me lol) - please DO NOT make freely import for user waves (colors), which would be good in some other case, in this case - it will simply destroy the aesthetics (magic) of this product.

For the same reason, I can assume that the best request would not be an increase in the number of colors, but expanding the functionality of already existing modifiers (or some new interesting modifiers), modulation, fx's. I will not say exactly what it could be yet, but it seems to me it is necessary to dig in this direction.

KVRAF
9118 posts since 12 May, 2008

Post Sun Jul 11, 2021 6:42 pm

I'd love a 2D tone blend, like a Prophet VS vector style synth. It opens a lot of possibilities when you don't only have the one direction of tones to go through.
System: Windows 10, Dell XPS 2-in-1, Bitwig 3, Steinberg UR44.

GRRRRRRR!
11956 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Sun Jul 11, 2021 7:06 pm

I tried the demo yesterday and I did not like it at all. The choice of sounds for the factory presets are very strange to me and I didn't hear anything I thought I might want to use. It was a bit frustrating because I'd hold a note down and it would do something interesting but, instead of continuing along that path, it would morph into something different (and terrible). I didn't like tweaking the patches, either. The whole colour idea seems dumb to me, I kept want to see the waveform I was working on and the Remnant (granular delay VST) style bars for effects didn't exactly thrill me, either. I can't see myself every wanting to use this over Concept, Straylight, Pigments or Quanta.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win10, UR44C | Studio One | JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, GR-8, Viper, Equator, VG Carbon | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

KVRAF
2138 posts since 12 Jan, 2019

Post Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:00 am

I would like it to have an MSEG with one-shot, trigger option.
"Have you ever noticed how anyone driving faster than you is a [jerk] and anyone driving slower than you is a moron?" - George Carlin

Return to “Instruments”