Dune 3 on sale, should I get it?

VST, AU, AAX, etc. plug-in Virtual Instruments discussion
KVRAF
4522 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Post Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:21 am

Muziksculp wrote:
Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:37 pm
DUNE 3 is my favorite VST Synth. :tu:

I wonder if there will be a DUNE 4 ?

if he would just make a single filter version with a global lock (for the audio rate at minimum), and remove the faulty, quirky sample oscillator, i'd update tomorrow.

call it DUNE 3 SE version

and, if you build it off the dune 1 architecture, guaranteed it sells like hotcakes.

User avatar
KVRAF
3257 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Post Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:46 am

Teksonik wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:38 am
I've used 8 Voices a lot of times and countless times more than 4. The thing is DUNE 3 has two different methods for Unison, well actually three. You can use Unison at the Osc level or at the Voices level or you can use both Osc and Voice Unison.


D3 071221-3.png


Here the Spread is set to full which hard pans Voice 1 to the left and Voice 8 to the right. You can then apply Unison to the Oscs within each Voice if you wish.

You don't have to use all the Voices, hell you don't have to use more than one if you don't want. When you initialize a patch you're presented with one VA Osc through a LP Filter which is just about as simple as it gets. But then you have a ton of head room if you want to make more complex patches.

Bring in the Wavetable Oscs or the FM Oscs or the Sample Import...mix them in any combination and so on.

DUNE 3 is a synth that is perfect for beginners all the way up to experienced synthesists. :tu:

But again to the OP nothing is perfect so always demo demo demo.......
Do you have an audio of one of those 8-layer sounds?

I barely ever used two layers on Sylenth1, and my current go-to synth Retrologue 2 only has one layer.
Dune is all about unison, too much for non-EDM music in my view.

KVRAF
4522 posts since 22 Nov, 2012

Post Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:24 pm

Make the "fat" knob a "juice" knob, you know what to do with that.

User avatar
KVRAF
15508 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:36 pm

e-crooner wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:46 am
Do you have an audio of one of those 8-layer sounds?
Yes I do. Will I post it just so you can say you don't like it ? No.
e-crooner wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:46 am
I barely ever used two layers on Sylenth1, and my current go-to synth Retrologue 2 only has one layer.
Dune is all about unison, too much for non-EDM music in my view.
DUNE 3 is certainly not "all about Unison" as you can take advantage of the Wavetable, FM, and Sample engines or simply use the VA engine without using Unison. Do you have audio of Sylenth 1 or Retrologue being good for EDM ? If you think those two simple synths are good for EDM then there's no reason DUNE 3 couldn't be even more suited to the genre....in the right hands.

Sit down as this might shock you but not everyone likes or makes EDM. :o I couldn't possibly care less about EDM.

Look I get it DUNE 3 is too much synth for you and that's fine. Just stick with Sylenth 1 and Retrologue if that's what works for you. :tu:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRAF
1998 posts since 30 Dec, 2014

Post Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:27 pm

Has anyone ever been generous enough to upload any free sound/ preset packs for Dune ?
THE INTRANCER - KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source Transcend Into Software - Hardware - Music - 2D & 3D Art - Film - Games - VST's - Ensembles - GUI Design - Science & Technology | Soundcloud 28 | Soundclick 16

User avatar
KVRAF
15508 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:07 pm

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

AnX
KVRAF
9617 posts since 17 Nov, 2015

Post Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:07 pm

THE INTRANCER wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:27 pm
Has anyone ever been generous enough to upload any free sound/ preset packs for Dune ?
loads have, look in the Synapse forum

User avatar
KVRAF
3257 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Post Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:45 am

Teksonik wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:36 pm
e-crooner wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:46 am
Do you have an audio of one of those 8-layer sounds?
Yes I do. Will I post it just so you can say you don't like it ? No.
e-crooner wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:46 am
I barely ever used two layers on Sylenth1, and my current go-to synth Retrologue 2 only has one layer.
Dune is all about unison, too much for non-EDM music in my view.
DUNE 3 is certainly not "all about Unison" as you can take advantage of the Wavetable, FM, and Sample engines or simply use the VA engine without using Unison. Do you have audio of Sylenth 1 or Retrologue being good for EDM ? If you think those two simple synths are good for EDM then there's no reason DUNE 3 couldn't be even more suited to the genre....in the right hands.

Sit down as this might shock you but not everyone likes or makes EDM. :o I couldn't possibly care less about EDM.

Look I get it DUNE 3 is too much synth for you and that's fine. Just stick with Sylenth 1 and Retrologue if that's what works for you. :tu:
🐓 :hihi:


Well, the name is Dune for a reason.
On their site it says Dune stands for Differential Unison Engine.

(Funny, I accidentally typed 'dune syn5th' in Google, and it didn't find the synth. The Google AI seems to be rather primitive. It should have noticed what I meant.)

KVRAF
28819 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:53 am

e-crooner wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:45 am
(Funny, I accidentally typed 'dune syn5th' in Google, and it didn't find the synth. The Google AI seems to be rather primitive. It should have noticed what I meant.)
Actually, it's 10 times better than on any other search engine, that's why Google gets so much use.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
addled muppet weed
80691 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:54 am

chk071 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:53 am
e-crooner wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:45 am
(Funny, I accidentally typed 'dune syn5th' in Google, and it didn't find the synth. The Google AI seems to be rather primitive. It should have noticed what I meant.)
Actually, it's 10 times better than on any other search engine, that's why Google gets so much use.
did you find that fact using poogle?

KVRAF
28819 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:58 am

Yes, of course. :D

Nah, years of experience of using different search engines. They all suck apart from Google, really... best of the rest is probably Bing, but, it's not nearly as good as Google.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

KVRAF
5424 posts since 7 Feb, 2013

Post Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:00 am

e-crooner wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:45 am
(Funny, I accidentally typed 'dune syn5th' in Google, and it didn't find the synth. The Google AI seems to be rather primitive. It should have noticed what I meant.)
The first result here is a list of sounds for a ROM for Emu Proteus with sounds called "Dune" and ""syn: 5th Brass", that atcually seems more or less relevant
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

https://soundcloud.com/recursion-loop/s ... travels-ep

KVRist
52 posts since 19 Jun, 2021

Post Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:51 am

Dasheesh wrote:
Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:21 am
if he would just make a single filter version with a global lock (for the audio rate at minimum), and remove the faulty, quirky sample oscillator, i'd update tomorrow.
Faulty?

User avatar
KVRAF
3257 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Post Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:26 am

chk071 wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:53 am
e-crooner wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:45 am
(Funny, I accidentally typed 'dune syn5th' in Google, and it didn't find the synth. The Google AI seems to be rather primitive. It should have noticed what I meant.)
Actually, it's 10 times better than on any other search engine, that's why Google gets so much use.
Nope. I just tried it in Bing, the SA site was the first result :tu:

With Google it was not even on the first 10 pages, when I gave up.

User avatar
KVRAF
3257 posts since 22 Aug, 2019

Post Tue Jul 13, 2021 7:30 am

recursive one wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 6:00 am
e-crooner wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:45 am
(Funny, I accidentally typed 'dune syn5th' in Google, and it didn't find the synth. The Google AI seems to be rather primitive. It should have noticed what I meant.)
The first result here is a list of sounds for a ROM for Emu Proteus with sounds called "Dune" and ""syn: 5th Brass", that atcually seems more or less relevant
Not here, the first two results are on:

Validated near-atomic resolution structure of bacteriophage epsilon15 derived from cryo-EM and modeling

Whatever that is about :hihi:

Return to “Instruments”