4462 posts since 4 Aug, 2006 from Helsinki

Post Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:01 am

double

GRRRRRRR!
12505 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:25 pm

Rastkovic wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:26 am
Interesting, the pure sound of the Korg ARP Odyssey VST without FX sounds harsh and not very pleasing to me. Filtered sounds with the envelope are okay, but every time the filter opens, it makes the hairs stand up on my back of the neck.
You say that like it is a bad thing but that's what I love about it. It has a raw quality to the sound that works almost anywhere. I do have to admit, though, that I pretty much never use it without unison. Even with only 3 voices, it gives the sound body and depth that really works for me in almost any situation. My default starting point for patching is the Init patch with unison at 5 voices.
Harry_HH wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:00 am
1. Funny question - you mean its OK to overload cpu 200%+, if the i7 is ”old”.
No, I mean maybe your CPU is too old to handle modern plugins? Or, if you are using a new CPU, maybe there is a problem with your computer. When I was trying to get our live set working on a Surface Pro with a 6th Gen Core i7, I realised pretty quickly that I wasn't going to be able to use ARP Odyssey or bx_oberhausen or Knifonium on live versions of any of our songs. I didn't blame the plugins, I accepted the reality that a 6 year old CPU could not be expected to run these plugins. OTOH, you seem to think it's the plugin's fault that you have an old computer which doesn't make much sense to me.
If you don’t need you change the page, why create a two-page GUI?
Right because there has never been a VSTi created that doesn't have every parameter on the main screen. As with many other emulations, they show the parameters of the original synth on the main page and hide all the add-ons elsewhere. Brainworx and Arturia make a collapsible panel above the main GUI, Softube have a slide-out panel that overlays the main page (Model 84 does, at least) and Korg do it with a scrollable GUI. Korg even offers you different window sizes that hide or reveal more of the interface. I think their solution is brilliant, my favourite by far.
I have a scroll mouse, several, use with my studio desk top. But the idea of the laptop is being mobile, and use it in the lap (as the name indicates), i.e. minimize extra gadget - if the scroll mouse is not inbuilt to the laptop,I don’t drag an external mouse with me just because the bad design of a plugin.
But you put up with a trackpad, the poorest design imaginable (especially when working on your lap)? I always turn my trackpad off when I get a new laptop, it is a complete waste of space. My travel mouse folds almost flat and sits in a pocket in the neoprene (BUILT NY) sleeve I put the laptop in, before putting it in my laptop bag. They are like this, although knock-offs I got for around $30, not proper Microsoft ones.
I have one grey and one black so I don't get them confused. (You have to constantly re-pair them if you use them with multiple devices so it's easier to have two - one for laptop, one for Surface/tablet.) I use all that useless, dead space to the right of the trackpad on the laptop as a mousepad when I'm on the go and it works a treat. A laptop is just a dead weight without a mouse as far as I'm concerned.
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win10(64), Evo8 | Studio One | JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, GR-8, Thorn, Equator, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

KVRist
303 posts since 26 Jul, 2018 from Germany

Post Sun Aug 08, 2021 1:35 am

BONES wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 5:25 pm
Rastkovic wrote:
Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:26 am
Interesting, the pure sound of the Korg ARP Odyssey VST without FX sounds harsh and not very pleasing to me. Filtered sounds with the envelope are okay, but every time the filter opens, it makes the hairs stand up on my back of the neck.
You say that like it is a bad thing but that's what I love about it. It has a raw quality to the sound that works almost anywhere. I do have to admit, though, that I pretty much never use it without unison. Even with only 3 voices, it gives the sound body and depth that really works for me in almost any situation. My default starting point for patching is the Init patch with unison at 5 voices.
No, it's not a bad thing, but then we cannot talk of an authentic emulation. I also like the MS20 VST, but same here, not as an emulation. And yes, Odyssey VST with unison turned on, sounds indeed really nice....

GRRRRRRR!

Post Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:50 pm

I don't care about authentic emulation. I see no point in it at all, much like old cars. I like them because they are easy to use synths that usually sound great but you couldn't give me any of the originals. (Well, you could but I'd just sell them and keep the money.)
NOVAkILL : Zenbook Duo, Core i7, 16GB RAM, Win10(64), Evo8 | Studio One | JP6K, Union, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Invader, Concept, GR-8, Thorn, Equator, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

KVRist
482 posts since 9 Apr, 2005 from Japan

Post Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:50 pm

But if you do care about authentic emulation, the ARP Odyssey plugin is authentic as it gets, because it sounds exactly like the hardware. I have both and I’ve perfectly matched many sounds from the hardware with the plugin. People who say it doesn’t (and actually have the hardware to compare it with) have simply made the mistake of visually matching the slider positions (which never works) rather than tweaking it by ear.
Stormchild

GRRRRRRR!

Post Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:43 pm

Why would you, though? Korg's plugin sounds way, way better than the original, simply because it's got unison and polyphony. Ditto for bx_oberhausen, The Legend and a host of others. That's case closed for me.

Return to “Instruments”