Abyss released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Abyss

Is there a way to switch off the annoying auto-versioning that creates a bajillion duplicates of a user preset just because I touched something?

Nevermind, turns out I was accidentally creating auto-versioned duplicates without realizing it.

I think it's a really cool idea for a sound engine. I've seen this "click & drag" method of auditioning samples in other instruments but this is the first time I've seen it used as a means of "tone selection" within a synth. That's a gamechanger, and it's probably only a matter of time before other synth developers steal this idea and run off with it.

Unfortunately, I almost always end up with a muddy, boxy mid-range I can't scoop out. Perhaps a notch filter or something later on down the road. The effects are also kind of confusing. Perhaps a few too many abstractions. I think people are automatically going to be looking for "reverb" and "delay" nomenclature they recognize.

All in all, I think it's a really cool concept, but it needs streamlined a bit. I think instead of a gradient that crossfades between (and crosses over) nodes from left-to-right, I would prefer to modulate "towards and away" from nodes spread out across something more like an XY pad...perhaps shaped like a circle or something cool looking. Just an idea.

Cool synth tho. Keep making stuff like this, I dig it!

Sound Author wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:13 pm Nevermind, turns out I was accidentally creating auto-versioned duplicates without realizing it.
Well, I don't like it--I've unintentionally made duplicates in my user presets--there should be a toggle or some pop-up to confirm you want to actually make a preset.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Can you explain how did you do that? Actually you need to either change the name and press enter, or you need to press "SAVE" to create a preset!?

I miss the down carat (my bad) and click the preset name by accident, then I don't know--I must be hitting enter. But it happens a lot. It's on me, unless it happens to a lot of users? I'll be mindful about it an report back if I keep doing it--not sure why I'd be hitting enter (some sequence of tasks I'm used to doing automatically maybe--will monitor this).

PetVor wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:19 pm Can you explain how did you do that? Actually you need to either change the name and press enter, or you need to press "SAVE" to create a preset!?
I'm still a bit confused about what caused me to create duplicate presets. But I think what happened is that I opened a preset I created earlier, clicked "Save Preset As" in the preset browser and then clicked "Save" in the "Export Preset" window without realizing that "(2)" was added to the preset name automatically. This seems unnecessary. The intention might be to backup previous versions of a preset if you're not happy with the recent changes, but it's just going to cause people to create dozens of duplicate versions they'll have to manually delete later on. Yes, I understand that we should just click "Save" instead of "Save Preset As" but I'm a superstitious control freak who needs to see that dialog box when I click "Save". Been doing it for years.

Ah, now I see. I understand the desire to be really sure if "SAVE" has worked. In the very bottom of the plugin there appears an info message after you pressed SAVE telling you if save did work out successfully.

Dirtgrain wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:40 pm I miss the down carat (my bad) and click the preset name by accident, then I don't know--I must be hitting enter. [...]
Thanks for reporting! I extended the area for the down carat now, so it is easier to hit. This goes into the next update of Abyss.

PetVor wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:46 am
Dirtgrain wrote: Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:40 pm I miss the down carat (my bad) and click the preset name by accident, then I don't know--I must be hitting enter. [...]
Thanks for reporting! I extended the area for the down carat now, so it is easier to hit. This goes into the next update of Abyss.
i have myself a bigger problem with 'save', it overrides the current preset, of course. some soft synths indeed, do this... but -o my memory-.. o well not important..

i see that i make a mistake easy, that i override a preset, while want to do 'save as'... a pop up with 'preset already exist, do you want to override', or whatever... would be usefull..

i make presets and make variants, of course i use save as in that case, but a mistake is quickly made, when i number them myself. it can override a preset.. it already happened...

If only overwriting factory presets would prompt you to save to a different place all could be happy… I guess that is whats confusing some…

Is there a discount code for Abyss still flying around somewhere?

There was one in the info of a Databroth Youtube video, IIRC. I think it expired, but you could give it a try.

FWIW Tracktion have 40% off sales pretty often. I'll grab it then.

collider wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:25 pm Is there a discount code for Abyss still flying around somewhere?
There is a 30% discount valid until end of August on Camerons channel VenusTheory.
You just have to join his discord, you find it under announcements.

Return to “Instruments”