Arturia V Collection 9. Predictions?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
V Collection X

I would love som Korg goodness like the MS-20, Polysix and Mono/Poly.

Korgs own recreations are a bit so so and super old.
"If less is more, just think of how much more, more will be".

I'm not so sure Arturia would be best for an MS-20. he filter is so important and Arturia's filters just aren't nearly a good as their competition. Compare their OB-Xa to obsession for example.

But yeah I agree that the Korg MS-20 isn't great. Diva is my go to for that, or The Drop with various inputs. Wouldn't mind seeing Synapse take it on.

I'm liking the digital Arturia synths, still not a huge fan of the analog ones, though I do like the Buchla and don't have the Synthi but it seems cool too. Would be interested if they refreshed the Arp 2600.

Gadget Fiend wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:07 am
SLiC wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 8:34 am Yeh, but your paying about 10 bucks each for these as part of the V Collection so to then but each one again individually for for 100 bucks plus each from another manufacturer may be over the top for many users...again, most users have never hard an original anyway!
But that's the scam. Arturia is counting on users never having heard the original synths. Arturia lures in new users by creating almost photorealistic GUI's that mimic the original hardware synths. Then based on the GUI, newbies can claim, "Hey, I got a Yamaha CS-80 for only $10!!!" Of course, what they have is a so-so sounding virtual analog synth that has all the limitations of the original synth but without the authentic sound. It's a business model that was built on deception.
This is where you kinda go off the deep end. It's not a scam to not have a perfect emulation. It would be a scam if you couldn't hear demos etc. It would be a scam if it was medical equipment that was supposed to save your life that did no do what it said it could do. Arturia at most are going to jab you for a couple hundred bucks, and you will still have synths that sound good, it's up to you to demo and determine if they did enough of a good job for you to part with your money, no one else is to blame if you did so and aren't happy.

This is the aliasing argument, some great synths alias, some people can't stand any aliasing at all. :smack:

Gadget Fiend wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:12 am Misrepresenting the products you sell (i.e., as accurate emulations of classic hardware synths) is a scam. Arturia "trumped" people by creating accurate representations (GUIs) of the classic hardware interfaces without delivering an authentic, convincing sound. That's a "bait and switch." In other words, a scam.
Well, just take 3 or 4 units of an ancient analog synth and you will find they all sound different. So, if you replace aging components like capacitors you will have the "original" back? I'm afraid this doesn't work for these type of analog synths. And the then affordable components let's say from the 70's quite often had tolerances of up to 20%. It always will be an emulation of a specific unit. Or an average of some. And if you own one too to some extend (or more) it will sound different from the "accurate" emulation. So calling it a scam and not a accurate emulation, I wouldn't go that far on old analogs.

Though maybe "interpretations" would be better than "emulations".

I would love an an1x-v that has the insane aliasing of the hardware (especially in the hard sync and FM). In general I like the digital emulations they've been doing in more recent times. I'm not really in the market for more emulations of specific old analog gear (accurate or not).
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

I wouldn't say it's highly unlikely, but I wouldn't classify the AN1x as a vintage synth. So far there have only been 80s synths, or older, in the V-Collection, and the AN1x is from the later parts of the 90s.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

pepelogu wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 1:55 pm I would love som Korg goodness like the MS-20, Polysix and Mono/Poly.

Korgs own recreations are a bit so so and super old.
I don't have a Polysix or Mono/Poly, but I do have an MS-20 Mini, and the MS-20 plugin is actually pretty good. At first I thought it was terrible, but on closer inspection I realized the parameter ranges are just wildly different, and trying to make them sound the same by matching knob positions is a hopeless endeavor. Once I started matching them by ear instead, I found the plugin is surprisingly capable of sounding very close to the hardware after all. There are a few key points:
  • The filters in the plugin have a much greater frequency range. They usually need to be set lower than the hardware to match.
  • The plugin doesn't let you route the signal out and back in to distort it, but you can instead use the Distortion effect, which gets you into the same territory.
  • The output level of the plugin is kinda low (most likely a simple way to avoid clipping when you enable polyphony). You can use an empty effect slot and just turn up the input/output gain to boost the overall output level.
Even then, yeah, the plugin can't be pushed as hard as the hardware. Like most emulations, really high resonance can sound bad in a digital way. I'm sure it's possible to do a better MS-20 emulation, but the Korg plugin, despite being pretty old, is much better than most people think it is.
Stormchild

machinesworking wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:03 pm
Gadget Fiend wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:07 am But that's the scam. Arturia is counting on users never having heard the original synths. Arturia lures in new users by creating almost photorealistic GUI's that mimic the original hardware synths. Then based on the GUI, newbies can claim, "Hey, I got a Yamaha CS-80 for only $10!!!" Of course, what they have is a so-so sounding virtual analog synth that has all the limitations of the original synth but without the authentic sound. It's a business model that was built on deception.
This is where you kinda go off the deep end. It's not a scam to not have a perfect emulation. It would be a scam if you couldn't hear demos etc. Arturia at most are going to jab you for a couple hundred bucks, and you will still have synths that sound good, it's up to you to demo and determine if they did enough of a good job for you to part with your money, no one else is to blame if you did so and aren't happy.
Okay, "scam" is probably not the best term to describe Arturia's business practices. "Scam" conjures up images of street hustlers conning you out of your money. That's not what Arturia has done.

But Arturia is definitely guilty of misrepresenting the accuracy of their earlier analog models. I don't know if you remember, but Arturia had a whole section of the their website touting their "TAE" (true analog emulation) technology.

Regarding TAE, Arturia went on and on about how there was almost no aliasing in their instruments. That's all well and good. But ensuring your signal is free of any digital artifacts is only the start of developing a good sounding analog emulation. There are SO many other factors to consider, such as the character of the filter, the shape of the envelopes, the accuracy of audio rate modulations, etc.

Arturia got very few of these other properties right in their earlier analog emulations (even if they did sound clean).

But people who didn't know any better bought the instruments based on the TAE marketing hype and the idea that because the Arturia instruments looked like the original hardware, they must sound like them (because if the emulations have all the same onscreen controls as the original hardware instruments, how could these emulations not sound like the hardware?)

Anyway, hopefully that's all in the past and Arturia continues to release really good sounding emulations.
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

starflakeprj wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:28 pm I wouldn't say it's highly unlikely, but I wouldn't classify the AN1x as a vintage synth. So far there have only been 80s synths, or older, in the V-Collection, and the AN1x is from the later parts of the 90s.
I doubt it'll happen, but people are throwing around JP8000s and Fizmos. Just my particular wish. It is over 25 years old at this point too.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:23 pm I would love an an1x-v that has the insane aliasing of the hardware (especially in the hard sync and FM). In general I like the digital emulations they've been doing in more recent times. I'm not really in the market for more emulations of specific old analog gear (accurate or not).
Although the interface left a little to be desired, the AN1x was one of the best sounding virtual analog synths of the 90s. At the time I owned a Virus A rack, a Nord Rack 1, and an AN1x as my controller keyboard. I thought the AN1x sounded the most authentically analog of the bunch. But I did love the squelchiness of my Virus and the really punchy, aggressive sound of the Nord.

Speaking of Clavia, I would love to see a spot on emulation of the Nord 3. That is a classic instrument with one of the best synth interfaces ever designed.
Matrix-1000, MicroWave with Access programmer, MicroWave II, MKS-50 with MidiClub programmer, MKS-70, MKS-80 with Kiwi Patch Editor, Nord 2 Rack, Nord 3 Rack, Prophet REV2 module, Pulse 2, Shruthi, Virus TI

You can go through this Minimoog tutorial from Dr. Mix and recreate everything Claudio is doing exactly with Arturia Mini V3 and they sound nearly identical at the same settings. The only slight difference between his Minimoog and the Arturia model is some of the OSC rates at the extreme ends do not line up exactly. But they're not going to line up exactly between two different real Minimoog units, either.

So anytime I see someone claiming the Arturia's Minimoog is somehow lacking, I know they're just repeating some falsehood they read somewhere (probably on this forum.)

Go through and try it yourself and see just how dead accurate the Mini really is.

And since it started life as an official Moog emulation, every knob is where it should be, and every setting is exactly how it is on the real Mini, unlike models from other devs, so there is no "translation" or approximation required.

https://youtu.be/0hfdSrK46EE
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:57 am So anytime I see someone claiming the Arturia's Minimoog is somehow lacking, I know they're just repeating some falsehood they read somewhere (probably on this forum.)
Dude, I'm talking about Mini V, the original Arturia instrument, not V3 that has been significantly updated under the hood to improve the character of the filter and other sound qualities. There is wide consensus that the original Mini V did not sound authentic.

jamcat wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:57 am https://youtu.be/0hfdSrK46EE
Oh my god, I started to watch the YouTube clip and discovered it's "Dr. Mix." He is such a dopey goof! I had to stop watching. LOL.

Who cares about some 17 year old version?
The current version is the only one that matters in 2021.
And the original was "Minimoog V", because it was originally an official Minimoog model, before Moog decided they wanted to do their own and pulled their licensing.

BTW, I'm not talking specifically about you. I see this nonsense about the Mini repeated all the time like it's gospel, from people who have clearly never compared it to a real Minimoog (and are probably fanboys shilling for some other developer who has their own version to sell.)

And say what you want about Dr. Mix, but he knows his stuff, and this particular tutorial is high quality, in-depth and easy to follow along with on your own, so it's excellent for a 1:1 comparison.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

jamcat wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:19 am Who cares about some 17 year old version?
Jesus, does NO ONE on KVR actually finish reading a post before firing off some rash reply. You're missing the point. Why does a 17 year old version of MIni V matter? Because my point is that Arturia got its start through shady marketing, particularly all the hype surrounding their "True Analog Emulation" technology. They were clearly less than honest then. Minimoog V was not a "true" emulation of anything. Actually, it was a rather mediocre plugin. It took Arturia 3 more versions over 17 years to finally get it right. Geez, people have short memories (or were maybe too young to remember how Arturia got its start).

Return to “Instruments”