Introducing EXC!TE SNARE DRUM a physical modeling snare synthesizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
EXC!TE SNARE DRUM EXC!TE SNARE DRUM PRO

Hi everyone, this is our first post here and we'd like to present to you EXC!TE SNARE DRUM, a physical modeling snare synthesizer. You can either use the in-built exciter to trigger it with MIDI notes, or you can feed an audio side-chain directly into the digital waveguide resonator. There are many parameters, all of which you can manipulate in real time at audio rate.

Free version: https://www.kvraudio.com/product/exc-te ... n-research

Pro version with side-chain: https://www.kvraudio.com/product/exc-te ... n-research

This is the first plugin from The Center for Haptic Audio Interaction Research (CHAIR) and we are looking forward for feedback and encouragement. We have many more ideas for plugins and this is a test run for us. If EXC!TE SNARE DRUM doing well, we'll be able to extend this line quickly.

I would, but I'm not comfortable with registering. It feels like you are trying to suck me into something.

It just asks for an email. We should all have secondary addresses for such sign up accounts.

Anyway my first impressions are the snares don't sound good and there seems to be a second hit triggered with note off or key up when triggering from a midi keyboard.

So for those reasons I'll uninstall but good luck with your future endeavors.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

I think you forgot to implement an actual user interface? Because it looks like a plain piece of white paper with writing on it...
How am I supposed to know what is and isn't clickable? Absolutely ridiculous.

Hey CHAIR, I am on an x86 setup and I can run x86 VST3s fine, but this doesn't recognize. I don't think I have an x86 file here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

There are three certainties in life: death, taxes, and getting whined at if you are kind enough to give away something for free on KVR.

Anyway, it worked without errors on my system (Reaper x64 Windows 10) and sounds good once you dial the settings in! I made a little demo of a few different sounds you can get from it, not dry but mixed/processed like any other snare recording would be: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8d7d5cabmstmb ... o.mp3?dl=1

Erisian wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:29 pm I would, but I'm not comfortable with registering. It feels like you are trying to suck me into something.
Thank you for the feedback.
We're trying to remove the registration requirement for the free version. We do like to keep track of the download count though. This wordpress/woocommerce setup has an ridiculous amount of settings and it's sometimes complicated to find the right relevant options... So bear with us!

nineofkings wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:42 pm There are three certainties in life: death, taxes, and getting whined at if you are kind enough to give away something for free on KVR.

Anyway, it worked without errors on my system (Reaper x64 Windows 10) and sounds good once you dial the settings in! I made a little demo of a few different sounds you can get from it, not dry but mixed/processed like any other snare recording would be: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8d7d5cabmstmb ... o.mp3?dl=1
Thank you so much for the kind words and the demo track!
In Reaper, the easter egg preset also works to get a freaky delay sound. Give it a try :)

MutantHero wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:09 pm Hey CHAIR, I am on an x86 setup and I can run x86 VST3s fine, but this doesn't recognize. I don't think I have an x86 file here.
We are only shipping a 64 bit (x64) architecture at this point. We didn't think that x86 32 bit is still a thing nowadays, are we wrong with that assumption?
Last edited by CHAIR on Wed Jul 28, 2021 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Well, in my case perhaps! I can't even JBridge down to x86 'cos it's a VST3, and I understand that.

Sorry man, I wasn't complaining. I just wanna bang on the drum all day. This thing look "playable"!

nineofkings wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:42 pm sounds good once you dial the settings in!
I "dialed in" the settings all over the place and the snares it created were weak and thin as proven by your demo but I'm interested in where they take the technology.

This snare plugin isn't for me since I have a lot of other plugins capable of making better snares but perhaps their next plugin will be something worth keeping. :tu:
nineofkings wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:42 pm There are three certainties in life: death, taxes, and getting whined at if you are kind enough to give away something for free on KVR.
Not whining just giving my honest opinion since.....
CHAIR wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:09 pm we are looking forward for feedback
:wink:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

love the look and sound of the pro version in the video - any plans for other physical models?

MutantHero wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 8:17 pm Sorry man, I wasn't complaining. I just wanna bang on the drum all day. This thing look "playable"!
No problem, this is Windows, right? Which Windows version? What's your plugin host? Maybe we can compile it differently.
Last edited by CHAIR on Sat Jul 24, 2021 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

fairlyclose wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 9:40 pm love the look and sound of the pro version in the video - any plans for other physical models?
Thank you! We do have another waveguide model, it makes sounds like everything between a sheet of metal to a ride cymbal. If the feedback from this snare is good, we will put this into a VST.

Return to “Instruments”