Motorola DSP563xx Emulator (BETA) (Access Virus, Nord Lead, Waldorf MW...)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
User avatar
KVRAF
1980 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Post Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:55 pm

I'll have to agree with Anx here, even though it's just an assumption, why would people who actually alraedy own the HW synth use the OS in an emulator? Doesn't make much sense tbh. For testing purposes possibly, but not much for production purposes.

Nobody has to prove anything, but the defence certain people are showing towards this is kind of interesting.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

KVRAF
3314 posts since 2 Jul, 2005

Post Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:11 pm

Unfortunately people will use this illegally. I have no interest except for having stuff that I own in a fully vst environment. I would enjoy playing with a few things that I was curious about in the past, but I won't be using them. If I really thought they would add to my productions, then I would have the hardware.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

KVRian
730 posts since 14 May, 2014

Post Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:18 pm

starflakeprj wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:55 pm
I'll have to agree with Anx here, even though it's just an assumption, why would people who actually alraedy own the HW synth use the OS in an emulator? Doesn't make much sense tbh. For testing purposes possibly, but not much for production purposes.

Nobody has to prove anything, but the defence certain people are showing towards this is kind of interesting.
I really disagree with this. For people who own the hardware and perform in studio/live, but want to create on-the-go with their laptops, something like this has merit. I don't think it's completely accurate to say that hardware owners wouldn't be interested in something like this or immediately sell off their gear, anymore than owners of Roland Juno's or expensive analog gear wouldn't be interested and/or sell off their keyboards because Arturia made another plugin.

People who own hardware do it not just because of the sound, but for many reasons like the tactile feel, longevity, and performing. If you don't have access to your gear or are on-the-road, and you want to start tracking or practicing a new performance, this would be very useful.

KVRAF
5424 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:01 pm

starflakeprj wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:55 pm
why would people who actually alraedy own the HW synth use the OS in an emulator? Doesn't make much sense tbh. For testing purposes possibly, but not much for production purposes.
I have a Virus and I did use it quite a bit in actual tracks, but it has a number of disadvantages
- that Total Integration thing doesn't work very smooth. It kinda mostly works but may crash when you expect it the least, I may have troubles with adding Virus to big projects, etc.
- only one instance at time
- some other minor things

I do love the sound and it's workable overall but native plugins are just much more convenient. That's why I'd definitiy like to use this emulator instead of my hardware for production purposes if it worked smoothly here (it doesn't) and if I were sure that I can do this legally (I'm not).
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

https://soundcloud.com/recursion-loop/s ... travels-ep

PAK
KVRian
1024 posts since 20 Feb, 2003

Post Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:31 pm

starflakeprj wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:55 pm
why would people who actually alraedy own the HW synth use the OS in an emulator?
Because it offers the possibility for a future, where this stuff will otherwise disappear into history. Because it's a plugin. No cables, no taking up room space, no external sync issues, offers multiple instances, no dealing with interfaces pretending to be plugins, no dealing with machines - some of which are now 20+ years old - failing at some point (and they WILL increasingly start to fail in the not so distant future).

Even if you own the actual plugin (there is a plugin), the hardware it runs on is likewise 20 years old, discontinued, the plugin wrapper is stuck at 32 bit, formats like PCI likely won't be supported on newer motherboards you'd want to use, and there is now no way to put a new license on the later PCIe cards because Behringer (who owns TC Electronic) decided to shut the auth servers down.

In short, this emulator offers a future for the hardware code where there otherwise is none. There is only the certainty that they will slowly, but surely, be lost to time. Emulation means nothing less than these synths will live on for future generations..

User avatar
KVRAF
1980 posts since 28 Feb, 2015

Post Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:47 pm

I respect your opionions (both of your's), and your argurments are good. However, I believe there are more non-Access synth owners than there are Access synth owners out in the wild. Most people only curious of course, maybe even not using the the emulation in official productions, but I'm pretty sure the majority of users aren't owners, the same way most users of MAME and old archade/c64/nes/sega games aren't owners of a license of that game. Maybe they were at some point, but I know the collector's behaviour, because I have been one myself :)
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

KVRAF
4168 posts since 17 Aug, 2004

Post Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:30 am

PAK wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:31 pm
and there is now no way to put a new license on the later PCIe cards because Behringer (who owns TC Electronic) decided to shut the auth servers down.
FYI servers and licensing management were shut down years and years before Behringer purchased them. No matter what and where you read that info, licensing and transfer etc. was shut down years before Behringer.

I know this for a fact because I had Powercore X8 and System 6000. When TC was still TC they even offered a crossgrade to UAD once they announced end of life for powercore.
Last edited by kmonkey on Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF
4168 posts since 17 Aug, 2004

Post Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:34 am

Ah_Dziz wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:11 pm
Unfortunately people will use this illegally.
Hello reality. People do that all the time. On daily basis. In all life segments. Just go out and you'll find at least one person driving in a drunk state. Which is not legal afaik.
Ah_Dziz wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:11 pm
I have no interest except for having stuff that I own in a fully vst environment. I would enjoy playing with a few things that I was curious about in the past, but I won't be using them.
I don't think anyone cares about your moral foundation or what you have. Not saying this in a bad way.

My point is, just because someone doesn't see a fit where someone else does - we don't need public drama. Like I am different to someone else. What I prefer someone else may not. It doesn't mean world need to spin about me.

The real question is: why do we feel urge to comment on other people choices and why do we try to force them into our way of thinking? I guess it's about insecurity..mine included.

Hey it's a public forum. We can piss without getting punished. He!

KVRer
18 posts since 13 Jul, 2021

Post Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:38 am

Thanks to the creators for this gift.
Looking forward to any stability improvements.

KVRist
402 posts since 1 Jul, 2009

Post Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:42 am

"Oh no, everyone can use my precious virus for free now, while I paid a fortune for it." :roll:

PAK
KVRian
1024 posts since 20 Feb, 2003

Post Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:59 am

kmonkey wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:30 am
FYI servers and licensing management were shut down years and years before Behringer purchased them.
I'm sure you're right as TC themselves didn't have the best support track record on the computer side, and I remember them announcing they were planning to support the UAD DSP platform before the Behringer purchase. However, someone on Gear (cough) Space complained in more recent years, and Uli made "arrangements" to have the persons plugins authorized. So they can boot the old server if and when they want to. Nice..

KVRian
730 posts since 14 May, 2014

Post Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:42 am

Can we please move the discussion from the ethics surrounding this project to the emulator itself? anybody make any songs with it yet?

It's a never-ending rabbit hole and ultimately, people will use it or not use it at their own discretion. Anything more than that is just armchair lawyering that does nothing but go in circles.
Last edited by Shiek927 on Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF
3314 posts since 2 Jul, 2005

Post Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:49 am

There's nothing up and running that I'm into. I got the virus going and made a couple sounds just to see if it would run.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

KVRAF
3314 posts since 2 Jul, 2005

Post Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:54 am

kmonkey wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:34 am
Ah_Dziz wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:11 pm
Unfortunately people will use this illegally.
Hello reality. People do that all the time. On daily basis. In all life segments. Just go out and you'll find at least one person driving in a drunk state. Which is not legal afaik.
Ah_Dziz wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:11 pm
I have no interest except for having stuff that I own in a fully vst environment. I would enjoy playing with a few things that I was curious about in the past, but I won't be using them.
I don't think anyone cares about your moral foundation or what you have. Not saying this in a bad way.

My point is, just because someone doesn't see a fit where someone else does - we don't need public drama. Like I am different to someone else. What I prefer someone else may not. It doesn't mean world need to spin about me.

The real question is: why do we feel urge to comment on other people choices and why do we try to force them into our way of thinking? I guess it's about insecurity..mine included.

Hey it's a public forum. We can piss without getting punished. He!
I didn't comment on anybody in particular or their decisions and could care less what people decide to do with a thingy. That was kind of my point. I was just stating the reality of the situation and that I could see this becoming handy (for myself) in the future. I don't see how that's trying to force anyone to do anything.

I'm all for people digging into all types of technology for all sorts of uses.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

User avatar
addled muppet weed
80695 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:57 am

kmonkey wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:34 am
Ah_Dziz wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:11 pm
Unfortunately people will use this illegally.
Hello reality. People do that all the time. On daily basis. In all life segments. Just go out and you'll find at least one person driving in a drunk state. Which is not legal afaik.
and if they are caught they are arrested and punished, usually with points/a ban and a fine, possible prison sentences.

so, whats your point? its ok so long as you dont get caught? :lol:

Return to “Instruments”