Motorola DSP563xx Emulator (BETA) (Access Virus, Nord Lead, Waldorf MW...)

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRian
730 posts since 14 May, 2014

Post Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:06 pm

PAK wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:31 pm
starflakeprj wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:55 pm
why would people who actually alraedy own the HW synth use the OS in an emulator?
Because it offers the possibility for a future, where this stuff will otherwise disappear into history. Because it's a plugin. No cables, no taking up room space, no external sync issues, offers multiple instances, no dealing with interfaces pretending to be plugins, no dealing with machines - some of which are now 20+ years old - failing at some point (and they WILL increasingly start to fail in the not so distant future).
True story: I'm a twice owner of a Novation Nova and a blue Waldorf MicroQ. Would have gotten the Q, but they go for insane prices on the second-hand market and that's just the rack-mount and not the full-on keyboard. I bought both of them with the intent of using them with the Mystery Island VST editors because I have zero intention of using them directly by turning knobs. I simply prefer using a mouse and computer screen, find it way faster to use, and is simply what I'm used too. I'm the opposite of old-school and find tweaking the knobs and staring a tiny LCD screen boring as heck. Especially with the MicroQ which is a super deep synth with a huge mod matrix. Trying to do complex patch-editing on a tiny 2U rack-synth with 4 knobs that's about the size of a loaf of bread isn't really my idea of a fun time :dog:

So when it turned out that the Mystery Island editors weren't what they were cracked up to be, I unfortunately decided to sell them off. I simply couldn't get the editors to work as seamlessly as using any software plugin and, more than half the time, I had difficulties just getting the editor and hardware to sync up. I adored the sound of those modules, and other mid/late 90's VA"s, but the whole experience of hardware - only one instance at a time, the need to get a MIDI interface, the sphagetti web of cables that my home studio was turning into that literally stressed me out just by looking at it, the horrendous experience of trying to update the ancient Nova firmware so I can use the new features like the Double Saw, and the absolute financial sinkhole of it all - made me swear off ever buying another piece of hardware ever again. Everything about it felt so archaic to me when great sounding synths and mixing tools can be bought for cheap, or even free, with none of the hassle that comes with having a hunk of metal and plastic.

The point of my story is that, if I still had the hardware, I would have used the Emulator because controlling these hardware synths digitally in a DAW environment was literally the only reason I bought them for. If this project was just a VST Editor that worked efficiently and seamlessly, and I hadn't been burned by trying to get the Mystery Island editors to work right, I would have considered using this instead.
Last edited by Shiek927 on Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

KVRAF
28819 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:11 pm

Pretty much sums up my thoughts about hardware. :tu: Great sound, but, those downsides...
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

KVRAF
4241 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:49 pm

Shiek927 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:06 pm
PAK wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:31 pm
starflakeprj wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:55 pm
why would people who actually alraedy own the HW synth use the OS in an emulator?
Because it offers the possibility for a future, where this stuff will otherwise disappear into history. Because it's a plugin. No cables, no taking up room space, no external sync issues, offers multiple instances, no dealing with interfaces pretending to be plugins, no dealing with machines - some of which are now 20+ years old - failing at some point (and they WILL increasingly start to fail in the not so distant future).
, I had difficulties just getting the editor and hardware to sync up. I adored the sound of those modules, and other mid/late 90's VA"s, but the whole experience of hardware - only one instance at a time.
I have what I consider to be the finest crop of 90's synths ( nord modular , yamaha tg 77 etcc) and all of them are multitimbral .
It's literally the major advantage , multiple instances with no cpu load
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

v1o
KVRAF
2814 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Post Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:16 pm

chk071 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:11 pm
Pretty much sums up my thoughts about hardware. :tu: Great sound, but, those downsides...
Do you prefer the Virus to Spire?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

KVRist

Topic Starter

74 posts since 17 Jan, 2021

Post Wed Jul 14, 2021 2:54 am

Audio Inputs are now working in BETA 1.1.5, you can check out some examples on our blog below :)

New BETA should be arriving very soon

https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/2021/07/ ... rocessing/

KVRAF

Post Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:01 am

v1o wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:16 pm
chk071 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:11 pm
Do you prefer the Virus to Spire?
Hard to say... this emulator is my first real contact with it, I only listened to a gazillion of sound demos before. Let's put it like this: Spire sounds more high end, and modern to me. And, I think I do prefer its sound. But, nonetheless I really like the Virus' sound, and also the *Nova's, and the old Waldrof synth's sound.

Spire is my absolute favorite in the synth's I tried hands on though, so, it'd be hard to push it off that spot. ;)

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:16 am

DSP563xx Emulator v1.1.5 Change Log (Now avaliable for Download)

New Features & Improvements:

- Generate MIDI clock which allows the Arpeggiator, Delay & LFOs to be synced to the plugin host/DAW clock
- Add Audio Input support, feed any audio signal to the plugin and process it via Filters, FX or the Vocoder
- Add buttons to switch between Single mode and Multi mode
- Single parameter edits via Controllers / Poly pressure or Sysex are now stored in the Single edit buffers
- Add support for Bank Requests for Singles & Multis
- Support Multi program changes via Sysex
- Support RAM banks A & B / add ability to store Singles & Multis in RAM banks via Sysex

Known Issues:

- Plugin state is not preserved yet, backup your sounds via external MIDI editors or bounce to DAW tracks
- Multi edits are not yet applied to the Multi edit buffer
- MIDI: Arrangement Request, Global Request, Total Request are coming in a later version

Download here: https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/downloads/

Buy us a coffee here: https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_bu ... X46LBRWNLG

Join our Discord Server: https://discord.gg/mveFUNbNCK

KVRist
393 posts since 28 Jul, 2003 from Poland

Post Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:10 am

Great update!

KVRAF
4241 posts since 22 Mar, 2009 from gent

Post Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:03 am

Cpu has even increased more
In the previous version I could set the instance to midi channel 2 which gave me a initialised sound , and it was workable ..untill a certain point
Now every channel is a cpu hog , cpu to 99% at an instant , it has now become literally unusable :lol:( on my pc that is )
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

KVRAF

Post Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:08 am

No wonder. More features, more CPU, I guess.

KVRist

Post Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:11 am

On my CPU (Ryzen 5800x) still bout 6% of one core.

KVRist

Post Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:23 am

C'mon. I live in Poland. My monthly earnings are about 1/3 of those in Germany. I have a wife and 3 children. Why are you still using those oldschool cpus? ;)

KVRAF

Post Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:26 am

Mostly because I won't pay the completely insane prices ATM... the more people pay these prices, the more likely it is that nothing will change about the pricing, even when hardware will become more available again.

The other reason would be that this computer is 7 years old now. I'm reluctant to replace it, because, I don't think 7 years is much of an age.

Seriously, it runs most VSTi's just fine. If it doesn't run an Open Source Motorola DSP emulator, which obviously is very CPU hungry, fair enough for me.

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:53 am

DSP563xx Emulator v1.1.6 Change Log (Now avaliable for Download)

- Fix memory corruption when changing Single parameters

Known Issues:

- Plugin state is not preserved yet, backup your sounds via external MIDI editors or bounce to DAW tracks
- Multi edits are not yet applied to the Multi edit buffer
- MIDI: Arrangement Request, Global Request, Total Request are coming in a later version

Download here: https://dsp56300.wordpress.com/downloads/

Buy us a coffee here: https://www.paypal.com/donate?hosted_bu ... X46LBRWNLG

Join our Discord Server: https://discord.gg/mveFUNbNCK

KVRist
426 posts since 5 Jan, 2004 from In the now

Post Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:01 pm

Donated. Thanks and keep up the excellent work.
"If less is more, just think of how much more, more will be".

Return to “Instruments”