Phuturetone GR-8 V/A Synth (KVR Dev Challenge)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
GR-8

v1o wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:09 pm I hope he's not breaking any rules with updates during the challenge.
"During the voting period you may update your entry but updates must be bug fixes ONLY. You are NOT allowed to add new features or rework existing ones during the voting period".

Depends on whether reduced CPU demand is considered a bug fix or a new or reworked "feature".

I'd say it probably falls closer to a bug fix but then I'm not the judge.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Teksonik wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:37 pm
v1o wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:09 pm I hope he's not breaking any rules with updates during the challenge.
"During the voting period you may update your entry but updates must be bug fixes ONLY. You are NOT allowed to add new features or rework existing ones during the voting period".

Depends on whether reduced CPU demand is considered a bug fix or a new or reworked "feature".

I'd say it probably falls closer to a bug fix but then I'm not the judge.
I think CPU demand was reduced by removing oversampling.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Why do you think that? It sounds the same to me, although I've not done any 1:1 comparisons with each version. And if that is how he's achieved it, it just shows that oversampling wasn't worth the overhead.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

sasha has written it on page 4 of the other thread:
viewtopic.php?p=8164103#p8164103
Removed oversampling to reduce CPU usage

Gotcha, I'd missed that. Still, what I said above applies - GR-8 doesn't need the oversampling, it sounds really good without it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

This is a great Synth but it could be the best free synth ever
add a drift button a vhs effect and a dirty look and you could even sell it but not for more than 10 quid please thank u lol @Phuturetone

So you don't care that it doesn't respond to velocity or aftertouch? I think it needs to have all the basics before anyone even thinks about adding those kinds of features. With velocity and aftertouch, I'd happily pay $50 for it.

core18 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:29 pm This is a great Synth but it could be the best free synth ever
add a drift button a vhs effect and a dirty look and you could even sell it but not for more than 10 quid please thank u lol @Phuturetone
Vital is free.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:37 am
core18 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:29 pm This is a great Synth but it could be the best free synth ever
Vital is free.
Vital doesn't sound as good as GR-8 (and I own and use Vital).

the thing is a pretty picture to look at.

I can't use it. Tried to use apply envelope 1 to oscillator 1 and nothing happens because there's no obvious connection between them. Also my eye was busy looking around at the symbolic code-set and trying to reverse engineer how the routing functions, and quickly lost interest in doing that.

the little oscillator switches are fiddly and confusing to the eye.

this is an interface/instrument that seems to require specific learning and memorization tasks as to it's particular workflow. since it is not readily obvious to understand to a veteran synth tinkerer of 20 years, this means that a mental note needs to be remembered by the user in between sessions, which means that it will not likely be used as often as more obvious control interfaces.

just because it is not obvious to me doesn't mean it won't be to everyone. there's too many puff piece comments on the net, and i'm not here to tell people what they want to hear unless the software works the way i actually like. this is just one opinion, so i don't need a critique on my critique for other forum users, this is meant for the developer.

amateurtools wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:00 pm Tried to use apply envelope 1 to oscillator 1 and nothing happens because there's no obvious connection between them.

What where you expecting to happen?

Does it indicate on the gui that Env1 can modulate (whatever part of) Osc?

amateurtools wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:00 pm I can't use it...
... this is an interface/instrument that seems to require specific learning and memorization tasks as to it's particular workflow. since it is not readily obvious to understand to a veteran synth tinkerer of 20 years, this means that a mental note needs to be remembered by the user in between sessions, which means that it will not likely be used as often as more obvious control interfaces.
Seriously? Reading this, I had to scroll back up to the top to make sure I was reading the thread I thought I was. GR-8 is just about as straightforward as a synth gets. I sure as hell can't think of a simpler or more obvious one.

amateurtools wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:00 pm I can't use it. Tried to use apply envelope 1 to oscillator 1 and nothing happens because there's no obvious connection between them.
this is just one opinion, so i don't need a critique on my critique for other forum users, this is meant for the developer.
Yeah, I can’t use this synth also. I tried to go skiing with it and nothing happens because there’s obviously no connection between a VST synth and skiing.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

DJErmac wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 4:00 am
amateurtools wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:00 pm I can't use it. Tried to use apply envelope 1 to oscillator 1 and nothing happens because there's no obvious connection between them.
this is just one opinion, so i don't need a critique on my critique for other forum users, this is meant for the developer.
Yeah, I can’t use this synth also. I tried to go skiing with it and nothing happens because there’s obviously no connection between a VST synth and skiing.
Oh, right.. For a moment I thought you were misspelling "skinning" :)

AnX summed it all. WTF is the guy talking about ??? :lol:
AnX wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:40 pm
amateurtools wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:00 pm Tried to use apply envelope 1 to oscillator 1 and nothing happens because there's no obvious connection between them.

What where you expecting to happen?

Does it indicate on the gui that Env1 can modulate (whatever part of) Osc?
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

Return to “Instruments”