One Synth Challenge #149: VeeSeeVSTRack (liqih Wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

liqih wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:48 am ... there are so many modules...
Much like Zarf's, my mind was blown. I'm still trying to put all the overwhelmed pieces together again. :hihi:

ELEX wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:06 am
liqih wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 2:48 am ... there are so many modules...
Much like Zarf's, my mind was blown. I'm still trying to put all the overwhelmed pieces together again. :hihi:
Yep, I knew I would have to face that, hence I choose one main module to stick with for this OSC.
So far resonator/annuli is very rewarding for my goal: guitars, tabla and strange effects.

So i'm using JS poly_mono_midi_router: Dynamic poly/mono MIDI router from tale in reaper to route polyphonic midi to mono VeeSeeVST instances. Its working ok but i think i'll need to wait until 2040 and we have CPU's with 1000s of cores. Its maxing out my cpu pretty quickly which is a shame.

I use pizMidiPolyphony myself for feeding mono synths!

dB

Though still staying stubbornly monophonic myself in these cases, here's a thought: if a plugin allows MIDI input channel selection, all mono synths can be put on the same track in REAPER and (selected) parameters can be linked to one instance for easy patch editing.

Heh, I'm probably happy with everything) VeeSeeVST works for me as it should; and for me, who has never programmed absolutely modular synthesizers, 800+ modules is a colossal! Of course, I would be happy if this noble guy repeated his feat with a new version of VCV! I also do not exclude that the announced official version of the VCV Rack VST will be the first commercial synthesizer I have ever purchased. Now, for this month of OSC, the opportunity to make an acceptable 4-voice polyphony is more than enough for me, and monophony in VCV does not seem to be a minus with its capabilities. You just start thinking differently... Modular synth is incredible! :wheee:

P.S. Many thanks to Taron for the training patches! :hug: (although they were not intended for me :hihi: ) An excellent and understandable example of polyphony and basic synthesis! And the "Color Worm" patch showed me that "One Instance" and complex patches are not my way - yes, my computer crashes from this exploding sequence! :lol: :lol: :lol:

P.P.S. As I understood the talk about gray areas (and green men :hihi: ) - I do not use generators that use samples, but otherwise I am free in everything that happens inside the VCV. Correct me if something has changed, I didn't have the strength to read the entire Slack General Thread in the two weeks that I wasn't here! :lol:

I keep making up excuses not to just open up my DAW and play with VeeSee. That's it. Waking up at 5am before work, and forcing myself to plug and unplug stuff. :ud: Wish me luck!

Good luck !

I use VCV Rack a lot so would suggest if people want to use a host DAW for the full VCV Rack then they could look at Reaper as it allows you to use ReaRoute to channel audio to and from the DAW.
If you’re on Windows loopMIDI works for sending MIDI to and from VCV Rack too.
But, the VCV Recorder module in standalone is perfectly fine for capturing audio plus can even save video of your patch and how you interact with it if you want.
https://library.vcvrack.com/VCV-Recorder/Recorder

For anyone using full blown VCV Rack I highly recommend using Stoermelder’s free pack one utility modules as they simplify so many things like an improved browser, working with CC parameters etc.
https://library.vcvrack.com/?brand=stoermelder

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:19 am I use VCV Rack a lot so would suggest if people want to use a host DAW for the full VCV Rack then they could look at Reaper as it allows you to use ReaRoute to channel audio to and from the DAW.
If this works well, then ReaRoute as part of ReaPlugs exists as separate VST Plugins for any DAW. I'll check it out too, thank you! :tu:

Aro wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:38 am I keep making up excuses not to just open up my DAW and play with VeeSee. That's it. Waking up at 5am before work, and forcing myself to plug and unplug stuff. :ud: Wish me luck!
Just plug and unplug random stuff I got the most presets for all OSC! :lol: This method works; just keep doing it and don't forget to save what you like. By the end of the month, you will have collected enough sounds to compose something with them. Well and... good luck! :tu:

IV! wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:22 am If this works well, then ReaRoute as part of ReaPlugs exists as separate VST Plugins for any DAW. I'll check it out too, thank you! :tu:
ReaRoute has nothing to do with ReaPlugs ( which does contain ReaStream for audio/MIDI via LAN. ) ReaRoute shows up as an ASIO driver in applications. One has to install REAPER to get it.

i've been meaning to get into vcv for a while, so i'm happy this challenge forced me to finally take the plunge. :)

i started out using veeseevst in cakewalk but my cpu is starting to creak (which is at least partially a cakewalk issue, it tends to not be as efficient as i would like sometimes) and i still want to add more stuff, so i might switch over to the standalone. importing the same project seems to work mostly fine. it seemed like a decent starting point to restrict myself to only the modules in veeseevst but i have discovered a few later ones that are quite tempting...

seconding the recommendation of omri cohen's youtube channel, for anyone who likes to learn that way.

the audible instruments modules seem to be very useful once you figure them out, but doing so takes some work and they are not very intuitive. recommended if you have the time to spare and want to go deep, not so much if you want to get something quickly up and running. random sampler (aka marbles) is my favorite so far, a slowly (or quickly or not at all) evolving, optionally quantized s&h/sequencer which is great for anything generative. could see using it to generate midi data for other projects in the future.

a question, how do you all feel about using external audio as a cv source? the hot tuna module has the ability to convert pitch information to cv, and i always wanted to try hooking up a theremin to control something like a filter frequency... kind of like using it as a midi controller. might not be right for this particular project anyways, but i'm curious if it would be within the spirit of the challenge.

emikaela wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:00 pm i started out using veeseevst in cakewalk but my cpu is starting to creak
Well, I'm using REAPER, which is supposed to be efficient, but my CPU creaks also. I think track freezing may be necessary for me.
emikaela wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:00 pm a question, how do you all feel about using external audio as a cv source? the hot tuna module has the ability to convert pitch information to cv, and i always wanted to try hooking up a theremin to control something like a filter frequency... kind of like using it as a midi controller. might not be right for this particular project anyways, but i'm curious if it would be within the spirit of the challenge.
Using a theremin as a controller is perfectly alright imo. Wish I had one myself. And thanks for pointing out Hot Tuna. :tu: I'll be sure to check that one out.

ELEX wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:39 pm Using a theremin as a controller is perfectly alright imo. Wish I had one myself. And thanks for pointing out Hot Tuna. :tu: I'll be sure to check that one out.
it's in the nysthi collection, so sadly not in veeseevst if you're using that. i haven't found anything in there yet with that functionality. and i now discovered that p2v in the same collection is apparently a more specialized module for doing exactly that without the tuner part, to save a little bit of cpu i guess.

Return to “Instruments”