One Synth Challenge #150: TAL-NoiseMaker (Aiynzahev wins!)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

How are mseg points being manipulated? Through the preset files?

Also, why did ELEX get so angry??

@Aro: Don't let these Oh So Clever guys get to you ;)

ELEX wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:28 pm @Aro: Don't let these Oh So Clever guys get to you ;)
Agreed, they're all Obnoxiously Snide Competitors.

briefcasemanx wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:57 am ...Also, why did ELEX get so angry??
I didn't. Get angry, that is. Merely annoyed. By the clear suggestion that the finding of hacks like these would be indicative of a deep level of "skill and understanding" and as such should be considered when voting. Not the application of the hack, just the finding of it.

AFAIK know the challenge is not even about that, it's about showing one can get a given instrument to work in the context of a track with restrained use of effects.

z.prime wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:20 pm
ELEX wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 3:28 pm @Aro: Don't let these Oh So Clever guys get to you ;)
Agreed, they're all Obnoxiously Snide Competitors.
Missed that one while typing. Best one yet ! :lol:

Are we allowed to force a track to mono using the DAW? For example I want to use the onboard reverb but it's too wide or I want the resulting track to be mono. Thanks
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

Aiynzahev wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:26 pm Are we allowed to force a track to mono using the DAW? For example I want to use the onboard reverb but it's too wide or I want the resulting track to be mono. Thanks
I don't see a problem with that.

z.prime wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:30 pm
Aiynzahev wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:26 pm Are we allowed to force a track to mono using the DAW? For example I want to use the onboard reverb but it's too wide or I want the resulting track to be mono. Thanks
I don't see a problem with that.
I also really like the onboard chorus but it's too wide for a lot of what I want, it sounds great in mono though.
Aiynzahev-sounds
Sound Designer - Soundsets for Pigments, Repro, Diva, Virus TI, Nord Lead 4, Serum, DUNE2, Spire, and others

ELEX wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:06 pm
Aro wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:27 pm I'm having a little bit of trouble with the level of my track after mixdown...
It can pay to have a look at the frequency content of the mix. ( Very ) high frequencies will not be all that audible, but will eat up head room. TDR Nova has fine filters to address possible issues, inc. very steep ones.
Thanks Elex. I tried to cut off the extremely high frequencies, but still didn't seem to make a difference. Still tackling the problem. Hopefully it doesn't discourage me from entering this month.

Aro wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:33 pm
ELEX wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:06 pm
Aro wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:27 pm I'm having a little bit of trouble with the level of my track after mixdown...
It can pay to have a look at the frequency content of the mix. ( Very ) high frequencies will not be all that audible, but will eat up head room. TDR Nova has fine filters to address possible issues, inc. very steep ones.
Thanks Elex. I tried to cut off the extremely high frequencies, but still didn't seem to make a difference. Still tackling the problem. Hopefully it doesn't discourage me from entering this month.
Bass frequencies carry way more energy, so I'd rather suggest a lowcut at, say, 25 or 30 Hz. See if that makes a difference....

ELEX wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 4:26 pm
briefcasemanx wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 10:57 am ...Also, why did ELEX get so angry??
I didn't. Get angry, that is. Merely annoyed. By the clear suggestion that the finding of hacks like these would be indicative of a deep level of "skill and understanding" and as such should be considered when voting. Not the application of the hack, just the finding of it.

AFAIK know the challenge is not even about that, it's about showing one can get a given instrument to work in the context of a track with restrained use of effects.
Yeah I dunno. First they asked if it was even allowed in the first place. Then they made a comment about how it would be interesting to see how technical achievement would be valued vs composition, (which is really up to the individual voter). I don't see anything to get upset or annoyed by in their post, I think you've overreacted.

Maybe I did. Something to consider, for sure. In any case, I'll be aiming for more understated responses in such matters. If any at all.

Here's a drum patch in the attached zip. Unzip the ".noisemakerpreset" to the patch directory.

It uses amplitude modulation by the splinepoint hack ...
It consists of two main parts:
a.) programmatically generated spline points of a "noise burst" (Random generator)
b.) programmatically generated "sine" with constantely decreasing frequency towards the end.

a.) and b.) are blended over with a blendFactor (inverted exp function) like: a*blendfactor+b*(1-blendfactor). Meaning in the begining theres a short noise burst folowed by the "sine" body.
TAL.drumpoints.png
It's 4000 spline points.

You can play with the "factor", i.e. set it to "x32"... probably this will give you a nice etom... but who I am... to tell you stuff...

Anyway... Nobody used the zombie patch I have posted before, right ... a patch that can "nearly say" zombie if you listen carefully. It's not a sample. It's just a excel sheet of numbers (okay - on that I have extracted from wavosaur, but actually only a textfile with numbers between -1 and 1 :-), that I have loaded into my java programm and emittted splinepoints. Just making fun of you guys...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by ] Peter:H [ on Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

@ Elex, thanks for the encouragement to look past what one person thinks, and keep participating even if my technical abilities aren't as advanced as most of everyone here. I'm here to learn. And I'm glad there is a diversity of opinions as to how everyone judges entries.

@PeterH, a patch that nearly says "zombie" is pretty impressive

] Peter:H [ wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:58 pm Here's a drum patch ... the zombie patch
I will reiterate: attempting to emulate waveform playback using sample playback and wavetable oscillators is definitely against the spirit of the rules. I would proffer that an extrapolation of this is: attempting to emulate waveform playback by any means including populating an LFO with points effectively from a sample (or a synthesized sample) is against the spirit of the rules. Sadly, Vital with its voice synthesis contradicts this and I would say should be allowed. Oh, the Ostensibly Sorely Confused rules.

Return to “Instruments”